• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Streaming anime recommendations.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rockleelives!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
As i'm sure some of you know, crunchyroll has just recently made its way to PS3. I'm trying it out so I thought I'd ask if anybody knew some good stuff on crunchyroll to watch. I would like at least one good comedy and one good action series if you plan to respond. Thanks!

[Mod Edit: I'm going to allow this as it, as mentioned below, it may be useful to have a recommendation thread regarding shows available legally for streaming. - Keonyn]
magmalord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Polar Bear Cafe, it's a great comedy show from last season. Also this thread will be locked in a few minutes, due to it being a recomendation thread.
Rockleelives!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
oh are you not supposed to make those? or am I in the wrong category?
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
There's a sticky thread for these kinds of discussions. Otherwise the forum would quickly clutter.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I think it's called Abunai Sisters.

Really good anime. My little sister loves it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
We'll see what happens to this thread. It might be helpful to have a recommendation thread on shows available via streaming, enlarged to include Funi, TAN, Hulu, etc. Key will be along soon enough to let us know.

In the meantime, here are my top picks at Crunchyroll:

Moribito - A beautiful, deep story about imperial politics with a supernatural setting and occasional, spectacularly-animated fighting sequences. The main character is a 30-year-old female bodyguard who becomes the protector of a young prince.

Erin - By the same author as Moribito, the anthropologist Uehatsu Nahoko. Both shows reflect on the relationships between ancient founding myths and later political developments. Erin has the ability to communicate with mystical beasts and becomes involved in political intrigues as a result.

Tsuritama - Aliens, fishing, love, and friendship in a colorful and well-animated package from director Nakamura Kenji of Mononoke fame.

KIds on the Slope - Teenagers learn about life, love, and jazz in 1966 Japan.

Space Brothers - 30-ish guy competes to follow in his younger brother's footsteps and become an astronaut (ongoing).

Level E - A comedy about aliens living on the earth. It has its own "men in black" and an hilarious protagonist.

Natsume Yuujinchou - A lovely little series about a boy who inherits his grandmother's book with the names of demons inscribed inside. The demons want their names back and harass Natsume as a result. He has a terrific familar, a giant wolf god that usually travels around in the guise of a "lucky cat."

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Just about the biggest thing to hit anime in years. A revisioning of the magical-girl genre with production from SHAFT.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi - Before there was Madoka, there was Haruhi. One of the most famous school-life shows ever with production by Kyoto Animation.

Usagi Drop - A sweet, funny, and touching show about a single 30-yo man who becomes the caretaker for his grandfather's illegitimate daughter after the old man dies.

Hanamaru Kindergarten - A cute story about a young man who becomes a kindergarten teacher. The EDs for this show are worth the price of admission. My favorite is the tribute to Godard's film À bout de souffle ("Breathless") which concludes episode seven.
thepsychogamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
First I recommend that you just use the browser for crunchyroll, currently the app is a lot worse then the streaming experience you with the browser. any ways here are some suggestions

Working!
Another
Humanity has Declined
Poyopoyo
My Ordinary Life
Mitsudomoe
The World God Only knows

I could go on, but that's more then enough for now.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn decided to allow this thread - hence I've withdrawn my thread-closing post - but pure listing still will not be tolerated. Any further posts like the immediately previous one may result in the thread being locked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Why not just remove the offending post rather than lock an entire thread? You deal with tumours by excising them from the body, not by slitting the patient's throat.
thesmf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:51 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Why not just remove the offending post rather than lock an entire thread? You deal with tumours by excising them from the body, not by slitting the patient's throat.

lol

yeah I sometimes think that way also, but I feel it's better to just ignore it.
EricJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
Rockleelives! wrote:
As i'm sure some of you know, crunchyroll has just recently made its way to PS3.

I must not be one of them...Where??

(The way the question was worded, thought PSN has gotten a new app for PS3, as for Hulu Plus and Vudu. If it's just on the browser, um...is that news? Confused )
GDFan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
It is a new app, exactly like Hulu or Vudu. It can be downloaded for free via the Playstation store. Check under New Releases in the game store.
Tris8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
From Crunchroll.com:

Toradora- a great romantic comedy. It starts off with pretty typical character archetypes, but because it is so funny and earnest (and they actually have good reasons for being the way they are) it is much better than most school romance comedies.

Ef- A Tale of Memories- a psychological romance. The unusual way it is presented makes it well worth watching for anyone who is a fan of unique visual styles. It uses unconventional 'camera angles' and writing on the screen to turn what would have been a slightly better than average story into something remarkable.

My Ordinary Life (Nichijou)- really random comedy slice-of-life. If you like Azumanga Daioh or Lucky Star, you'll probably like this. It is completely slice of life, but a little crazier than the previous two, as although it is also set in high school it doesn't stick to what is realistic. There's a girl running around with a canon, a 7(?) year old who has built a robot, a guy who rides a goat to school and a teacher secretly out to capture said robot. Weird, but plenty of fun.

Skip Beat!- hilarious and engaging series about a girl's (Kyoko) rise in show business, originally to get revenge on her childhood friend Sho who lead her on and treated her like a servant. Her transformation from submissive doormat to talented acting powerhouse is extremely satisfying to see.

Seconding:

Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit- One of the best adventure fantasy series out there. The lead, Balsa, is extremely intelligent and skilled at being a bodyguard. The world-building is amazing and detailed.

Natsume's Book of Friends- This is a great series supernatural slice-of-life about a boy, Natsume, who can see spirits. From his grandmother he inherits the Book of Friends, a book with names of spirits written in it who have to obey the owner of the book. Because of this, spirits often come to Natsume to beg for the return of their name, or to try to kill him for the book.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
is hamatora on crunchyroll?
i think it is. i really liked it. it was a nice show Wink
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
It is streaming!
Try something and if do not like it try something else.
It really is not that hard.
There should be enough series threads to make an informed decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2