• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kanta Kamei, Director of Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:59 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Spoiler tag for the interview???

Why? If you haven't finished at least the Anime then you shouldn't be reading the interview. It's common sense.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
The Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood anime ended a month after the Fullmetal Alchemist manga ended. So it can't be impossible.

Pretty sure I remember reading that Hiromu Arakawa had the ending planned out and was working with the anime staff so that both could end essentially simultaneously with the same ending.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
I think grooven is referring to the comments about what transpires in the manga after the anime adaptation ends. That, too, is now pretty common knowledge among viewers of Usagi Drop because it's been discussed repeatedly in forums about the show. I tried avoiding learning anything about the rest of the manga, but it was almost impossible to avoid being spoiled. I am a bit surprised that Ms. Silverman decided to pursue this subject, though, since it's not germane to the anime. I guess if I were to spoiler anything in the article it would be the comment about spoiler[Daikichi and Rin living happily together ever after].
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
grooven wrote:
Spoiler tag for the interview???

Why? If you haven't finished at least the Anime then you shouldn't be reading the interview. It's common sense.

I maybe wouldn't have put it so bluntly but that was my initial reaction to that comment as well...
At this point knowing the premise of how the manga continues isn't much of a spoiler, as long as the viewer has seen the anime anyway...
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
When I was first seeing hints of the manga's ending, it made it sound like something pretty tragic(and I think the fact that I took a while to watch the last episode was influenced by that belief). When I was spoiled(by somebody who claimed to have seen it coming which therefore meant it warranted no tag), I was kind of relieved(though I was then permanently lodged in the legion of fans who won't be looking into the manga past volume four) that it turned out to just be something stupid(I'd secretly hoped it was all along, with me firmly convincing myself it'd just be spoiler[Daikichi X Runaway witch]).
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
If she hadn't asked about the ending this entire thread would be "why didn't you ask about the manga ending?!?!".
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I am getting the feeling that some people are disgusted by the ending of the Bunny Drop manga. I have only read the Wikipedia summaries of all the manga volumes (I am planning to read the whole manga today and tomorrow), and it does not seem far fetched for spoiler[Daikishi and Rin to end up as a romantic couple].

It may be controversial, but I think that not adapting the full manga into anime (you can always read the manga, of course) is depriving us of some deep and thoughtful conversations. Why run away from controversial subjects?
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If she hadn't asked about the ending this entire thread would be "why didn't you ask about the manga ending?!?!".

I don't think it would have damaged the interview to put a spoiler tag over the answer... This is an interview with the director of the anime, not the creator of the manga. You shouldn't have to know about the ending to want to hear what he has to say about the anime.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
Zac wrote:

I don't think it would have damaged the interview to put a spoiler tag over the answer... This is an interview with the director of the anime, not the creator of the manga. You shouldn't have to know about the ending to want to hear what he has to say about the anime.

You should know about the ending anyways, it saves you the hardship of having to find out by actually reading it. Thank whoever spoiled it for you, don't complain about it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't need a spoiler tag, for the simple reason that Kamei's answer was vague enough to not need one. Yes, he says that Rin and Daikichi will be together, but without saying the context it could mean anything. It may have been something as simple as surviving a health scare.
Yerld

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It may be controversial, but I think that not adapting the full manga into anime (you can always read the manga, of course) is depriving us of some deep and thoughtful conversations. Why run away from controversial subjects?

Does the manga include any meaningful commentary on the subject? Some suggest that it's unnecessary and awkwardly incorporated, perhaps written for the sake of a controversial twist.

I mean, Koi Kaze was lauded by reviewers who disagreed with the choices made by the characters, so criticism of Bunny Drop may extend beyond the taboo subject matter. Sometimes it's about how the author treats the topic.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Yerld wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Does the manga include any meaningful commentary on the subject? Some suggest that it's unnecessary and awkwardly incorporated, perhaps written for the sake of a controversial twist.

I mean, Koi Kaze was lauded by reviewers who disagreed with the choices made by the characters, so criticism of Bunny Drop may extend beyond the taboo subject matter. Sometimes it's about how the author treats the topic.

I am currently reading the Bunnny Drop manga. So far, the story feels as strong as what has been already animated. I know what happens at the end of the manga from summaries, but I want to read every single page from volume 5 onwards to see for myself if it is worth it.

Koi Kaze is the only anime I have seen that spoiler[ has actual incest]. But I think it is not very fair to compare Koi Kaze to Bunny Drop because in the latter spoiler[the relation between Rin and Daikishi is technically not incestuous].

If you have not read it and/or are interested on how the Bunny Drop manga unfolds, I will be more than happy to give my impressions once I read it myself.
grooven

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I have managed to not read the spoiler i have seen the anime. I would have liked to have read the impressions of the anime director without having manga spoiler in full view (otherwise perhaps hidden). I did not expect to see so many manga spoilers when it is about the anime. I suppose it is to be expected since the ending spoiler being everywhere. It does in retrospect relate to where the series of the anime ends, but still.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
It doesn't need a spoiler tag, for the simple reason that Kamei's answer was vague enough to not need one. Yes, he says that Rin and Daikichi will be together, but without saying the context it could mean anything. It may have been something as simple as surviving a health scare.

So... what's the first situation that comes to mind when she asks "Are you aware of the controversy about the manga's ending" and he later responds with "Daikichi and Rin are able to live happily together." There really aren't too many options that have them both living happily together and yet it is controversial.

I'm just saying that taking 5-10 seconds to put a spoiler tag on can save people from being spoiled about the ending and not get them angry.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:33 am Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
So... what's the first situation that comes to mind when she asks "Are you aware of the controversy about the manga's ending" and he later responds with "Daikichi and Rin are able to live happily together." There really aren't too many options that have them both living happily together and yet it is controversial.

Uh, Daikichi or Rin surviving a health scare, child protective services being called, extended family wanting to take care of Rin, her mother wanting to reclaim her, Rin runs away after fighting with Daikichi and he has to find her, and so on and so forth. It is a very vague and open-ended comment.

If you had asked me what the director was talking about and I didn't know, my first thought would not have been that the two spoiler[ended up getting married.] That would be one of the furthest thoughts from my mind.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4