• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Video Group to Release Digimon Adventure Season 1 on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
AgitoZ wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
It doesn't really bother me that they won't have subtitled, besides the nostalgia factor, this is still a kids show, maybe there will be some sort of uncut edition, but for now, I'm happy there's even a legitimate DVD release at all.

Bleach is also a kids' show and it has a Japanese track. Why should Digimon be excluded?

Because in the States Bleach is marketed at a teen audience, while Digimon was meant for young children. And the young children watching this show were watching it dubbed.
AgitoZ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
Because in the States Bleach is marketed at a teen audience, while Digimon was meant for young children. And the young children watching this show were watching it dubbed.

Oh I know why Bleach has it and Digimon won't. I'm just saying the fact that's it's a kids show shouldn't be the reason why it doesn't get one, some of the biggest anime properties in America are for children. I only picked Bleach because of the poster's avatar.

Not to mention, this set is going for the nostalgia crowd, right? I don't think kids are going to be buying this set anyway.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
It's very refreshing to see someone be that way even when displeased about a product, instead of the usual whining that goes on. Very Happy

I have no problem with the set. For what it is it's a great product. Unfortunately, said product does not contain what I grew up with. If anything, I'm disappointed.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
There's the way you pointed out, but on the flip side of that, he's a little kid. They're like, what, 11 or 12 there? Maybe 13 tops (don't think so though).

He's still 11 I think. Our War Game is not that far after the series.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
/inb4 people start bitching about the lack of the Japanese audio, despite the fact that the majority of people who would buy this grew up with and associate this show with the English dub.

Maybe. But a lot of those people then turned to enjoy Japanese dubs years later (with English subs or without). If anything, I'd like both... but hey. License/distribution is not always as simple as "We want, we get."

I enjoy the English version for what it is, though I seriously find the Japanese to have the better atmosphere. The English dub wasn't bad, but there were too many jokes for my taste that I laughed at as a kid... and cringe at now. And I swear... the characters became iconic, but stereotypical and flat in the English dub, even if they were fun to watch back then because I didn't understand the subtle social personalities they were grouped in.

This... I don't know WHY people assume that just because you were once a fan of the dub, means you aren't a fan of the original now :/ That's like saying "If you watched Cardcaptors on tv, why didn't you buy that one instead of Cardcaptor Sakura??" Bit of an extreme, but same sort of thing. As I say all the time, Digimon: The Movie, is what I consider to be THE worst dub made, because of pretty much everything they did to it. Even if I DID watch it in dub form a million times, I cannot forgive it, once I watched the 3 movies in the way they were meant to be seen... Oh, and for a comparison on changes of just ONE script for example, here's just the first episode just for an example. Even Pokemon never really tossed around jokes left and right, and added lines to make the show more 'extreme' for kids, and change alot of their personalities too...

If they do release a separate sub set, consider my money down for it! I just hope that by the dub sales, they may consider it, rather than just doing all the seasons... dub only... after dub only...

Last edited by Sheleigha on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
AgitoZ wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

Oh I know why Bleach has it and Digimon won't. I'm just saying the fact that's it's a kids show shouldn't be the reason why it doesn't get one, some of the biggest anime properties in America are for children. I only picked Bleach because of the poster's avatar.

Not to mention, this set is going for the nostalgia crowd, right? I don't think kids are going to be buying this set anyway.

Ya this is definitely for the nostalgia crowd. The targeted age group for this show today probably doesn't even know what Digimon is. And I can't imagine anime fans who didn't grow up with this being all that interested either.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Still though, there are a lot more scenes of Taichi and Sora interacting in either version than there ever was for Yamato and Sora, so I still feel there's more to work with for Taichi/Sora than there ever was for Yamato/Sora. The less said about the end of 02 the better.

Taichi, Sora, and Koushiro were all on the same soccer team, so of course they'd be closer; they're friends before the show began. Yamato was outside their three-man group. It's strictly platonic though.

(Bold by me because this is sounding like shipper justification here rather than just stating the facts)

Ryasha wrote:
The scene in the movie still pretty much implies that whole "love" thing even in Japanese.
I mean...a heart pops up at the end of his e-mail due to an accidental click of the mouse. What else would a heart possibly mean?
The dub just blatantly said what it was/meant is all.

Not at all. The dub completely rewrote it that scene.

In the original Taichi's not good with kanji so he was having trouble selecting the right one to use for his name. Heck, he didn't even know what one he selected because Hikari sent it before he could see it. There was nothing about 'love' or 'from'. When Sora got it, she laughed and called him an idiot because of it, but he didn't know why (the letter was how he told her to "stop being mad already" because of their argument). There was zero romance involved at all or hinted at.

(太一 is the right one for his name, for the record)
Ryasha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Still though, there are a lot more scenes of Taichi and Sora interacting in either version than there ever was for Yamato and Sora, so I still feel there's more to work with for Taichi/Sora than there ever was for Yamato/Sora. The less said about the end of 02 the better.

Taichi, Sora, and Koushiro were all on the same soccer team, so of course they'd be closer; they're friends before the show began. Yamato was outside their three-man group. It's strictly platonic though.

(Bold by me because this is sounding like shipper justification here.. hope not)

Ryasha wrote:
The scene in the movie still pretty much implies that whole "love" thing even in Japanese.
I mean...a heart pops up at the end of his e-mail due to an accidental click of the mouse. What else would a heart possibly mean?
The dub just blatantly said what it was/meant is all.

Not at all. The dub completely rewrote it that scene.

In the original Taichi's not good with kanji so he was having trouble selecting the right one to use for his name. Heck, he didn't even know what one he selected because Hikari sent it before he could see it. There was nothing about 'love' or 'from'. When Sora got it, she laughed and called him an idiot because of it, but he didn't know why (the letter was how he told her to "stop being mad already" because of their argument). There was zero romance involved at all.

(太一 is the right one for his name, for the record)

You seem to be missing my point.
What I'm saying is that the heart was still there, regardless of whether he meant it to be there or not. Just like he didn't intend for 'love' to be their either.
With that heart being there, it still carries the same vibe as changing 'from' to 'love'.

It's still an accidental thing regardless and for people to make such a big deal about it is just plain ridiculous.

Last edited by Ryasha on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
taster of pork

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I would really love a subtitled version. The English voices were pretty good, but now I hate the dialog. Same goes for all the other seasons. But since we're finally getting a proper release I'll still buy it.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Many of Shout! Factory's releases do contain closed captions, including their Power Rangers DVDs.

Not if you want Sonic the Hedgehog: Animated Series, The Adventure of Sonic the Hedgehog, Beast Wars, etc. I'm not much into Power Rangers and I think that is the only Subbed released DVD Shout! Factory has released. :/

Quote:
Echo Bridge's horrible Pokemon DVDs had other issues too, but if you want English subtitles on those 4 Pokemon movies, buy the old Buena Vista DVDs (their releases were miles better than Echo Bridge's anyway...).

Those old DVDs nowadays are hard to find (maybe except for Ebay or Amazon, but I prefer RightStuf). I'll look into it make sure I didn't find the wrong DVD.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Why didn't they just do what Bandai Entertainment did with Ronin Warriors, and put the English version on one side of the discs and the Japanese version on the other side?

My guess is because those flipper discs are not so popular with most people (myself included because of my past experiences with them being not so great) because of how they're easy to scratch. You make a good point though that it would fit perfectly in this situation like with Bandai's Ronin Warriors & Manga's Street Fighter II Movie (2006 release) because not everyone watches both versions and they can just watch one side for each disc.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Adventure 02 & Tamers if they do release them because along with the dub, there are sub versions available online and they can use those subs & release both versions in flippers if they wanted to release both.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with most. I grew up with the show and the dub does have some nostalgia, but I would prefer a subbed addition, too.

Nonetheless, I am buying this (or should I say I've had it preordered for two weeks lol) to support the show and hope we get future seasons (I'm probably the only one who liked Frontier), or, even better, maybe get the sub in the future.

The Japanese does have a very different tone, too.

I'm also wondering if the liscense has gotten more expensive. Seems Japan is turning out more old style Digimon stuff as of late with bringing back older characters in the anime and the game franchises.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It'll be interesting to see what they do with Adventure 02 & Tamers if they do release them because along with the dub, there are sub versions available online and they can use those subs & release both versions in flippers if they wanted to release both.

That's another reason maybe. Someone before said about how effortless it is to just slap the dub out, that putting the sub on here would take more effort. It definitely would in this case because...they'd have to have the subs made or make them themselves, even before figuring out how to do the discs. No official subtitles exist for Adventure. Adventure 02, Tamers, and Xros Wars all have official subs though, so getting that far along could be different.

ShindoW wrote:
Nonetheless, I am buying this to support the show and hope we get future seasons (I'm probably the only one who liked Frontier), or, even better, maybe get the sub in the future.

Frontier got a lot of flack from the fandom, but I think that's died down a bit now. I know I like it quite a bit. It's probably at least the 3rd best show, and a lot more stable than some of the others, once you get past the initial kneejerk of 'wait...so they turn INTO Digimon now?'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Too bad there is no Japanese track. I will not buy because of this.
Of course, there is the nostalgia of the English (which I watched as a kid), I also watched the Japanese without subtitles as a youngin (OK, so 3-4 years ago). It's really, really to bad there is no Japanese track at that price. I would be willing to pay 100 if they added it.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I would be willing to pay 100 if they added it.

Me too. Gladly, I would...
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
English-Only Audio...No subtitles?

Dammit! I will not buy it considering that I'm deaf.

New Video Group...You are now on my list of Not Buy Things From List, including Shout! Factory and EchoBridge. >Sad

Echo Bridge already ruined Pokemon Movies by not including subtitles, and Shout! Factory turn turned deaf ear (ironically) on deaf people.

I know the feeling, I'm hard of hearing, but I'll still be getting this. I love the show too much not to see it success on DVD. Maybe you can have a friend subtitle it for you?
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
It's also important to note that this is NVG's first anime release and that this release isn't really aimed specifically at anime fans. They're capitalizing on a broad nostalgic consumer base, many if not most, of whom are not anime fans today and could care less about whether or not this was subbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10