• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass R2, Naruto Go on Hiatus on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakuramusicstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I fully agree,and never thought of it that way.
doctordoom85 wrote:
In terms of the Code Geass dub debate. here's a crazy idea: for those who don't like the dub, but have signed up for Nielsen ratings (or however it works), why not just have it on the channel and mute it while you do something else? I know, it's an INSANE idea, but it just might work! Wink

Seriously, when my family was signed up for the week, I turned on CN when the Naruto fillers were on and muted it and went to do something else (normally I would've watched as I think the Naruto dub is underrated, but I hate the filler-thon of Part 1). Cheating? Well, whatever gets the job done. Smile

Anyway, I think CN is idiotic for removing Naruto. Leaving ONE anime series on their non-AS schedule is hardly going to scare away their new target audience, and even if the ratings dropped during the fillers, I'm sure they'd bump back up again once Shippuden started. While Adult Swim actually seems to make rational moves regarding when they remove anime due to ratings, CN is just random. Once One Piece got the Funi dub, the ratings went up, and THEN it was cancelled (so how did the 4Kids dub survive so long with its low ratings?), and now Naruto.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I agree with those who have said it's most likely a dub delay or DVD materials issue as far as Code Geass goes.

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to re-run the entire first season before trying to put R2 on air, considering how this is happening relatively soon after the Japanese broadcast.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, CN skews a bit younger, but #3 is actually not bad as long as one is still making gobs of money.
Besides, each of them have carved their own niche. Nick has cornered the toddler crowd (although CN is trying to go there too); CN has got the boys 9-14 market (although Disney is trying to go there too); Disney has the girls teen market (although Nick is trying to go there too). That's just what advertisers want: a place that's a leader on specific targets, not do well on all demographics.

What's wrong with doing well on all demographics?
GeekyBlackGirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Kiriska wrote:
Dear [adultswim], AGAIN?? No love, Me.

Really though. CN and [as] have become obsolete. It's been a long time since they've done anything but act condescendingly towards their anime titles, and now fans no longer have to put up with it. So it's no surprise they're not getting the ratings. It's a mutual disinterest in the relationship. So let's break up.

Exactly. I no longer have cable anyway and I stopped watching [as] a while ago due to their removal of the best shows they have and their attitude about it. No point in complaining on the boards there over and over. Dead.
RoverTX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
Quote:

Actually, CN skews a bit younger, but #3 is actually not bad as long as one is still making gobs of money.
Besides, each of them have carved their own niche. Nick has cornered the toddler crowd (although CN is trying to go there too); CN has got the boys 9-14 market (although Disney is trying to go there too); Disney has the girls teen market (although Nick is trying to go there too). That's just what advertisers want: a place that's a leader on specific targets, not do well on all demographics.

The viewers are worthless if the advertisers aren't hitting their correct demographic group.

For example, lets say Hallmark Channel Started playing Love Hina. Now Hallmarks Channel's normal viewership is people who like watching Walker Texas Ranger and Matlock. While Love Hina may bring in the 15-20 year old range, it wont bring in the type of people their advertisers want. Ie people buying depends, 'Fun Time for up to 8 hour Pills', and fiber.
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
Kiyomaro wrote:
Quote:

The viewers are worthless if the advertisers aren't hitting their correct demographic group.

For example, lets say Hallmark Channel Started playing Love Hina. Now Hallmarks Channel's normal viewership is people who like watching Walker Texas Ranger and Matlock. While Love Hina may bring in the 15-20 year old range, it wont bring in the type of people their advertisers want. Ie people buying depends, 'Fun Time for up to 8 hour Pills', and fiber.

If I'm understanding you correctly, is this just the ego-stroking of advertisers, or if their actually something behind their method of business?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Bandai, Bandai, Bandai....why do you keep making pirating your nonsence moraly easy for me? I'd love to support Beez with Gundam 00 and Code Geass (whenver they so choose to remove thier finger from thier behinds to do so) but you not suporting me with Gundam 00 and Geass (Untill such a time) means that my money can now go to the finer things in life like the big Kenshin manga volumes, Black Jack and maybe the entire set of Digimon Zero-oh right, internatioal leage of no UKers, nm me.

Quit. whining. here. and. just. pirate. things. in. peace.

Or better yet, quit expecting an American company to obtain global licenses to products and start getting on the case of someone in your own damn country to do it.

Jeez.

And I feel like anyone who could describe JYB's rendition of Lelouch as "emotionless" is suffering from significant hearing loss. Razz
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Kiyomaro wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
Kiyomaro wrote:
Quote:

If I'm understanding you correctly, is this just the ego-stroking of advertisers, or if their actually something behind their method of business?

Advertisers sponsor shows so that they can be produced and aired. In return they want the programs to reach the correct audience for the products they are selling so the sponsoring of the program is justified. It's that simple. They have no reason to invest if they aren't getting anything out of it hence sugary cereal commercials on Nick, Fiber commercials on Hallmark and the Axe commercials on AS. I watch Bleach but I'm a teenage female and therefore not apart of the target demographic and highly unlikely to buy anything they advertise.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

I blame the fans who refuse to watch Code Geass on adult swim because it's in "Lol, English"

To be fair, it is an absolutely horrendous dub, especially by recent Bandai standards. That said, wow. Dick move, CN. As usual. I'd be insanely pissed off if I hadn't seen it all already. I seem to be one of the few that absolutely loved R2 from beginning to end.

then, they should allow people to select Japanese/w sub on TV. I remember, when i went to Hong Kong couple years ago, they have Jdrama on TV, you have the option for Cantonese or Japanese. And English movie, you can select either English or Cantonese.

SciFi finished Gundam 00 season 1 very quick. SciFi should get Code Geass too if AS doesn't want to finish it.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I tend to think it's a dubbing issue. After all, we've already been through that with Bleach on [as] once or twice before now.

And they actually do have a premiere date listed for new Code Geass. We've already seen through 40, and 41 is scheduled to air on May2. Have a look-see: http://www.adultswim.com/schedule/onair.html.

EDIT: I also don't think anyone's noticed it looks like they are going to start airing back-to-back Bleach premieres in a while (see the (p)s in the schedule and the footnote). Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if this and the listing for 41 are a mistake/oversight on the part of the schedule-maker.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
then, they should allow people to select Japanese/w sub on TV. I remember, when i went to Hong Kong couple years ago, they have Jdrama on TV, you have the option for Cantonese or Japanese. And English movie, you can select either English or Cantonese.

That utilizes some variation of the secondary audio program technology. It isn't a separate video stream. You can then shove dubtitles in the CC stream but then everyone will bitch they are dubtitles and CCs block a large portion of the screen. Then again, only a tiny fraction of the people actually want to watch it subbed and the rest just complain because they can.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
“ they have to finish them some way ”

Watch them put it on at 5 in the damn morning, then tell no one about it, just like Yu Yu Hakusho and every other show I liked. *bitter*
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Doesn't sound like much to be worried about. The fact they'll be showing two each week is a sign that they want to keep showing it. It's probably just that Bandai's fallen behind on the dub a bit.

That i believe. It's not the first time. the same with naruto. Ever since the saskue rescue arc,they were showing new epsiodes every week,so it's not susprised that we haven't seen any of the remainding epsiodes of the filler arc, but they'll show it.That much i guarantee.

but i am concerned that there's no info on the dub versions of naruto shippuden.Does anyone know anything???

Also originally 52 epsiodes of bleach was dubbed so they'll obiviously will be lagging on new dubs for that as well.

There's also the negoations with Media Blaster in order to get the remaining moribito epsiodes, and of course this cursed economy.

There's also the fact that most people have seen these epsiodes via fansubbing,so no one should be susprised they're not doing well on TV.

But all in all,i'm not concerned yet,but if this bad economy keeps going and fansubbing & illegal streaming sites aren't controlled,it will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
Doesn't sound like much to be worried about. The fact they'll be showing two each week is a sign that they want to keep showing it. It's probably just that Bandai's fallen behind on the dub a bit.

That i believe. It's not the first time. the same with naruto. Ever since the saskue rescue arc,they were showing new epsiodes every week,so it's not susprised that we haven't seen any of the remainding epsiodes of the filler arc, but they'll show it.That much i guarantee.

but i am concerned that there's no info on the dub versions of naruto shippuden.Does anyone know anything???

A number of the Naruto VAs have confirmed that work has been done on Shippuden. I see no reason to believe that the DVDs will be delayed at all, so even if it isn't aired on TV the DVDs will be bilingual. (If not, then God save us all)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Bandai, Bandai, Bandai....why do you keep making pirating your nonsence moraly easy for me? I'd love to support Beez with Gundam 00 and Code Geass (whenver they so choose to remove thier finger from thier behinds to do so) but you not suporting me with Gundam 00 and Geass (Untill such a time) means that my money can now go to the finer things in life like the big Kenshin manga volumes, Black Jack and maybe the entire set of Digimon Zero-oh right, internatioal leage of no UKers, nm me.

Quit. whining. here. and. just. pirate. things. in. peace.

Or better yet, quit expecting an American company to obtain global licenses to products and start getting on the case of someone in your own damn country to do it.

Jeez.

And I feel like anyone who could describe JYB's rendition of Lelouch as "emotionless" is suffering from significant hearing loss. Razz
Here's a damn idea, why doesn't Bandi follow fellow american company Funimation's idea and not deal with this region bullnonsence?

I can watch whatever Funimaion has on thier site. Yay them, if any shows comes over here, I may very well buy it (Especaily if it has the words "Shin" and "chan" in it, Hint, hint, Manga ent.)

Besides that, Beez is an European arm of Bandai so allowing Europe to see these episodes is litteraly 3 letters away, Bandai US to Bandai JP, Bandai JP oking Beez to Bandai US, Bandai US giving the go ahead to Beez.

But then again, these companies, in excluding me from viewing thier shows, don't want my money, so hey, there's SF4, and Persona 4, and Kenshin BIG Volume 5 and Dragon Que...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7