• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Flower of Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I'm also one of those unfortunate souls who hesitated too long to buy this series...and i actually prefer her non-BL works. Oh well...

On a slightly (un)related note: i hope someone's gonna license What did you eat yesterday? soon!

I don't know if that will be picked up, while all the critics adore Yoshinaga, apparently she is not a top seller by any means.
sepherest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
I'm another one on the list of people who own the first three volumes but not the fourth. As much as DMP seems to like using Kickstarter to get other series published here, they should think about using it sometime to republish out of print volumes that are in demand, too.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
Merida wrote:
I'm also one of those unfortunate souls who hesitated too long to buy this series...and i actually prefer her non-BL works. Oh well...

On a slightly (un)related note: i hope someone's gonna license What did you eat yesterday? soon!

I don't know if that will be picked up, while all the critics adore Yoshinaga, apparently she is not a top seller by any means.

Which is really too bad. I know of the manga bloggers/reviewers I follow, What Did You Eat Yesterday? keeps popping up as a most wanted license. I would be ecstatic if this got licensed. I have every English Yoshinaga manga release, even the coveted vol. 4 of Flower of Life! (Somehow I got really lucky and found one for regular price even after it went OOP)
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Flower of life is title I want but unfortunately like many others... I have bad timing D:
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
This is a really excellent series! One of my favorites.

As a relative latecomer to the manga scene, I also missed out on getting volume 4. I'm still holding out hope I can get it for a decent price at a used bookstore somewhere.

But if you haven't read it yet: Even just the first 3 volumes are good, and you can get them at a reasonable price! It's not like vol. 3 ends in a cliffhanger. If 3 were the end, I would be perfectly fine. But since the first 3 are yummy, I'm drooling for a little more.

Sepherest wrote:
I'm another one on the list of people who own the first three volumes but not the fourth. As much as DMP seems to like using Kickstarter to get other series published here, they should think about using it sometime to republish out of print volumes that are in demand, too.

Actually, their first Kickstarter for Swallowing the Earth was to do just that.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'm one of the people who hasn't bought this manga because of how expensive Vol. 4 is, I would love to read it.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:06 am Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Even though this might not have been Yoshinaga complete intent, Flower of Life seems to have great potential at being a BL manga parody while still having enjoyable characters and an simple yet well-written plot.

It's TOTALLY dojinshi-able!

From this day forward, I'm using that word in my everyday vocabulary. ^__^
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! I love Flower of Life. I had no idea volume 4 went out of print. Good thing I own it...

Back in the day, I reviewed Flower of Life for another site, and I drew this comic about trying to get other people to read it.

The fine print in the footnote is hard to read, but it says "Ed Chavez and Jason Thompson don't count. They read everything."
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy to see a column on this fantastic series! When I worked conventions for DMP I recommended this book to pretty much everyone who came to the booth. I've also given copies to my entire family, though I've had just as much trouble getting them to read them as erinfinnegan...

(I am a guy, by the way -- we male Yoshinaga readers do exist!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2