• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Is #2 in July Graphic Novel Sales in U.S. Bookstores

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
UK tele is quite acceptable of homosexuality these days. There are a few characters in the soaps, and even one or two sit-coms about couples on the Beeb now as well. I mean even Elton John got a gonk from the Queen not so long ago.

Well in the USA, unless the Gay dude is playing upon established stereotypes, it'll be considered to be bashing Christian Family Values.
Now you know why we packed the puritains up and shipped them over to you guy's Laughing

Sod off. Razz
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Now you know why we packed the puritains up and shipped them over to you guy's Laughing

Please take them back! Or pay damages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I'm also curious how a TV Broadcast would go today, would they go about censoring it as much, and change character's genders or whatever, will Haruka and Michiru (Amara and Michelle?) still be strangely close cousins, will they license the DIC Sailor Moon theme?

Lesbianism would be mildly tolerated nowadays. Gays? Not so much.

Maybe on adult sitcoms relying on stereotypes and trying to be edgy/progressive.

But in a kids show? No way.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Please take them back! Or pay damages.
Sorry, no deposits, no returns. Laughing
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The DIC series should be burned and its ashes poured into the salty sea. not because it was that bad, (it was barely tolerable,) but because it was so butchered lame it needs to be put out of its misery.

They worked with what they had to deal with (standards and practices and all that), the Cloverway script however (Sailor Moon S and on) as I'm rewatching is actually doing with quite a few glaring plotholes.

I get their hands were tied as far as Amara and Michelle's relationship - once again, Standards - which is why they entered the "True Lovers" contest as a "practical joke", but there's no reason Lita as Sailor Jupiter would tell Uranus and Neptune that they almost killed her, when she wasn't transformed and such.

That said the DIC Sailor Moon theme was awesome.

TitanXL wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
I'm also curious how a TV Broadcast would go today, would they go about censoring it as much, and change character's genders or whatever, will Haruka and Michiru (Amara and Michelle?) still be strangely close cousins, will they license the DIC Sailor Moon theme?

Lesbianism would be mildly tolerated nowadays. Gays? Not so much.

Maybe on adult sitcoms relying on stereotypes and trying to be edgy/progressive.

But in a kids show? No way.

I hate to agree with Red Box here, but I don't see any kind of serious homosexual relationship of any type would be played straight on any kid's network without being in some way's altered.
terminus24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd wonder how we could get a good dub to air on TV without either slicing up the script or giving it a higher rating, possibly TV-14 instead of PG or something like that. The only place I could see this done well might be Adult Swim/Toonami, and I think that's the absolute biggest it could go and be good, if Nick, Disney, or Fox or someone else got it, it'd be cut and censored to the point of being awful, like 4Kids' One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh!, Disney's Naruto Shippuden, etc.

Wait, lesbianism is tolerated in children's shows. I remember an episode of Arthur that was all about two lesbians. So we know at least that part wouldnt change.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
You mean that Postcards From Buster controversy which resulted in the episode being banned and CEO of PBS being forced to step-down because they approved in making it?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:

Wait, lesbianism is tolerated in children's shows. I remember an episode of Arthur that was all about two lesbians. So we know at least that part wouldnt change.

Well, people still got upset, but yup, it existed. Not as part of the main Arthur show, but some Buster thing which focused on a girl who had lesbian parents for an episode. It's still risky.

The US has some adult-oriented series focusing on gay relationships, like Queer as Folk (based on the British series), The L Word, Pretty Hurts...All are on Logo, which is geared toward the LGBT community and allies, but the channel seems to be thriving. Otherwise they are more token characters which abide by stereotypes. Better than nothing, I guess. Especially better than the House treatment us aces got.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:

The only homosexual characters you will likely see in children's cartoons in America save for that episode that is now banned, are ridiculously over the top stereotypes of overly-flamboyant men.

Though they'd never actually be referred to as homosexual wouldn't be in serious relationships, and won't have partners of any kind anyway.

The same with crossdressing characters, which actually confused me when I rewatched the Sailor Moon S episode with Tamasaburo, who crossdressed in a bit-joke joke at the end of the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2