• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Almost had a definite purchase...until I read it was English track only. Don't get me wrong, I grew up with the English dub version...but after I found a subtitled version of it, I fell in love with that even more. Going to have to think on this one...

Perfect world would have been both versions. We can't all have nice things.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Man, hope this sells well enough for more seasons to come over! But yeah, ANN confirming it, and TRSI listing it rather gives me and other people more confidence in pre-ordering/purchasing it, no?

And that kinda takes care of the entire anime list for xmas/birthday
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This was a big part of my kid's youth, so yes we will be getting it.

Waiter! A round of Liver Shakes for me and my friends please.

Mark Gosdin
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I've known about this for a little while now (at least the rumors of it), and then it got pretty much confirmed with a RightStuf link a while back too. But this is the first time I've heard for sure that it was NVG licensed and not just distributed. I'd been wondering about that.

It has taken far too long for this show to come out on DVD, and I'm DEFINITELY nabbing it as soon as I can. I hope this sells well enough for them to put out the rest of the shows, as well as to put out the other movies that never got a DVD here (they did air on TV though).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Will it be like the Madman version and still have those TV logos on the video? We need more info then just a simple release date.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
There could be a number of factors as to why New Video Group can't release a sub version of the show on DVD. But I think the biggest factor is that the sub version of the show will only cater to a niche audience while the dub version is more mainstream to the crowd who were watching FOX Kids back in '99. Besides, the dub is edited. The dub track would never sync up to the uncut Japanese track.
TitanXL wrote:
Don't forget all the terrible forced Taichi/Sora hints. Always annoying when you get a shipper in charge of writing the dub. Trying to make this whole Taichi/Sora/Yamato triangle that didn't exist in the original version. Did it to Pocket Monsters as well with Satoshi/Kasumi. Leave the shipping at home, guys, seriously.

Okay, why is this called "shipping"?
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Maybe. But a lot of those people then turned to enjoy Japanese dubs years later (with English subs or without). If anything, I'd like both... but hey. License/distribution is not always as simple as "We want, we get."

Don't forget all the terrible forced Taichi/Sora hints. Always annoying when you get a shipper in charge of writing the dub. Trying to make this whole Taichi/Sora/Yamato triangle that didn't exist in the original version. Did it to Pocket Monsters as well with Satoshi/Kasumi. Leave the shipping at home, guys, seriously.

But yeah, the dub isn't the same show as the original anymore with all they changed. Can't support companies who think this is acceptable behavior for a show. The main reason I'm glad Xros Wars never made it to America to be hacked up. Shame it happened to Savers, though.

The second movie (the second part of the three-part English movie in the English dub) hinted at a possible relationship in both the Japanese and the English. The English was surely more obvious because of the whole "love" and "like" thing... but the Japanese had some equal connotations. That said, the series itself did not--in fact, Sora spoiler[gets married to Yamato/Matt] at the end of 02.

But yeah. I agree in that they pretty much have the same plot, but they are experienced in completely different ways, including their character development and some of both the minor and major themes, as well as how they are managed and focused. But hey. That's how it is. I don't see the serious Japanese version appealing to a lot of kids in America like the English version does, and if it weren't for the English version's existence... well... many of us wouldn't be checking out the Japanese version in the first place.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote
English-Only Audio...No subtitles?

Dammit! I will not buy it considering that I'm deaf.

New Video Group...You are now on my list of Not Buy Things From List, including Shout! Factory and EchoBridge. >Sad

Echo Bridge already ruined Pokemon Movies by not including subtitles, and Shout! Factory turn turned deaf ear (ironically) on deaf people.
Takuku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Will be considering importing this at some point, unless someone in the UK decides to give it a chance at being released.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
@ TitanXL - I could be forgetting a lot of them, but I honestly only remember the movie dub really being that 'aggressive' about hinting Tai/Sora (and also a small hint of Joe/Mimi), and even then it's kind of flirted with near the end of 02 in Japanese, so it's not like it comes completely out of nowhere. It's not a 'crack' pairing or anything. It was a perfectly legitimate pairing that, dub creating some of it or not, a lot of people were very disappointed to not see work out.

That and, for every bad joke, you'd be amazed how accurate the dubs are to the original version in the long run.

I do wish someone like Discotek or someone had picked this up and done dub sets as well as sub sets, but that's wishful thinking. I'll gladly take this set if that's what I'm given.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
YES FINALLY!

Now as long as they also release Adventure 2 and Tamers, all will be right with the world.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I could be forgetting a lot of them, but I honestly only remember the movie dub really being that 'aggressive' about hinting Tai/Sora (and also a small hint of Joe/Mimi), and even then it's kind of flirted with near the end of 02 in Japanese, so it's not like it comes completely out of nowhere. It's not a 'crack' pairing or anything. It was a perfectly legitimate pairing that, dub creating some of it or not, a lot of people were very disappointed to not see work out.

Go watch the dub for when Taichi helps Sora give Yamato her homemade cooking in 02. They took a scene of him helping her get the courage to give it to him to him trying to ask her out but getting rejected. They completely rewrote it to satisfy their own wish fulfillment. And yeah, the whole "Love" thing in the movie which wasn't there at all in the original version.

Quote:
That and, for every bad joke, you'd be amazed how accurate the dubs are to the original version in the long run.

They reduced Apocalymon from a sadistic and nihilist being who self-mutilates his own body into suicidal depression into a wisecracking, pun spewing guy who wanted extra pepperoni on his pizza and the delivery man short changed him. That's all you really need to know about how accurate the dub is.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
54 episodes? 78 bucks? God, that's a great price. Seeing 13 episode series usually cost around $50-60.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I've known about this for a while, but this looks to be a decent release, as long as it's not as screwed up as Madman's. I may pick it up if I get the chance, and it's great to see that this show is FINALLY making it to DVD.

Dark Absol wrote:
New Video Group...You are now on my list of Not Buy Things From List, including Shout! Factory and EchoBridge. >Sad

Echo Bridge already ruined Pokemon Movies by not including subtitles, and Shout! Factory turn turned deaf ear (ironically) on deaf people.

Many of Shout! Factory's releases do contain closed captions, including their Power Rangers DVDs.

Echo Bridge's horrible Pokemon DVDs had other issues too, but if you want English subtitles on those 4 Pokemon movies, buy the old Buena Vista DVDs (their releases were miles better than Echo Bridge's anyway...).
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
They reduced Apocalymon from a sadistic and nihilist being who self-mutilates his own body into suicidal depression into a wisecracking, pun spewing guy who wanted extra pepperoni on his pizza and the delivery man short changed him. That's all you really need to know about how accurate the dub is.

True entertainment for Saturday Morning shows aimed at 8 year olds everybody!

Look, normally I'm on the traditionalist side when it comes to changing dubs and such, but when it comes to the stuff like Digimon/Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade, Metabots, and the like, I can't help but feel ya gotta give the dubs a little slack. Especially considering most of these are early 00 works for the Saturday morning kids. These are VHS shows.

If they did a Sub with the Dub, the dialogue wouldn't sync. They'd have to make whole separate videos for some episodes, which means they'd probably have to do it for all the episodes, so more disks, and you wouldn't be able to switch back and forth on the audio as a result. It'd probably be a bit of a train wreck.

Idk from what I know of the show and writers, a lot of love really did go into this script, especially for a script for a show that had backers wanting to "Americanize" it. Names were either similar or stayed the same, and a fair amount of the meanings were kept in tact. Unfortunately, some of the better script writers also liked puns. I will give you that.

If you're not a fan, then you're not a fan. The dub IS different than the sub so it's understandable, but ya gotta realize that this is also partially a nostalgia show. If they did a sub-only release, then not nearly as many people would be buying it, and a sub-dub release is probably extremely hard. Maybe in the future we'll get a dual-language release, but I gotta admit I'm completely stoked over getting the show in general!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10