• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Samurai 7 Anime Debuts on Toonami on August 19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm interested, but only because I haven't seen Samurai 7 before. But if I had, this would be a big pass. What I've heard of it makes me think of a large boring big budget production that only serves as a way to tell the audience "Watch the Kurosawa film, please." Maybe I'm wrong? I've never heard much in the way of true praise for this title, it never comes up in discussion.

Well having seen/own both the movie and the anime I think that the anime is definitely worth watching if you have seen the movie (the reverse is true as well). While the anime isn't as classic as the movie I think it is underrated by most of the anime fandom.
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I would imagine that Black Lagoon would make a slaying in the ratings if they ever get it there.

Totally AGREE! Black Lagoon would be the perfect show for Toonami, it be a good lead up to the 3rd season, whenever FUNi gets around to dub it.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
God could they have chosen a more awful show? Jesus Samurai Seven is terrible. Surly, Funimation has other shit they want to sell and could give to Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Ovan~the~Rebirth wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
I would imagine that Black Lagoon would make a slaying in the ratings if they ever get it there.

Totally AGREE! Black Lagoon would be the perfect show for Toonami, it be a good lead up to the 3rd season, whenever FUNi gets around to dub it.

The thing is, those cost money for Adult Swim/Toonami to procure for airing, and when something Black Lagoon remains such a big lauded title, it will be more expensive. Samurai 7 might have once been big, but it's left the mind of fans and been forgotten along with its old CGI. I don't even see it crop up in GONZO-hate threads.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I originally saw it on tv and I remember the show being a real mixed bag. Some of the character designs were cool and it was an ok story. Some of the voice acting was pretty good, but some of it grated (the girl in the openings always made me want to cover my ears). Some of the action was fun, if not a bit ridiculous, but there were also some scenes were the animation and art broke down very badly. A small breakdown usually doesn't even faze me but in this show it was distracting enough that it really bugged me. I know there was more stuff that bothered me, but I can't recall at this time. The weaknesses have always kept me from buying it even when the Blu-ray has been fairly cheap.

Its not a bad show to have on a toonami type of block, as there's enough action to keep people watching. But to me it doesn't quite have enough of a "wow" factor or an edginess to get people recommending it to friends.

I wonder if maybe Claymore might work? Its got its pluses and minuses too.
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm interested, but only because I haven't seen Samurai 7 before. But if I had, this would be a big pass. What I've heard of it makes me think of a large boring big budget production that only serves as a way to tell the audience "Watch the Kurosawa film, please." Maybe I'm wrong? I've never heard much in the way of true praise for this title, it never comes up in discussion.

I'll start by saying that personally, I adored this show. For the sake of discussion, I will say that the show has a lot going for it but it isn't perfect. The much higher budget per episode makes it look a lot better for its time than most other shows. That being said, the 2D-3D mixing was done in 2004(?) so it doesn't look nearly as crisp as something like Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn might look today. The characters are all very strong and they all look impeccable across the board. Given the source material, this show probably should've been given the right to cut itself by a few episodes - down to the 18-20 range - in order to make it flow faster; the flow never seemed poorly done but merely consistently slow.

There is a lot more to be said regarding this title but overall, it's one of those shows I would implore any anime fan to at least try. Given the lack of a classic hack-and-slash samurai show on Adult Swim in recent memory (I could be forgetting something though), I think it could be a good fit.

In the future, however, I think Toonami needs to look into shows that are a little shorter and more flashy/upbeat. Adding Samurai 7 is a good idea but doesn't provide much of a foil against their other shows like Casshern Sins or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
What about the Deadman Wonderland OVA? Toonami showed the Durarara OVAs...

This is a decent pickup I guess since Toonami wanted this show back in the day, but lost the bid to IFC.
Splitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
It's a good fit for the network, but.... it's old, really old by anime standards, and its not their best choice for the network either.

This is FUNimation, the licensor that holds the American rights for Black Lagoon, Eden of the East, Soul Eater, Future Diary, many others, and most notably Panty & Stocking - the show everyone has been wanting to see on Adult Swim since it first aired. This is just sad coming from them.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
As I recall, they wanted this for Adult Swim years ago, but IFC outbid them.

It seems like an fitting choice for the block, but it isn't exactly fresh being as it's been available on home video for years and aired on television once before.

Oh well, at least they were able to support another acquisition, even though this was not a premium item, and won't have a rerun dead zone at 12:30 when Deadman Wonderland ends.

I'll be watching.

Splitter wrote:
This is FUNimation, the licensor that holds the American rights for Black Lagoon, Eden of the East, Soul Eater, Future Diary, many others, and most notably Panty & Stocking - the show everyone has been wanting to see on Adult Swim since it first aired. This is just sad coming from them.

I wonder if this represents what Toonami can afford as much as anything else. I doubt that this was their first pick. Black Lagoon seems like a natural fit, but I guess that it's either not at offer or too expensive.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I guess they're dusting off the crap that nobody cared about because it's cheaper to get airing rights for. Samurai 7? What's next, Solty Rei?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
YES! Very Happy
This is great!!!
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Whats this Toonami going under crap?Toonami's ratings are great as a matter of fact last week deadman wonderland broke the 1 million viewer mark not bad for being aired at 12:30 Am.http://toonamifaithful.com/content.php?81-Toonami-Ratings-July-21st-2012
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Hiro94 wrote:
Whats this Toonami going under crap?Toonami's ratings are great as a matter of fact last week deadman wonderland broke the 1 million viewer mark not bad for being aired at 12:30 Am.http://toonamifaithful.com/content.php?81-Toonami-Ratings-July-21st-2012

Because those numbers appear high there, but still reside at the bottom of the rankings when you add all of the other Adult Swim properties on. I think the highest anything got was Bleach into the 70s.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
As I recall, they wanted this for Adult Swim years ago, but IFC outbid them.

Didn't that also happen between them and TechTV for Last Exile as well?
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Hiro94 wrote:

Because those numbers appear high there, but still reside at the bottom of the rankings when you add all of the other Adult Swim properties on. I think the highest anything got was Bleach into the 70s.
I know but for that time slot?Realistically what show on tv gets a million views at 12:30 am?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10