• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Character falls, inexplicably lands amongst other character's massive breasts. I know American comedy has it's own share of repetitive jokes (Homer does/says something stupid) but at least there is some variation there. There's room for it to happen in a creative or especially funny way. These Japanese slapstick gags are so simplistic and interchangeable though that it's just the exact same thing every time. I agree with you 100% on the Simpsons. It's one of the most consistently funny shows of all times. It's begun to slump in the last little while though. You should try and give Spongebob a chance though. Admittedly it's a bit high energy at times but beneath that it's actually often quite clever.

Wow, see, I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, ever since it started getting "preachy"...

Humor is a very culturally-bound phenomenon. What's funny in one culture won't always be funny in another. I think you're massively overgeneralizing with Japanese comedy, of course, focusing primarily on the humor of heavily shounen shows. (Having watched the pathetic attempts at humor in "Shikabane-hime," I know what you're coming from...) And as for American animated comedy always being superior...for every original show, there's a ton of crap too, much like anime. And I gave up on the Simpsons when it started being preachy several seasons back.

Anime comedies (as in, ones with no real drama) I've liked?
1) Hare+Guu and Hare+Guu Deluxe (not Final... wow that was unfunny)
2) Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
3) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
I prefer my shows to actually have a mix of comedy and drama. And in America the best examples of that are generally live action.

It's funny you should mention Shikabane-hime. I was just watching that the other day and that was driving me crazy. It especially annoys me because it seems like if they just dropped the crappy attempts at humor it would be a decently solid action series.

Fumoffu is also an interesting point of discussion. I personally didn't like it. With it's unique premise, it at least started off with some sort of new material. (I say sort of because I'd seen it to some extent in the original series already.) It really didn't retain it's humor for the full series though. Unique premise or not, so many jokes are just slight variations based on the same premise and it gets old. By disk 2 I was finding myself bored. It still had it's moments. It was definitely funny initially and the hot springs episode was particularilly funny. Anything involving Bonta-kun was really just annoying though and the last episode was awful as well. I knew they were obviously building to something which meant it couldn't really be appreciated genuinely. However, it was gloomy enough that it really nullified the jokes and makes it hard to really enjoy them. For that matter there weren't even that many. It was a massive amount of set up for just one not especially funny jokes. It was this series actually that was sort of the final straw for me with anime comedies. I figured that if I didn't enjoy it even though it received very favorable reviews and was based on a series I did like then anime comedies just weren't going to do it for me. Funnily enough, I absolutely loved the Full Metal Panic OVA which was actually quite clever.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Hehe .... Answer-Man got owned by C.H. Greenblatt

fawhoooosh!
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Brian, pleeease don't become nasty and antagonistic! You're funny and your column is really enjoyable like this ^^
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I don't know about that. In my experience there just doesn't seem to be much to get. That's the problem. There are a handful of very simple running jokes and they are repeated over and over with next to no variation. Character says something stupid, other character hits him with something. Character says something strange, other characters fall over with their legs in the air. Character falls, inexplicably lands amongst other character's massive breasts.

Hare+Guu
Papuwa
Excel Saga
Martian Successor Nadesico
Bobobo
DaiGuard
Shinesmen
Abenoboshi has the boobs, but there is so much more to the humor
Same for Maze
Gravitation doesn't have the boobs jokes.
Cromartie barely has chicks
Nanako has boobs, but the humor is more the torture
Project Ako
Dr Slump
Sgt Frog
Adventures of Mini Goddesses
Blue Seed Omake theater
Chronicles of Lodoss Omake theater
Delinquent in Drag
FMP:FFumoffu had it in larger doses, but I loved the fish-out-of-water aspect of the first SMP series few & far between that they are.
Giant Robot Wars Ginrei Special (Do booby missiles fall under your "falling into massive breasts" bit?)
KKM
One Piece
Dragonball
Princess Princess
Ping Pong Club
Slayers Next
Twin Signal
Ushio & Tora
Wedding Peach
Not to mention all the humor included in other titles like GetBackers

In particular, I am fond of the really absurd stuff like Bobobo & Papuwa we really don't have here.

ikillchicken wrote:

I know American comedy has it's own share of repetitive jokes (Homer does/says something stupid) but at least there is some variation there.

Because Simpsons doesn't open with the same theme with the slight variation in what Bart's writing on the board, etc. We don't see the same jokes played in endless cycles.
Don't you believe you're being too generous to American stuff & too hard on the Japanese?

ikillchicken wrote:

There's room for it to happen in a creative or especially funny way. These Japanese slapstick gags are so simplistic and interchangeable though that it's just the exact same thing every time.

Komoro tries to get eaten in exactly the same way every week?
Souji tries to kill/abuse Kondo the same way in all 26 episodes?
Harem abuses Liquid in the same manner in every ep? (Papuwa)
Like most situation comedies, the characters have to react in their specified actions, but the jokes vary from ep to ep, dude.

Dude, when Goku plants Nyobo in the dirt & that purple ninja is falling, you know damned well what's coming, but I laughed my head off. (Dragonball)

You know Across will never win, but each ep is so much fun spoofing this or that genre, who cares? (Excel Saga)

It is soooooooooo utterly ridiculous no one can tell mecha-Deborah from the real Deborah, it's funny (Trouble Chocolate)

ikillchicken wrote:

I agree with you 100% on the Simpsons. It's one of the most consistently funny shows of all times. It's begun to slump in the last little while though.

I had far more fun watching The Flintstones as a child. And of course Looney Tunes.
But I also am familiar with The Marx Brothers. Screwball Comedies. Arsenic & Old Lace.
Come on.
There's a cartoon that's as much fun as Duck Soup?

ikillchicken wrote:

You should try and give Spongebob a chance though. Admittedly it's a bit high energy at times but beneath that it's actually often quite clever.

1). Find a chalkboard
2). Place nails against surface
3). Press, dragging nails down the board

This is what Sponge Bob's voice sounds like to me. It is so ungodly annoying.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
...and the last episode was awful as well. I knew they were obviously building to something which meant it couldn't really be appreciated genuinely. However, it was gloomy enough that it really nullified the jokes and makes it hard to really enjoy them. For that matter there weren't even that many. It was a massive amount of set up for just one not especially funny jokes. It was this series actually that was sort of the final straw for me with anime comedies. I figured that if I didn't enjoy it even though it received very favorable reviews and was based on a series I did like then anime comedies just weren't going to do it for me.

two things...

First, I loved the final episode. It was the gloomy over-dramatic build up that made the payoff so funny.

Second...Seriously? One anime comedy you didn't like made you decide all anime comedies aren't funny?? It just means you have a different taste in humor than the reviewers of "Fumoffu." There's a lot of creative, funny humor out there in anime (along crappy stuff too, of course), don't give up on it yet!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Reading is underrated. You should try it.

Quote:
It was this series actually that was sort of the final straw for me with anime comedies.

Final Straw. As in the last one, not the first.

Also, I can certainly see that being the case if you didn't see it coming. In fact, that's the key. A joke like that works on the basis of a false expectation. It's just so obvious that they're going there though.

CCSYueh wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

I know American comedy has it's own share of repetitive jokes (Homer does/says something stupid) but at least there is some variation there.

Because Simpsons doesn't open with the same theme with the slight variation in what Bart's writing on the board, etc. We don't see the same jokes played in endless cycles.
Don't you believe you're being too generous to American stuff & too hard on the Japanese?

You're implying that they're repetitive on the basis that they repeat the opening theme? FYI anime does that too. I'll concede that generally almost everything is repetitive and cliched to some extent and I'm sure there are some anime comedies out there that are funny. My beef with anime comedies though is that it is often just so much of it is just the epitome of repetitive and cliche. There are so many times that they literally reuse the exact same joke over and over.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I think one of the things I like about Japanese comedy is that I don't get lots of jokes about drug abuse, crime and mental illness. Somehow I don't find those particularly amusing.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
d'oh!

one of the things that got lost amidst the rigorous editing done to answerman every week is that there WON'T be a column next week. due to issues.

sorry, everybody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
raidou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
with shows like gurren lagaan in the mecha world i think there is a decent amount of variety out there IMO.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
um... two things:

1. I have new respect for Chowder now.

2. The bunny is cute... Really cute... Also, the little sniff at the end of the comic was cute...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6