• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Big Trouble in Little Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Granted a far more contentious debate, but Bamboo, could you or anybody else with both copies make any comments on the upgrade value ... at least whether the default amount of drool over HD-quality makes it worth going for?

There's some noticeable issues with banding, but the problems come from the master and not the encoding that FUNi did (they even confirmed this themselves). But it's still a lot better than FUNi's previous release. You can read this thread for more info and pics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Well there are a bunch of series out (including Welcome to the NHK) from Funimation (and some from other publishers) as well as some not yet released Funi titles that I'd like to get. Its just a matter of time and money.

Anyway, I ussually don't pay much attention to reviews, other than to get a general idea of how a show is seen, generally speaking I like to contrast the reviewers remarks and the people who comment about the review.

Anyway, that said, I'm throughly pleased to see more afirmation that Welcome to the NHK is indeed a good title to get.

That said I was dissapointed at first when I saw Kenichi ripped apart like that. That said after reading some of the comments other users have made, it sounds like it still might be something I'd like even if the reviewer disliked it.

I definately get the impression that its a typical guy show with decent fights and "stupid humour." Maybe its just because I'm from that younger "stupid funny" generation? IDK *shrugs* either way, I think its still on my to get list, but its been pushed back and yellow flagged.

Anyway, its always funny to read through all the posts and take in all the different opinions. Smile
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I'm starting to think that you're going to have to start grading everything as Shelf Worthy, to save yourself from the complaints later on.
A review could read like this "This was the worst show ever, the animation was horrible, the characters unlikeable, and the music made my ears bleed. But if you like stuff like that, then you'll love this show!"
I mean, really, it is shocking that someone who is being paid to give their opinion actually has the gall to give their actual opinion!

And I'm in the camp that really dislikes the covers for the ADV release of NHK, despite the fact that I collected the singles for that show. But I don't think it was necessarily ADVs fault, as I believe they used the same covers as the Japanese DVD releases.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Bamboo, I'm starting to think that you're going to have to start grading everything as Shelf Worthy, to save yourself from the complaints later on.

It's rather tempting. Though the last time I wrote a tongue-in-cheek review for something I really hated, one of my sarcastic quotes got taken out of context and was placed on the back of a hentai DVD...
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Quark wrote:

It's rather tempting. Though the last time I wrote a tongue-in-cheek review for something I really hated, one of my sarcastic quotes got taken out of context and was placed on the back of a hentai DVD...

Really? Excuse my curiosity, but would you mind mentioning which review and what the quote was? Very Happy That sounds funny.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Quark wrote:

Really? Excuse my curiosity, but would you mind mentioning which review and what the court was? Very Happy That sounds funny.

Well hey now, that's my secret to keep. If you find it, then kudos. ; ) The quote was something like, "An extremely riveting story" or something like that. An opportune time to ignore sarcasm, I must say.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:26 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Really? Excuse my curiosity, but would you mind mentioning which review and what the court was? Very Happy That sounds funny.

Well hey now, that's my secret to keep. If you find it, then kudos. ; ) The quote was something like, "An extremely riveting story" or something like that. An opportune time to ignore sarcasm, I must say.

Heh, you've written a surprisingly large number of hentai reviews, especially counting those done in Shelf Life, so it might not be so easy. On a side note, I have no idea how "quote" got turned into "court" in my previous post. It's certainly not a normal typo. Shocked
sir_carrot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I find it almost bizarre that I appear to be one of the few individuals in this world that really, really dug Tokyo Majin.

Yes, the characters are painful archetypes - glaringly soon. Yes.

But. That won't stop Hiyuu from being my all time favorite anime hero.

The character design, and his quiet, kind demeanor really took me. If I could model myself after any anime person, that would be him.

Looks like he gets his share of bummer in the second season, but, that wasn't officially released yet and I'm not sure if anyone finished subbing it thanks to the ADV tanking, so, not sure how that all resolves.

Regardless. I like and sidestep all incoming criticism for that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4