• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Samurai 7 Anime Debuts on Toonami on August 19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
This is odd. Funimation could've use Panty & Stocking, or their recent anime they dubbed. But Samurai 7, that anime is 8 years old. I don't know if this is going to attract people.

I just watched the first episode on Youtube, and the first several minutes didn't quite hook me. Then I tried the second episode.....nothing.

Yeah, guess i'm watching something else or going out to the strip clubs Saturday night. I wanna support Toonami, but given the lackluster effort and the meager offerings........they need to do something groundbreaking to make the block worth watching again.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The only requirement for me to watch something on Toonami is that I haven't seen it before. Since they're not rerunning Deadman Wonderland, I guess I'll be giving Samurai 7 a try. I know practically nothing about the series, so I don't have any expectations. Hopefully it's interesting.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Only read the first few pages, but it seems like there are a lot of people practically rooting for anime to fail on broadcast TV. Really sad.
All the anime fans in the USA ask is that Anime be treated with some decorum of respect. Acquire new shows, air it at a reasonable time, promote it adequately, retire it to make way for new content after sometime, and establish rapport with the fans. [adult swim] unfortunately goes in the opposite direction.

What do you expect from a station that literally goes out of their way to complain about their viewership, has consistently aired an anime series for over a decade nonstop to the point spoiler tags are redundant, utilizes bizarre scheduling changes, doesn't even remotely bother to promote the shows they air, and has never done anything right when it come to anime in general?
Has [as] every really complained? One of their favorite things to do is make fun of anime fans. [as] is known for sarcasm, it's their favorite way of speech, guaranteed. I mean what would you expect when they proclaimed Gigantor was one of their favorite anime?

If they truly complained, they'd later have cut anime completely years ago because it doesn't get all that good of ratings, especially those dialogue-heavy shows since the [as] audience is more into action-heavy shows (Even if they're not that good.*Cough*Deadman Wonderland*Cough*) rather than dialogue-heavy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Has [as] every really complained? One of their favorite things to do is make fun of anime fans. [as] is known for sarcasm, it's their favorite way of speech, guaranteed. I mean what would you expect when they proclaimed Gigantor was one of their favorite anime?

If they truly complained, they'd later have cut anime completely years ago because it doesn't get all that good of ratings, especially those dialogue-heavy shows since the [as] audience is more into action-heavy shows (Even if they're not that good.*Cough*Deadman Wonderland*Cough*) rather than dialogue-heavy.

Judging from some of the bumps, they seem to bitch and moan more than practice sarcasm.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:

Judging from some of the bumps, they seem to bitch and moan more than practice sarcasm.
So if they're complaining about the ratings and all that jazz, then why do they continue to air anime? They could get rid of the anime completely, and throw in 6 full hours of Family Guy re-runs and get actually real good ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Only read the first few pages, but it seems like there are a lot of people practically rooting for anime to fail on broadcast TV. Really sad.

It's like this because anime never garners good ratings on western TV. It just never does. After it's been tried tons of times, people get pessimistic.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

It's like this because anime never garners good ratings on western TV. It just never does. After it's been tried tons of times, people get pessimistic.

That's because anime, much like comedy, drama, etc, is not this monolithic entity. There's anime people like, and anime people don't like.

Adult Swim though, keeps getting the same type of anime that has failed before. It's borderline asinine at this point.

Finally, let me just say something to the people who think that this is betraying Toonami or betraying Tom or something. Please stop. I like good shows. It's why I have a Hulu subscription. I don't care if the bumpers have a CGI robot or Charlie Sheen as long as the show is good. The problem here is that well...Casshern Sins and now Samurai 7.

If you really want to watch an animated take on the Seven Samurai, watch A Bug's Life. It's a pretty good movie.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
They buy anime that is cheap, not because of it's genre.

But Samurai 7 is a great anime and I'm happy it's getting some air time. Even if you don't like it, you aren't required to watch it. I haven't watched Casshern Sins at all and I haven't said boo about that series since it started airing.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Finally, let me just say something to the people who think that this is betraying Toonami or betraying Tom or something.

Okay, stopping you right there.

[adult swim] is using the Toonami brand right now as a nostalgia gimmick. They rode the fandom wanting back abit of their.......past........back that CN/AS took away a few scant years ago and replaced with the dreck of a programming block that values a show about two a$$holes willing to hit each other in the balls with a chinko machine while dressed up in drag like a Woman Suffragette from the 1910's. Or a show of poorly drawn cartoon characters that looks like a 4 year old hyped up on Red Bull would make. Or a show where they play up to stereotypes that makes stereotypes protest in disgust!! And now they wish to bolster their ratings by bringing back a nostalgia kick full of gullible idiots by subjecting us to stupid dreck and repeated airings of tired shows. HEY SPOILERS YOU FOLKS, EVERYONE DIES IN GITS AND CB. EVEN THE STUPID CORGI!!

So yeah, it's an insult to Toonami as a whole. To the block, to T.O.M., to S.A.R.A, to the Clydes, and to the Absolution.
Yugi12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
What's with all the Casshern Sins hate? Casshern Sins is a great anime.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
Yugi12 wrote:
What's with all the Casshern Sins hate? Casshern Sins is a great anime.

They forgot the duck.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
[adult swim] is using the Toonami brand right now as a nostalgia gimmick. They rode the fandom wanting back abit of their.......past........back...

Seriously, man?

Well, you know what...

The Pope is Catholic,
The sky is blue,
Roses are red
And I love you

Well, that last line is for somebody else... *sigh*

Reviving Toonami in this day and age could only ever be nostalgia. The circumstances that allowed it to exist as we first knew it in the late nineties onward don't exist anymore and even if they did, most of the older fan who wandered back would be drawn by the nostalgia. And there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that, because at the end of the day, the feelings that motivated us to watch Toonami back then weren't really any nobler or complex, just motivated by the immediate. I see nostalgia get kick around more than Richard Nixon, but I don't think that it deserves that treatment. Nostalgia is here just a different twist on deriving pleasure from entertainment, not somehow malignant or debased. It's not as though we're stifling art or impeding social progress by wanting to watch our Japanese cartoons with a funny computer-generated robot man who has a cool voice and a space ship because we liked doing that in the past.

Sunday Silence wrote:
So yeah, it's an insult to Toonami as a whole. To the block, to T.O.M., to S.A.R.A, to the Clydes, and to the Absolution.

How is it that I seem to be like the new Toonami more than some people, but evidently value it less? This kind of language elevates Toonami too highly. Toonami is not some transcendent artwork, great philosopher or other great human achievement. It's an animation block that I used to love watching and that it feels kind of nice to have back, but not something sacred. To treat it as such is hanging your identity on an awfully silly hook.

I am so glad that I can't access whatever part of the brain makes some people so insensibly angry over things like this.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Samurai 7? Another real old show? Well it's probably dirt cheap to get the airing rights to right now, but will it even get the ratings now? Wasn't this show really popular at one time?
I don't consider 8 years old to be that old. But this show has already been on TV. They could have chosen something we haven't bought already. Besides AS could have put this show on years ago.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I look foward to watching it when it Premiers. I've only seen afew episodes, so watching the whole thing on Toonami will be pretty fun. Very Happy
Yoda117

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
So, no Panty & Stocking, or Tiger & Bunny, but we get an eight year old series people forgot about a long time ago. Okay.

Forgot about?

I agree with the comment regarding the age of the series, but considering how much folks liked it (I believe one non-anime publication referred to it as the best animation of it's time), I've got no problem with it being aired.

If it helps to increase the popularity of anime, I'm all for it.

(I also think it's one of Chris Bevins's best works as a director)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10