• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Time Will Crawl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celiaorirene

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:29 am Reply with quote
Highly expected!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:37 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
I read Amazon JP customer reviews on Macross DYRL Blu Ray hybrid pack. About half of the reviews are not good. Reviews didn't bother with game itself, but all negative reviews pointed toward actual BD remaster of the movie.

According to reviews, Bandai did mediocre job on film clean up and restoration. Also they did unnecessary touch up on some scenes. I have feeling that Bandai blew off their budget on the included PS3 game.

I was thinking of buying the hybrid pack, but now I'm having second thought about it.

There were similar problems on the last DVD release of the Macross Movie.

It was supposedly a from a "cleaned up, high-definition remaster" but the space scenes looked well, a bit spotty. Horrible grain issues. More than a few people actually preferred the original DVD release which WASN'T a remastered edition.

Here's the thing about a bunch of Japanese movies... They're not particularly well taken care of and as we see now some of the better animation has a spotty release record on formats.

Something of the sort happened with the Evangelion TV series home video releases. The first few were marred by bad master tapes and awful mastering, period. Finally, the Renewal/US Platinum Releases got the series out the way it should have been from the start.

It's too bad Bandai screwed up the BD release of DYRL. They have like a 50/50 track record in general. You never know if they're going to handle something right (50% of the time, usually great toy releases), or do it half-assed (most of their videogames).

$200 gives you pause on a buy... I had the set on-order but ended up with a cancellation because I just didn't have the money.
Hearing how the final product turned out has me wondering if I lucked out! On the other hand, I sort of looked forward to a home video release that wasn't going to be locked out from home system because of some stupid region coding nonsense.

The Macross movie is definitely one of the few Japanese releases I'd buy no subtitles/no English dub. There are only about 2-3 films I do that for as well. (Project A-ko comes to mind...)
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
reanimator wrote:
I read Amazon JP customer reviews on Macross DYRL Blu Ray hybrid pack. About half of the reviews are not good. Reviews didn't bother with game itself, but all negative reviews pointed toward actual BD remaster of the movie.

According to reviews, Bandai did mediocre job on film clean up and restoration. Also they did unnecessary touch up on some scenes. I have feeling that Bandai blew off their budget on the included PS3 game.

I was thinking of buying the hybrid pack, but now I'm having second thought about it.

There were similar problems on the last DVD release of the Macross Movie.

It was supposedly a from a "cleaned up, high-definition remaster" but the space scenes looked well, a bit spotty. Horrible grain issues. More than a few people actually preferred the original DVD release which WASN'T a remastered edition.

It's too bad Bandai screwed up the BD release of DYRL. They have like a 50/50 track record in general. You never know if they're going to handle something right (50% of the time, usually great toy releases), or do it half-assed (most of their videogames).

$200 gives you pause on a buy... I had the set on-order but ended up with a cancellation because I just didn't have the money.
Hearing how the final product turned out has me wondering if I lucked out! On the other hand, I sort of looked forward to a home video release that wasn't going to be locked out from home system because of some stupid region coding nonsense.

The Macross movie is definitely one of the few Japanese releases I'd buy no subtitles/no English dub. There are only about 2-3 films I do that for as well. (Project A-ko comes to mind...)

I still have the LD version. I didn't buy the Macross movie on DVD. There is the regular edition BD without physical bonuses for $70.

Anyway, people who gave 5 star ratings are just too happy with bonus materials or sound quality. That's too subjective. I love Japanese collector's edition with bonus materials just like any other Japanese fans, but I think Bandai is taking advantage of their core customer loyalty. They're the ones who have spent $150 on preorder of the limited edition BD. They deserve the highest picture quality for money they spent.

It looks like Bandai is avoiding objective complaints by decorating the movie with bonuses. Japanese fans paid a lot of money for their product. They suck it up and buy the movie unlike whining western fans. Bonus materials are nice to have, but it's no way to cover up the flaws.

Also, according to fans of the original, BD version toned down violent and gruesome scenes by retouching pictures.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
That part about retouching some of the gore in the film was one of the things I HATED hearing about the Macross Movie BD.

What's the point??? It existed for close to 30 years with the gore intact!!!! They don't seem to mind all the sexual innuendo and blatant fan service preteen kids get exposed to in Japan... That can be at least half as bad as the violence.

(Yeah, I just don't get futzing with films after decades in existence... I haven't forgiven Disney for tampering with its classics, either...)

Why oh why did they go the Lucas/Spielberg route and mess with imagery like that INSTEAD of doing a proper remaster and clean the darn film up for a proper hi-def release!

Makes no sense whatsoever with all the previous existing release of the film on VHS, LD, and DVD.

An utterly stupid waste!

P.S. -- Spielberg learned better after the failure of the retouched "E.T." release in theaters some years back. Fans DID NOT appreciate all the guns that turned to walkie-talkies in the movie via CG editing.

The original 1982 version of the film is what's being released on BD later this year...

Likewise, he DID hear about/see the South Park episode that savaged the idea of a "Special Edition Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Too bad Lucas still won't leave the Wars films alone and continues to tinker with them... Could be why I purposely haven't bought the Star Wars saga on BD yet!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I have Persona 4 Arena pre-ordered and can't wait. This will be my fights fighter purchase (usually just borrow from my brother or friends), so it being a Persona game meant I couldn't refuse. I'm really curious about the story mode too because Atlus claims they've recorded more in this fighter than they had for the actual RPG. Just not looking forward to sitting through Teddie's and Chie's dub voices since they apparently got switched out from the original.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
That part about retouching some of the gore in the film was one of the things I HATED hearing about the Macross Movie BD.

What's the point??? It existed for close to 30 years with the gore intact!!!! They don't seem to mind all the sexual innuendo and blatant fan service preteen kids get exposed to in Japan... That can be at least half as bad as the violence.

(Yeah, I just don't get futzing with films after decades in existence... I haven't forgiven Disney for tampering with its classics, either...)

Why oh why did they go the Lucas/Spielberg route and mess with imagery like that INSTEAD of doing a proper remaster and clean the darn film up for a proper hi-def release!

Makes no sense whatsoever with all the previous existing release of the film on VHS, LD, and DVD.

An utterly stupid waste!

Yes, it's wasteful. I don't know what's on their mind when they decided to remaster it. I've read the similar complaint about Ghost in the Shell 2.0 as well. If Shoji Kawamori was involved with the BD remaster, then his New Age mentality definitely clouded his judgment.

It would be nice if Japanese fans organize themselves to send common complaints in all formats. Phone, Mail, and online to Bandai Namco. They're the one who are paying high price for it. At one time, I sent complaint to Bandai Visual Japan through CD Japan retailer and they responded back with correction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2