• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Shame it happened to Savers, though.

Savers had edits? I mean, aside from a few name changes and the infamous BomberNanimon case and editing out of the occasional blood?

I recently got off watching my taped copies of DS and didn't find that many edits at all. The tone for the most part is kept the same, aside from the occasional scene with music and dialogue that weren't in the original. (Mainly, in the Burst Mode debut episode)

Quote:

They reduced Apocalymon from a sadistic and nihilist being who self-mutilates his own body into suicidal depression into a wisecracking, pun spewing guy who wanted extra pepperoni on his pizza and the delivery man short changed him. That's all you really need to know about how accurate the dub is.

I actually found Apocalymon's dub to be even more creepier than the original BECAUSE of that but alas, that's probably just me.

I'll be grabbing this as I still have my one VHS tape, what with Birdramon's debut on it.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I could be forgetting a lot of them, but I honestly only remember the movie dub really being that 'aggressive' about hinting Tai/Sora (and also a small hint of Joe/Mimi), and even then it's kind of flirted with near the end of 02 in Japanese, so it's not like it comes completely out of nowhere. It's not a 'crack' pairing or anything. It was a perfectly legitimate pairing that, dub creating some of it or not, a lot of people were very disappointed to not see work out.

Go watch the dub for when Taichi helps Sora give Yamato her homemade cooking in 02. They took a scene of him helping her get the courage to give it to him to him trying to ask her out but getting rejected. They completely rewrote it to satisfy their own wish fulfillment. And yeah, the whole "Love" thing in the movie which wasn't there at all in the original version.

That one I'll admit I was actually under the impression was still the same in Japanese. So if I was wrong on that one, my bad. Still though, there are a lot more scenes of Taichi and Sora interacting in either version than there ever was for Yamato and Sora, so I still feel there's more to work with for Taichi/Sora than there ever was for Yamato/Sora. The less said about the end of 02 the better.

Though, that has to do with a lot more and worse things than Yamato/Sora...*shudders in memory*

Quote:
Quote:
That and, for every bad joke, you'd be amazed how accurate the dubs are to the original version in the long run.

They reduced Apocalymon from a sadistic and nihilist being who self-mutilates his own body into suicidal depression into a wisecracking, pun spewing guy who wanted extra pepperoni on his pizza and the delivery man short changed him. That's all you really need to know about how accurate the dub is.

That is the worst change in the entire first season, definitely. But I stand by what I said, for every bad joke (which that re-characterization is the epitome of bad joke), there's something left way more intact than in any other 'dubbed for kids' show of it's time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Very excited for this! I'm very intrigued by the booklet and on-DVD gallery as well (I don't think it mentioned it in the ANN article, but the Rightstuf page mentioned there was an image gallery on the DVD). It isn't very often that these kinds of shows have any substantial extras.

In terms of the Japanese version, I think the only hope we have is that Toei might release it separately on DVD. There's simply too many edits in the dub to ever hope for dual audio. (Of course, I would be happy with Toei just releasing the first season subbed streaming like they did 02 and Tamers...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jaymie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Reading ANN talkbacks is the easiest way to go from a good mood to a murderous rage.

Why people are complaining about Digimon finally being legitimately released on DVD for $60.00 for all 54 episodes (with a free guide book to boot), I do not know. Subs were never going to happen because that would involve effort. New Video Group is just releasing a 13 year-old dub on DVD. They probably had to negotiate a bit for the rights, but they didn't have to translate or encode anything. And you know what? I'm so happy that Digimon Adventure is on DVD that I don't care if the audio was in Finnish. I'd still buy it.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
I am currently flipping out fangirl style.

OH MAN I NEED THIS! OMG can they get Adventure 2 as well?? I LOVE Adventure 2! <3

Also Tamers!! Can we get Tamers????

....I stopped paying attention after that series, but OH MAN I don't even care if there's no Japanese track! This is AWESOME!

It doesn't really bother me that they won't have subtitled, besides the nostalgia factor, this is still a kids show, maybe there will be some sort of uncut edition, but for now, I'm happy there's even a legitimate DVD release at all. Oh, and I will be buying in hopes that we will get Tamers because that one was my favorite.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Why didn't they just do what Bandai Entertainment did with Ronin Warriors, and put the English version on one side of the discs and the Japanese version on the other side?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I am very excited to see legitimate news about this release, since the rumours I'd heard before were not 100% trustworthy. I will definitely be buying this series.

I've seen most of Adventures subbed as well as dubbed and yeah, there are moments when the dub takes some serious missteps but most of the time it has accurate translations of the Japanese, with the terrible (but awesome) jokes added in alongside it. So it was more an addition than an outright change and the majority of the time I think it does very well.

The said, I would still have liked the Japanese track but I'll take what I can get.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Why didn't they just do what Bandai Entertainment did with Ronin Warriors, and put the English version on one side of the discs and the Japanese version on the other side?

Could be they just flat-out don't have the rights to the Japanese version, maybe. That and, this is already going to be about 7 to 8 episodes on most of the discs. Would a flip-side-disc be able to hold that many on each side? Honest question, I don't know enough about DVD technology to know that one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Could be they just flat-out don't have the rights to the Japanese version, maybe. That and, this is already going to be about 7 to 8 episodes on most of the discs. Would a flip-side-disc be able to hold that many on each side? Honest question, I don't know enough about DVD technology to know that one.

It would.

But I think what it really comes down to is that the demand for the dub is significantly higher, making a sub release not worth the effort.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
I could be forgetting a lot of them, but I honestly only remember the movie dub really being that 'aggressive' about hinting Tai/Sora (and also a small hint of Joe/Mimi), and even then it's kind of flirted with near the end of 02 in Japanese, so it's not like it comes completely out of nowhere. It's not a 'crack' pairing or anything. It was a perfectly legitimate pairing that, dub creating some of it or not, a lot of people were very disappointed to not see work out.

Go watch the dub for when Taichi helps Sora give Yamato her homemade cooking in 02. They took a scene of him helping her get the courage to give it to him to him trying to ask her out but getting rejected. They completely rewrote it to satisfy their own wish fulfillment. And yeah, the whole "Love" thing in the movie which wasn't there at all in the original version.

The scene in the movie still pretty much implies that whole "love" thing even in Japanese.
I mean...a heart pops up at the end of his e-mail due to an accidental click of the mouse. What else would a heart possibly mean?
The dub just blatantly said what it was/meant is all.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
$80 is overpriced for a Pokemon rip-off/cash-in. Why the fark not sell a Gobots set for $200 while you're at it? Rolling Eyes
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
It doesn't really bother me that they won't have subtitled, besides the nostalgia factor, this is still a kids show, maybe there will be some sort of uncut edition, but for now, I'm happy there's even a legitimate DVD release at all.

Bleach is also a kids' show and it has a Japanese track. Why should Digimon be excluded?

Other than that, I'm happy for those picking up this set (as I won't be doing so for obvious reasons) as its steal for the price going and amount of episodes. I'll just have to be hoping for a Voltron situation.

Ryasha wrote:
I mean...a heart pops up at the end of his e-mail due to an accidental click of the mouse. What else would a heart possibly mean?

...That he accidentally clicked the mouse and it popped up, hence the whole ordeal with Hikari e-mailing it for him. Taichi seems to not want their relationship to go any further.
Ryasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
AgitoZ wrote:

Ryasha wrote:

...That he accidentally clicked the mouse and it popped up, hence the whole ordeal with Hikari e-mailing it for him. Taichi seems to not want their relationship to go any further.

The same thing happened in the dub version though.
He accidentally clicked the mouse and it changed 'From' to 'Love'.
I'm not saying it excuses every shipping moment between them but that one doesn't seem like something that people should make a big deal out of.
Wadels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
It would be interesting to know what the quality of the masters are like for these DVDs.

When Madman Entertainment released Digimon down in Australia/New Zealand last year, a few of the masters provided by Toei Animation contained the "TV-Y7" watermark on them. Madman claimed that the masters they recieved from Toei were the only good quality english masters left in the world.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the confirmation it could handle it, oblivious247.

AgitoZ wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
It doesn't really bother me that they won't have subtitled, besides the nostalgia factor, this is still a kids show, maybe there will be some sort of uncut edition, but for now, I'm happy there's even a legitimate DVD release at all.

Bleach is also a kids' show and it has a Japanese track. Why should Digimon be excluded?

Other than that, I'm happy for those picking up this set (as I won't be doing so for obvious reasons) as its steal for the price going and amount of episodes. I'll just have to be hoping for a Voltron situation.

In all honesty, you're right. Digimon shouldn't be excluded. The problem though is that Digimon was dubbed a long time ago, for the purpose of only ever being an edited product. Bleach is much more recent, and was made to be a dual-version product from the get go. They just came along at way different times.

That and, even if both are kid's shows, Digimon is still aimed at a slightly lower bracket, isn't it? Based on Bakuman anyway, it seems like there's a lot of different age brackets for even the overall 'kids' market in Japan.

Still, you're entirely within your right to not buy it, and thank you for at least being rational in your reasoning for it. It's very refreshing to see someone be that way even when displeased about a product, instead of the usual whining that goes on. Very Happy

Quote:
Ryasha wrote:

Hmm...I dunno, I think that scene could be read into in different ways. There's the way you pointed out, but on the flip side of that, he's a little kid. They're like, what, 11 or 12 there? Maybe 13 tops (don't think so though). He's at an age where he wouldn't know what he wanted in that regard IMO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10