• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Knowledge Backround of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is Your Knowledge Background
Mathematics
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Physical Sciences
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Biological Sciences
15%
 15%  [ 19 ]
Engineering
5%
 5%  [ 7 ]
Information Sciences
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
Social Sciences
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
Law
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Finance
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Humanities
12%
 12%  [ 15 ]
Fine Arts
10%
 10%  [ 12 ]
Performing Arts
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Applied Arts
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Technical Work
5%
 5%  [ 6 ]
Craft Work
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 119

larinon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
So are you saying you don't know the difference between a hard science and a soft science or do you simply dislike that some people believe there is a difference?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
So are you saying you don't know the difference between a hard science and a soft science or do you simply dislike that some people believe there is a difference?
I believe the difference only exists because people are afraid of hard scienctific standards, and sometimes political reasons too, but mostly because treating the soft sciences as outside natural science justifies presenting dubious research as science. You can see this quite clearly in something like the irrational response to Napoleon Chagnon. If all human behaviour originates in the brain then it is the subject matter of biology because humans are animals, therefore nothing in the 'soft sciences' can be understood without such reference to biology. Smile
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I have a well, a background in biotechnology and if Biological science count as part of Biotech. I'm just surprised most of the people on the poll are people with biological science background.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I chose Mathematics as I am an accountant annoyingly I didn't pay much attention until it was to late and realised that Finance was smack bang in the middle...

It's just that everyone can account. Yesterday I was accounting for the odd socks in my drawer. Sock fraud skyrockets as we speak.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Self-taught linguist here. I can read scholarly linguistics articles publushed in scientific journals with relative ease, and I quite often fin myself reading reference grammars to foreign languages.

I am mostly all-round when it comes to linguistics, due to my hobby of conlanging--I know my way around phonetics, morphology, and historical linguistics. I have very little knowledge of extremely abstract and high-level syntax, however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5