• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quote:
They inserted comedic sound effects and music when Wizarmon died.

No they didn't. Does it sound different? Yes, but it's definitely not "comedic sound effects and music".

Weeaboo-tinted glasses can be as bad as nostalgia - blinds ya of what's there.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:

I just think that the Digimon dub is a product of it's time.

Its cross-marketing was also quite effective, particularly the promos for the last unknown "digi-destined" child even getting airtime and mentions in decidedly non-children's animation places like sports. That's a first for anime in America; even Pokemon didn't do that.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

For me, I'm a Digimon fan, of either version. So I'm gonna pick up the dub set, and I'm gonna LOVE it. But if I can find a way to contact New Video after purchase, I'll definitely be informing them of my likes, dislikes, and my desire to eventually have a subtitled release as well. There's nothing wrong with reaching for more - just go in understanding how unlikely it is at this point.

Maybe if there's enough interest, there could be the possibility for them to look into it. Originally when I emailed them and asked what language it would be in (before it got announced) they gave the usual "no plans for sub", but who knows? Won't hurt to email them and show your interest in it.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
I've decided I will get this. I enjoyed the dub when i was younger and the set is pretty cheap. Of course I would watch the original Japanese version if I could(legally), but I like the American one well enough to spend $59.99.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
And in all honesty, bad guys deaths were overly gruesome anyway and no one really cared about them anyway... you're actually not supposed to care for them, so I don't get why editing their deaths is so "important."

It truly is amazing the length people go to to defend censorship.

oblivious247 wrote:
That someone is complaining about a series for like 7 year olds being made less mature, I think is rather hilarious.

Translated: "It's for kids, who cares".

Just be happy Funimation didn't think that way when it came to One Piece like 4Kids did.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
And in all honesty, bad guys deaths were overly gruesome anyway and no one really cared about them anyway... you're actually not supposed to care for them, so I don't get why editing their deaths is so "important."

It truly is amazing the length people go to to defend censorship.

oblivious247 wrote:
That someone is complaining about a series for like 7 year olds being made less mature, I think is rather hilarious.

Translated: "It's for kids, who cares".

Just be happy Funimation didn't think that way when it came to One Piece like 4Kids did.

You say that like One Piece and Digimon are for the same audience. While both are for children, OP is aimed at a higher age bracket. Toning down some things here and there in Digimon does not make it any less mature, because it wasn't to begin with. The fact that you're so up in arms about it (to the point of straight up lying) just makes you look like someone who desperately wants to justify his watching of childrens' cartoons. If the dub had hurt the series in any significant way, I would care, age group regardless. But it doesn't. It is a totally adequate dub. Enurtsol put it best up there, weaboo tinted glasses are just as bad as nostalgia.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:56 am Reply with quote
No matter what you think of what 4Kids set out to accomplish, there's no denying they did a bad job with One Piece. Since Saban didn't hack up Digimon to an incomprehensible mess, your comparison's a complete non sequitur.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:46 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
You say that like One Piece and Digimon are for the same audience.

They are. In fact, they were both produced by Toei, aired on Fuji TV, and aired on the same Sunday morning cartoon block. But I'm sure you'll tell me how that means nothing.

Quote:
Toning down some things here and there in Digimon does not make it any less mature, because it wasn't to begin with.

By definition, if you remove or tone down the mature themes, it has to be less mature. You just refuted your own point with that statement.

If you don't find it mature that's your own issue I suppose, but to me, dealing with issues like suicide, accepting death, realistic family themes, the ethics of killing people, being rejected/disowned by your family, accepting a step-parent replacing your real parent, and other themes was enough to make it mature in my eyes, and it was a shame they got severely dumbed down or flat out removed in the dub.

Quote:
The fact that you're so up in arms about it (to the point of straight up lying) just makes you look like someone who desperately wants to justify his watching of childrens' cartoons. If the dub had hurt the series in any significant way, I would care, age group regardless. But it doesn't. It is a totally adequate dub. Enurtsol put it best up there, weaboo tinted glasses are just as bad as nostalgia.

I don't have to justify anything, especially not to someone who actively advocates the practice of censorship, and especially not to someone who uses the word 'child' as some kind of term of disapproval. But, given how people magically 'forgot' things that got censored out of the show, I have to question just how knowledgeable they are of the original version (for the record, you not remembering a censored part doesn't mean I lied about it) So their judgement is suspect.

Then again you resorted to using the 'weeaboo' word so I suppose Japanese Godwin's Law is in full effect now, meaning you have no actual points to make anymore since you resorted to that.

Polycell wrote:
Since Saban didn't hack up Digimon to an incomprehensible mess, your comparison's a complete non sequitur.

So you've never seen it, got it. Not even 4Kids mashed 3 unrelated movies together to form 1 movie then changed the entire plot of it to something else. That's got to be a record.
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

They are. In fact, they were both produced by Toei, aired on Fuji TV, and aired on the same Sunday morning cartoon block. But I'm sure you'll tell me how that means nothing.

Quote:
Toning down some things here and there in Digimon does not make it any less mature, because it wasn't to begin with.

By definition, if you remove or tone down the mature themes, it has to be less mature. You just refuted your own point with that statement.

If you don't find it mature that's your own issue I suppose, but to me, dealing with issues like suicide, accepting death, realistic family themes, the ethics of killing people, being rejected/disowned by your family, accepting a step-parent replacing your real parent, and other themes was enough to make it mature in my eyes, and it was a shame they got severely dumbed down or flat out removed in the dub.

Quote:
The fact that you're so up in arms about it (to the point of straight up lying) just makes you look like someone who desperately wants to justify his watching of childrens' cartoons. If the dub had hurt the series in any significant way, I would care, age group regardless. But it doesn't. It is a totally adequate dub. Enurtsol put it best up there, weaboo tinted glasses are just as bad as nostalgia.

I don't have to justify anything, especially not to someone who actively advocates the practice of censorship, and especially not to someone who uses the word 'child' as some kind of term of disapproval. But, given how people magically 'forgot' things that got censored out of the show, I have to question just how knowledgeable they are of the original version (for the record, you not remembering a censored part doesn't mean I lied about it) So their judgement is suspect.

Then again you resorted to using the 'weeaboo' word so I suppose Japanese Godwin's Law is in full effect now, meaning you have no actual points to make anymore since you resorted to that.

Polycell wrote:
Since Saban didn't hack up Digimon to an incomprehensible mess, your comparison's a complete non sequitur.

So you've never seen it, got it. Not even 4Kids mashed 3 unrelated movies together to form 1 movie then changed the entire plot of it to something else. That's got to be a record.

I think we can agree the first English Dub movie was bad, even without comparing it to the Japanese movies.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Polycell wrote:

1. Ya you're right, I would say it means nothing. OP is a good bit more mature than Digimon (which isn't saying much).

2. I didn't refute anything. I don't think Digimon is mature to begin with.

3. When did I ever say anything about advocating censorship? Now you're assuming things. I merely believe whatever censorship happened with Digimon is negligible and does not hurt the series. I'm not using child in a disapproving manner. I just think you're making Digimon out to be more than it is. If I really hated Digimon because it was for kids, I wouldn't be picking this up. Finally people have pointed out in this thread (in one case with video evidence) your blatant exaggeration of the changes. Exaggeration that I would say borders on lying.

4. Again assuming things. Who says he hasn't seen it? I've seen it and I agree with him. What 4Kids did to OP is not at all comparable to what Saban did with Digimon. And what's the movie got to do with anything? Is New Video releasing the movie and no one bothered to tell me?
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
It could turn out to be fake, but a friend over on the FUNi Forums found this via a post on Toonzone.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Digimon-Adventure-Set-Vol/dp/B008V8NQU4/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1344613580&sr=1-7&keywords=Digimon+Adventure

If it's not a mislead, it looks like the Japanese version might get a release after all, just on smaller sets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TaiChiChasers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Now officially confirmed by New Video Group themselves:
http://www.newvideo.com/flatiron-film-company/the-official-digimon-adventure-set-the-complete-first-season/
And the DVD artwork has been updated. HUGE improvement:
NEW:
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
It could turn out to be fake, but a friend over on the FUNi Forums found this via a post on Toonzone.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Digimon-Adventure-Set-Vol/dp/B008V8NQU4/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1344613580&sr=1-7&keywords=Digimon+Adventure

If it's not a mislead, it looks like the Japanese version might get a release after all, just on smaller sets.

....*eyes page and description* 0_0!!!! Looking at the price, I hope (if real) it doesn't turn out to be singles! Maybe just arcs, but either way, I'll take what I can get!! Just hopefully not dubtitles... I heard Hulu does that, using dub terms, even though it's obviously not what they're saying in Japanese.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:

....*eyes page and description* 0_0!!!! Looking at the price, I hope (if real) it doesn't turn out to be singles! Maybe just arcs, but either way, I'll take what I can get!! Just hopefully not dubtitles... I heard Hulu does that, using dub terms, even though it's obviously not what they're saying in Japanese.

Well look at the running time. It's 420 minutes. That's like what 19 episodes? So they could do Adventure in 3 volumes.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Huh... So the sub ends up being CHEAPER than the dub... Interesting... I didn't see the details until a second look, but I'm just surprised at the price difference.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I heard Hulu does that, using dub terms, even though it's obviously not what they're saying in Japanese.

They do. Even if it's in English already like Holsmon's attack being 'Red Sun' but the subs say 'Eagle Eye' to match the dub change.

Though I think the biggest problem is whoever did them can't speak English. It's really bad when every other line is some broken English fragmentation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10