• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Kanta Kamei, Director of Bunny Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Controversy aside, to me the ending just felt extremely rushed and forced. When i first read it, i was more surprised than shocked (granted, i had already been spoiled...) because it seemed like a couple of pages (or chapters...) were missing.
boredandlazy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

If you had asked me what the director was talking about and I didn't know, my first thought would not have been that the two spoiler[ended up getting married.] That would be one of the furthest thoughts from my mind.

Exactly. To be honest whilst I knew there was a massive time skip after the point where the anime ended I didn't actually know the manga ended this way even after reading this interview. I only found out by clicking the spoilers in this thread.
Now that I do know, if it was to ever be animated I wouldn't want to see it anyway.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I love his reaction to the manga ending. Basically, "we were planning on adapting past volume four... but then we actually read it and NOPE."

Good for him. Laughing

Precisely how I took it. I know they can't just come out and blatantly say, "Oh, we loved the first arc, but then we read past that and, having parents on our staff, they were supremely disturbed."

Absolutely gonna own this anime if I get the chance. The director and the staff really took the best of it while leaving the head-fscked second half out in the cold. Bravo.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Uh, Daikichi or Rin surviving a health scare, child protective services being called, extended family wanting to take care of Rin, her mother wanting to reclaim her, Rin runs away after fighting with Daikichi and he has to find her, and so on and so forth. It is a very vague and open-ended comment.

Eh.....surviving a health scare is not a controversial ending. If child protective services was called then they wouldn't be living happily together, same with all of the other situations you explained. A scenario where they are living happily together and the audience is taking issue with it doesn't have too many options. Especially when you consider this is anime, where spoiler[incest shows] come out just about every season, it's really not hard to put 2 and 2 together.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
Eh.....surviving a health scare is not a controversial ending. If child protective services was called then they wouldn't be living happily together, same with all of the other situations you explained. A scenario where they are living happily together and the audience is taking issue with it doesn't have too many options. Especially when you consider this is anime, where spoiler[incest shows] come out just about every season, it's really not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

To be a controversial ending it may have just been really badly-written, which in some ways it was.

And it's not like the scenarios I gave are more far-fetched than what we actually got. It could have been a cancer scare that turned out to be a false positive. Or child protective services might have threatened to take Rin away but they didn't after seeing how nicely Daikichi had been caring for her. And of course then there's Rin's mother, who may have turned into a total cow and wanted Rin back, resulting in a horrible custody fight which Daikichi only just wins.

And I mean come on, some people are going to realise the truth about the actual ending, but most wouldn't dream of it. In the Anime, Rin is seven at the end and as far as we know spoiler[blood-related to Daikichi.] There's no way I would ever have guessed that spoiler[she'd eventually ask Daikichi to marry her] if someone hadn't told me, because that goes way outside the bounds of spoiler[typical incest shows, which these days are usually Ero-Harem-Comedies.]

Usagi Drop started off as a thoughtful look at a man raising a girl. Of course people are going to be surprised (and feel betrayed) after hearing about what it turns into.
madokachan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one that actually enjoyed how the manga ended? I really only watched the anime because I was hoping they would animate all of the manga at some point, but that seems to have a slim chance of happening after reading this. It's not like the manga ending was perverted- it was tastefully heartwarming the way it was done imo.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
madokachan wrote:
Am I the only one that actually enjoyed how the manga ended? I really only watched the anime because I was hoping they would animate all of the manga at some point, but that seems to have a slim chance of happening after reading this. It's not like the manga ending was perverted- it was tastefully heartwarming the way it was done imo.

I know the ending of the manga from Wikipedia, but I am going to read it myself to see how the story progress. I am in chapter 39, and the story continues to be strong and well written. I want to think that the whole manga makes sense and that it wraps up in a nice way.

I am also surprised at the negativity in this forum toward the manga. I almost get the feeling that, for some of you, the end of the Usagi Drop manga is a monstrosity. This is just my opinion, but I am not shocked that spoiler[Daikishi and Rin ended as a couple]. That is not far fetched considering that spoiler[they are not blood-related. I would not call that incest].
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That is not far fetched considering that spoiler[they are not blood-related. I would not call that incest].

Considering the freak out around here over KissXSis, spoiler[this at least demonstrates intellectual honesty]
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am also surprised at the negativity in this forum toward the manga. I almost get the feeling that, for some of you, the end of the Usagi Drop manga is a monstrosity. This is just my opinion, but I am not shocked that spoiler[Daikishi and Rin ended as a couple]. That is not far fetched considering that spoiler[they are not blood-related. I would not call that incest].

Stop focusing on spoiler[the lack of a blood relationship. There are three big problems with the ending. The first is that it is plain wrong for a child to marry their caregiver, blood-related or not. The second is that Daikichi only seems to be marrying her to have someone to look after him; he doesn't love her in the same way she loves him. The third is that the story started off as a thoughtful look at the joys and troubles being a single parent brings, and it ended up as something completely different. The ending craps all over the excellent work the Manga did in the first four volumes. That's not to say I don't have a problem with the rest of the material in the second half; one incident has a girl threatening to blackmail a guy by falsely telling people she's pregnant with his child. It's really bad drama which is - or, should have been - far beneath a story of this calibre. But as bad as the preceding volumes were, the ending is definitely the huge tree which breaks the camel's back. It turns a once-touching story into something distasteful, morally offensive and just plain wrong.]
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That is not far fetched considering that spoiler[they are not blood-related. I would not call that incest].

spoiler[And people who have adopted children, are adopted themselves, or even have friends who are adopted would call it incest. Blood relation has nothing to do with the the parental-child connection between the two characters.

People came into this series expecting an adorable and semi-realistic tale of a dad and his adopted daughter, not how when she's of age they're going to end up fornicating. ]

Honestly, I don't care if you like the ending or not, all power to you, and hey you can collect all of the manga and be happy. Just don't act surprised when other people do not care for it, and happily stop reading after volume 4.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
spoiler[People came into this series expecting an adorable and semi-realistic tale of a dad and his adopted daughter, not how when she's of age they're going to end up fornicating.]

Pre-effing-cisely. Couldn't have put it better myself.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 makes a good argument in that spoiler[marrying a person for selfish reasons is wrong]. I can understand that. The spoiler[incest/or no incest] seems to be the biggest criticism. I am not going to say spoiler[incest] is not wrong, because it is. But I think that people need to also consider the circumstances that led the manga to end the way it did.

I want to find about those circumstances by reading the manga. I am judging the manga by how well of bad it is written. It was a bad idea to mention spoiler[incest] because I do not want to judge the manga solely on moral grounds. I am foremost more interested on how the manga is written.

If after reading the manga, I conclude that it is poorly written, I then will agree that it is a pile of crap. My main criticism from some posts is that it seems that the second part of the Usagi Drop manga is being solely judged on the grounds of moral correctness. Again, I do not agree with spoiler[incestuous relations], but I think a piece of fiction needs to be first judged by how well written and executed it is.

We do not need to agree with the actions taken by the characters to appreciate a well executed piece of fiction. Take for example the Garden of Sinners. We do not agree with the actions taken by some characters, but we can appreciate that it is an interesting anime with very good animation and direction.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I understand and agree with your sentiment about wanting to read the Manga's ending so that you absolutely know whether it is good or bad.

I think I said it before, but spoiler[incest doesn't really bother me by itself so long as it is written well. The brother and sister from Koi Kaze are spoiler[100% blood-related siblings, and they end up having sex and eloping.] I didn't have a problem with that at all. In fact, I'm actually happy for Koushirou and Nanoka. So my hatred towards Usagi Drop's ending does not stem from a knee-jerk reaction at incest, but those other issues that I mentioned before.]
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I guess we just have 2 different takes on the word controversy. If something is poorly written, I don't consider that controversial.

I'm not saying it's impossible to come up with other scenarios, but "I" "ME" did not know about the ending or anything about it, and was not looking into the manga because I was hoping for the rest of it to be animated. That's why I read this article, to find out if there was any mention of plans to animate the other half of the story spoiler[(I heard there was more, involving a time skip, but that's all).] After reading that interview I was 100% certain of what they were talking about, and it's pretty frustrating knowing that it could have been avoided if the editor took 10 seconds to tag it. That's what I'm really trying to argue here. Would there really have been complaints from people going "Ugh... it was a good interview until I had to mouse over the spoilers to read that one answer..."
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
You seem to be the only one complaining.

The only spoilers in the interview was that the ending was controversial and that Rin and Daikichi end up together. That you could tell what happened based on just those two clues is not only impressive but also kind of weird; is your mind always leaping to the worst conclusion?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4