• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass R2, Naruto Go on Hiatus on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DFBTG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've long since stopped caring what Adult Swim has been doing. I stopped watching it a few years back because they had nothing that interested me...and then never picked it back up even when they were airing stuff like Death Note and what have you. I suppose if I was finished watching Code Geass, I'd watch R2, but I'm not. Of course, I'm pretty psyched that Bandai has (finally) put up all the episodes of R1. Hope they'll put up R2 soon, too. Part of my lack of AS watching is I prefer to watch stuff when I so please, not when the network decides to air it. But, Gundam 00 should be able to tide me over till they do...if they do.
Bond007mgm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Somethings going on at Bandai entertainment anyways... They haven't released a Eureka Seven box set yet (which a lot of people have been demanding it). There website got a major down grade last year sometime and doesn't keep a database of the anime licenses they own. Adult Swim keeps Bandai licenses for a limited time like Eureka Seven as soon as they finished playing it they let it go and same with Outlaw Stars. Thats when they played anime everyday of the week almost.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I believe this marks the death of anime on TV. The last straw, I guess you could say.
The death of anime on CN/[adult swim] maybe. There are still other channels showing anime.

Josh7289 wrote:
That said, does anyone actually think Adult Swim will keep airing new episodes of Bleach after these fillers are over?
Some will but personally, I've been betting on a total anime removal for a while now. (Hey, I said they'd pulled Naruto and look what's going on there.)

All they care about now is their original stuff. It's not even the good original stuff anymore.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, I don't understand this move... why bother airing a second repeat of Bleach from the following week and then reboot Code Geass and put that back to back as well?

Their schedule tactics never make any sense..
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
I believe this marks the death of anime on TV. The last straw, I guess you could say.
The death of anime on CN/[adult swim] maybe. There are still other channels showing anime.

Josh7289 wrote:
That said, does anyone actually think Adult Swim will keep airing new episodes of Bleach after these fillers are over?
Some will but personally, I've been betting on a total anime removal for a while now. (Hey, I said they'd pulled Naruto and look what's going on there.)

All they care about now is their original stuff. It's not even the good original stuff anymore.

Yup that Ninja Scroll rerun tonight was great Rolling Eyes

Honestly I think it's time we gave up on CN and AS and starting begging Funi to expand the channel and the other compaines to um get a channel.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
They kept posting the TV numbers and Code Geass and Bleach keep beating out Tim and Eric awesome show and its ilk, which you would think is a good thing, but as I understand it the anime shows are attracting the wrong demographic (ie 13-18) instead of (18-26) or at least that's their reasoning for trying to push aside Code Geass, Moribito, and Bleach.

Then again they may be having a hard time getting the rights to new anime so they are trying to stretch out what they got currently and are saving Moribito till after Geass is over, while at the same time trying to stretch Geass out..... but I think I might be giving them to much credit for thinking that.

(Sorry for my butchering of the spelling of Moribito and will look for those numbers.)

From my understanding that has always been CN's problem with anime.

For example, Rurouni Kenshin did really well, the problem is that they where aiming for kids and got teenagers and adults. For advertisers looking for a specific age group that's not going to cut it.

Anime simply attracts the teenage demographic that no one wants. They don't have their parents spoiling them like Children, nor do most of them have jobs like adults.

Also from my understanding CN wants more original content
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honestly I think it's time we gave up on CN and AS and starting begging Funi to expand the channel and the other compaines to um get a channel

Do I not Say this. FUNimation, Bandai, Viz and ADV. Has the Power to do this. I'd bet Cartoon Network and Nick and what ever other channels there is would get abandon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
They kept posting the TV numbers and Code Geass and Bleach keep beating out Tim and Eric awesome show and its ilk, which you would think is a good thing, but as I understand it the anime shows are attracting the wrong demographic (ie 13-18) instead of (18-26) or at least that's their reasoning for trying to push aside Code Geass, Moribito, and Bleach.

Then again they may be having a hard time getting the rights to new anime so they are trying to stretch out what they got currently and are saving Moribito till after Geass is over, while at the same time trying to stretch Geass out..... but I think I might be giving them to much credit for thinking that.

(Sorry for my butchering of the spelling of Moribito and will look for those numbers.)

From my understanding that has always been CN's problem with anime.

For example, Rurouni Kenshin did really well, the problem is that they where aiming for kids and got teenagers and adults. For advertisers looking for a specific age group that's not going to cut it.

Anime simply attracts the teenage demographic that no one wants. They don't have their parents spoiling them like Children, nor do most of them have jobs like adults.

Also from my understanding CN wants more original content

I think the biggest example of this is them canceling Toonanime with its slick looking Robot Host Tom, and replacing it with Magoozie with its Dora the explore rip off host and childish monster side kicks in what seemed to be a yellow submarine under the sea....

What I think they don't' realize is that they have almost capped out on younger viewers, and while they may get a small expansion in younger viewers they are limiting their over all market exposure.

A solution to all this is to move AS to Boomerang (since it is targeted at older viewers and the 15-18 range) and start showing old Anime on Boomerang.

This would seemingly fix all the demographic conflict and maybe would allow for some non-schizophrenic scheduling, advertising, and over all strategy to Anime on AS.

Last edited by RoverTX on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Even if there are, I meant that we've passed the point of no return. The balance has shifted to online streaming now, and I can't see it going back to TV.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Last time I saw Naruto on TV was when CN showed the third movie. Since then, they haven't shown anything Naruto-related as far as I know, and the episodes were hardly, if ever, shown even before the third movie premier. Which really bites, since I actually enjoyed watching the fillers.

As for Code Geass, well, I guess I'll be able to start watching R2 from the beginning (since I'm almost caught up on the first season via Bandai's channel), but still, knowing that after the re-run it'll end due to the hiatus, that won't be fun.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly CN's problem is that they are number 3 behind Nick and Disney and they want the same audience. It's painfully obvious that they're niche lies elsewhere and they are in denial.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
To the fans: Please don't take personally, but as syphathetic as I am about Code Geass R2 and Naruto, I am glad at least Bleach was able to miss the cut.

I have a good friend who watches and enjoy's Code Geass R2, so by no means I am bashing that show or Naruto. I don't have the option to watch anime I haven't seen already via tv, so I am very glad Bleach wasn't put on hiatus. I've really enjoyed all of the spoiler[bount arc, so it would really be a major blow if a show was stopped midway.]

Sorry if I offended anyone, but at least dvd's of Code Geass R2 and Naruto are readily availible.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I blame the fans who refuse to watch Code Geass on adult swim because it's in "Lol, English"
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This is totally tragic, now how am I supposed to watch Episodes 210-220 of Naruto (English Dub) and Episodes 16-25 of Code Geass R2 (English Dub)?
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow Baby naruto your everywhere >_>.. Meet me on MAL and Ill help you with your English dub problem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7