• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Exorbitant number of episodes on 1 disc?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
verlierer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Have you watched any anime DVDs that contained around 12 episodes per disc? What was the quality like? 'Cause most contain 4-6.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
That sounds rather suspicious. What show was it, and are you certain it wasn't a bootleg?
verlierer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
Shows like Minami-Ke, Toradora and To Aru Majutsu no Index, and they contain a sticker signifying that it has been approved by the Malaysian government or something.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
verlierer wrote:

Have you watched any anime DVDs that contained around 12 episodes per disc?

verlierer wrote:

Shows like Minami-Ke, Toradora and To Aru Majutsu no Index, and they contain a sticker signifying that it has been approved by the Malaysian government or something.

Bootleg. Very bootleg.
kilaria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
The Blu Ray versions of anime tend to have a lot more episodes per disk... (Tsubasa has at least 8 per disk, I can't remember exactly how many off the top of my head right now) But DVD's? Typically there are 3-4 episodes per disk and that's it.

The ones you have are definitely bootleg...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
For regular (i.e. non-Blu Ray) DVD releases, anything with more than 7 episodes on a single disk is almost certain to be a bootleg.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Both Sentai and Funi have been cramming 7 episodes on one disc. The first disc of Spice and Wolf has 7 and I didn't notice any reduction in quality.

Then again, I'm using a BD player to watch,so the picture is being upscaled.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Both Sentai and Funi have been cramming 7 episodes on one disc. The first disc of Spice and Wolf has 7 and I didn't notice any reduction in quality.

That should make loss of quality more noticeable. Right?
wormraper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
daedelus wrote:

That should make loss of quality more noticeable. Right?

not necessarily, most people forget that 95% of anime that is 6 discs or more per series for the singles are on single layer discs or even with special features only fill up 5-6 gigs on the disc. Funi and Sentai123 have been putting 6-7 eps on a disc with ZERO special features and Dual layer discs.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:

not necessarily, most people forget that 95% of anime that is 6 discs or more per series for the singles are on single layer discs or even with special features only fill up 5-6 gigs on the disc.

The canard about singles releases being single layer is one that I really wish I could kill once and for all. Most singles releases going back at least 5 years were dual-layer. I checked my own collection last year and the following were all dual layer singles releases:

Baccano
Black Lagoon
Captain Herlock (Geneon OVA release)
Claymore
Death Note
Ergo Proxy
Eureka Seven
Excel Saga
FLAG
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid
Ghost Slayers Ayashi
Hell Girl
Kujibiki Unbalance
Le Chevalier D'Eon
Lucky Star
Mushishi
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Noein
Planetes
Ramen Figher Miki
School Rumble
Toward The Terra
Tweeny Witches
Welcome to NHK
Witchblade
xxxHOLIC
Zegapain

I still fully expect the claim to be repeated that most singles releases were single layer. Strangely enough almost all the single layer discs for singles (that I checked) were Pioneer/Geneon releases, and they were generally known for good video quality. As for shows on dual layer discs not using much of that space, that was true for a lot of Funimation singles releases that for no good reason used very low bit-rates (and many looked awful as a result). I say no good reason because if you're spending more to author and manufacture dual-layer discs, there is no savings to be had in not using the space that you have available, and video quality can only suffer as a result.

Personally I would far prefer they use high bit-rates and more discs, but the market has spoken and quality is not the most important factor for most fans, cheaper releases is.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
verlierer wrote:

Definitely, reeks of illegal bootleg. Partially because those aren't available in any English speaking country legally that I'm aware of and mostly because no company in it's right mind would put that many episodes on a disc.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
wormraper wrote:
Funi and Sentai123 have been putting 6-7 eps on a disc with ZERO special features and Dual layer discs.

I'm not sure about Sentai's titles. But Funi's been able to cram in a boatload of special features on disks containing 6 or 7 episodes in the past and it might be due to the economy they've been toning down on the goodies. My thinpak set of Fruits Basket has 6 or 7 episodes per disk and has features such as voice actor interviews, character profiles, picture galleries, textless versions of the OP and ED and some commentary from the English dub cast of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wereknight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Actually I'm pretty sure that companies(Occasionally) do that.

I have 2 different box sets(That I'm sure are official) that have 16 episodes per. It just depends on how the company wants to make money.

So it depends on the company that released it and when(Methods change)
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
I still fully expect the claim to be repeated that most singles releases were single layer. Strangely enough almost all the single layer discs for singles were Pioneer/Geneon releases, and they were generally known for good video quality.
IIRC the original Cowboy Bebop DVDs from Bandai were single-layer. But you're right, single-layer singles are pretty much relics from the early days of DVD, 1997 - 2001 or so.

Wereknight wrote:
I have 2 different box sets(That I'm sure are official) that have 16 episodes per.
What shows are they, and which companies released them?
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
These reek of bootlegs..... I'd suggest checking out more information on the producer. If they have both chinese andenglish subs, I'd say bootleggyness is even more likely.

The only legit release I can think of with 12 or more episodes crammed onto one DVD is the SpeedRacer DVD's FHE/Lionsgate produced. Oddly, they were quick slick thanks to newly restored footage, and just a teensy bit sped up [it's unnoticeable]. Dubonly, so I don't think it could be done with other anime releases and still have quality- 7 episodes seems to be the limit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2