• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad After Story Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:01 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
a TV show is linear

Not always

Well, yes, as a gigantic fan of quirkily non-linear (or multilinear simultaneously, thank you Baccano!) anime you have me on that one. And that would be one way of getting the "orb" function into the story, to make the story told non-linearly, to adopt the storytelling style of the game. If one didn't do that, if one put the storylines consecutively, yes, it might be harder to get that to work.

That said, I repeat, haven't seen the series, don't know if the reset is a "cop-out" or not. Like I said, "cop-out" is really subjective - it's a personal reaction to how well the story got you spoiler[to agree that the reset button worked]. People will always disagree on that, and there's no way to objectively "prove" one side wrong or not.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Upon further thinking and after reading some posts, I realize that the ending to After Story was perhaps not that stupid. After my first watch, I felt very disappointed about the ending. But after my second watch,spoiler[the orbs]element made the ending more palatable.

That being said, I still think that to a large extent the ending of Clannad: After Story is pointless. Happiness does not need to equate to having everything you desire. Happiness can be about making the best of what you got.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
That doesn't change the fact that the ending is narratively a cop-out. It just feels cheap, and after reading about it, I really don't watch to watch this show, because it'll just feel like all my time watching will have been wasted at the end.

I recommend playing tomoyo after then "the offical spin-off to the series". You will not get a cop-out ending on the true route in the series. For more on the back story go watch tomoyo ova from season one of the show which leads up the spin-off visual novel.

That's All I'm going to say on clannad/tomoyo after or any key works until little busters starts airing.... I hope you all can bear with me >_>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone state whether the Blu-Ray is worth upgrading to from the DVD? I already have the bilingual DVD set - should I upgrade? Is it worth the investment for the HD upgrade?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Those first few episodes are actually important for explaining why the show ended the way it did. spoiler[The magical lights], so they're not really a waste. Plus, they were pretty funny. I felt the dub was actually closer to a C than anything else...I found it pretty lackluster and terrible. I'm still use to higher quality works such as Bebop and GITS...I long for the days of quality dubs like that. Nearly every dub I've heard in the last few years just makes me turn the subtitles and JPN audio on within minutes. Biggest culprit is pronouncing the names wrong.

Honestly, this show would've been far worse with a spoiler[sad] ending. People complain about how it ended but if they did it any differently, honestly It wouldn't work. Same with Madoka. First time I saw Madoka I hated the ending...but when I thought about it for a long time I realized it was the best possible way to end it. I think After Story is perfect the way it is in terms of story.

And to clear up some apparent misunderstandings, spoiler[Ushio is the one that actually saved everyone, and made her father happy. She created the illusionary world where she met with her (robot) father and gave him a chance to fix everything by telling him about the light orbs and such. It wasn't a reward for just being a nice guy...it was Ushio's sadness and love for her family, her want for them to be happy that created the true ending]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
Can anyone state whether the Blu-Ray is worth upgrading to from the DVD? I already have the bilingual DVD set - should I upgrade? Is it worth the investment for the HD upgrade?

I do not know how much this helps. I watched both Clannad series in Netflix originally. I guess they used upscaled DVD quality for Netfix. It looked a bit blurry in Netflix, but when I watched Clannad in BD, I was blown away by the image quality. I imagine that the After Story BD set has the same amazing visuals.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:

KyoAni makes some nice looking shows. Kanon is six years old, and the BD for that series looks better than most anime airing today, which were were made for HD. If that's an upscale, it's a damn impressive one. And don't let Zalis and his flatpanel CRT tell you otherwise, these are all BluRay worth. If you got an HDTV, use it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Those first few episodes are actually important for explaining why the show ended the way it did. spoiler[The magical lights], so they're not really a waste. Plus, they were pretty funny. I felt the dub was actually closer to a C than anything else...I found it pretty lackluster and terrible. I'm still use to higher quality works such as Bebop and GITS...I long for the days of quality dubs like that. Nearly every dub I've heard in the last few years just makes me turn the subtitles and JPN audio on within minutes. Biggest culprit is pronouncing the names wrong.

Haven't seen many dubs in the last few years, have you? And Japanese dubs are just as guilty of consistently mispronouncing foreign names (don't even get me started again on Tears to Tiara!), so that criticism's a wash.

I'm not saying that the dub on this particular one is great beyond the two lead roles, mind you, but "terrible?" Sure, whatever.

Quote:
Honestly, this show would've been far worse with a spoiler[sad] ending. People complain about how it ended but if they did it any differently, honestly It wouldn't work.

Multiple posters in this thread have explained how it could easily work without the gimmick pulled at the end. The movie version even shows it. spoiler[Nagisa coming back is not necessary for a satisfying ending. Ushio dying and then being brought back isn't necessary, either.]

Quote:
Same with Madoka. First time I saw Madoka I hated the ending...but when I thought about it for a long time I realized it was the best possible way to end it. I think After Story is perfect the way it is in terms of story.

I'm still not crazy about PMMM's ending, but it's at least justified much more clearly by the mechanics in its story; the series does, after all, make a big point of stressing that spoiler[Madoka, by becoming a magical girl, could achieve god-like power and make virtually anything happen].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Haven't seen many dubs in the last few years, have you? And Japanese dubs are just as guilty of consistently mispronouncing foreign names (don't even get me started again on Tears to Tiara!), so that criticism's a wash.

Both TtT language tracks are disasters, in their own, unique ways

Quote:
spoiler[Nagisa coming back is not necessary for a satisfying ending. Ushio dying and then being brought back isn't necessary, either.]

The problem is that the movie is basically a slightly less bad bad-end, as far as the game is concerned.

The ending we got is the true ending of the story, and the only one we realistically were going to get.

Quote:

I'm still not crazy about PMMM's ending, but it's at least justified much more clearly by the mechanics in its story; the series does, after all, make a big point of stressing that spoiler[Madoka, by becoming a magical girl, could achieve god-like power and make virtually anything happen].

This is a very fair point.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Honestly, this show would've been far worse with a spoiler[sad] ending. People complain about how it ended but if they did it any differently, honestly It wouldn't work. Same with Madoka. First time I saw Madoka I hated the ending...but when I thought about it for a long time I realized it was the best possible way to end it. I think After Story is perfect the way it is in terms of story.

And to clear up some apparent misunderstandings, spoiler[Ushio is the one that actually saved everyone, and made her father happy. She created the illusionary world where she met with her (robot) father and gave him a chance to fix everything by telling him about the light orbs and such. It wasn't a reward for just being a nice guy...it was Ushio's sadness and love for her family, her want for them to be happy that created the true ending]

Never thought about it from that point of view before... Hmmm Maybe I need to rethink a-bit on the series however I think it was opened interpretation on the ending. This would be like discussing end of eva's meaning all over again...and the different conclusions people drew from it >_>.
Strarum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To be very clear: spoiler[I have absolutely no problem with the light orbs or the magical stuff. My point deals with that the light orbs could have been used to save Ushio's life. Not to take him to an alternate timeline/world/whatever just so he could live life over but now with his wife alive. Hell, when Akio went and begged at that spot for Nagisa's life to be spared I don't think he was somehow able to re-live a portion of his life. His daughter was simply miraculously brought back to life. That's all I wanted. That's all I needed. I don't fathom how that (with an epilogue) could be considered an unhappy ending.

The message should be: 'No matter what the trials in your path, they can be overcome, and you can find joy once again' but instead ended up 'No matter what trials in your path, everything will be sunshine and rainbows because magic will bring back your wife that died 3-4 years ago'. ]

The light orbs represent spoiler[Ushio's wish for her farther's happiness and died as the result. So using them to bring only herself back defeats to point of the wish. The message of the show is that being a family means to find happiness in happiness of others. This was more or less shouted by Akio in the first season in case you missed it(maybe it was too subtle).]

Key wrote:
My reaction to the end of AS was almost precisely the same as Megiddo's, and for pretty much the same reason. While explanations I've seen on it have forced me to concede that it's not a mechanical cop-out, I still consider it to be a narrative one. (And to be clear, my beef starts at the point where the story decides that spoiler[Ushio has to waste away and die, too.]

For that reason I much prefer the ending of the movie version, abrupt as it is.

I believe that Ushio's spoiler[sickness was a consequence of Akio's wish being past down. First we have Akio wishing to save Nagisa's life so it is essentially keeping her alive and connecting her to the town. Then Nagisa wishes for to give birth to a healthy baby so the wish and connection to the town is transferred to Ushio. Then in episode 19 she watches as as Tomoya tries to bring his father happiness and becomes inspired to do the same(probrably why they emphasised that specific light orb). In the following episode she starts visiting the spot where Nagisa was saved and gets sick. Ushio's death was meant to resemble Nagisa's nearly dying next to her farther in the snow and the other world's Ushio in a similar situation. The similar situation work as a reference point for their memories to sync up.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6