• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sexual Orientation of ANN Users

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is your sexual orientation?
Straight / Heterosexual
65%
 65%  [ 109 ]
Gay / Lesbian
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Bisexual
7%
 7%  [ 13 ]
Asexual
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
Pansexual
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Queer
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Curious / Unsure
5%
 5%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 167

larinon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Lol Wink. It turns out that there are relatively fewer women in math related fields, for whatever reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cenobite451

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:27 am Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
[...] It's like I don't even want to bother with it anymore. Then again, this may be a sign of depression, so who knows. Did I mention I'm pretty jaded about so many different things?

I just finished watching Bunny Drop last night, and as usual my eyes teared up at a few places. One of the times was because I was struck by the fact that I'm getting closer to an age where I may never be able to experience parenthood. This affected me more strongly that I ever suspected that it might. It's not really a driving force in my life but it's something I think about from time to time. Many women I've met in the past have said they think I'd make a good father, but I'm still waiting for one that thinks I'd make a good husband, or at least one where the feeling is mutual.

You and me both, brother. (Well, sans the just-watched-Bunny-Drop bit.) Laughing Rolling Eyes

Apropos of nothing, I wonder why polls like these never seem to reference Kinsey's work? In particular, the 0-6 "Kinsey scale" has always struck me as a good metric for gauging sexual orientation, being reasonably scientific and less prone than most systems to falling into the trap of conflating sexual orientation with other more egoistic elements of personality and self-identification.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
As other people have aluded to already I am also suprised that certain characories I.e. Asexual out/under-weigh others. This poll has also made me wiki what certain terms mean as I was unsure what defined
pansexual and I didn't realise that Queer had its own stance in sexuality - I thought it was just another phrase for gay like fag.

I am suprised that I am only 1 of 6 (as it stands) that identifies as gay/lesbian. I know there are many that have not taken the poll but I thought the representation would have been higher or at least equal to asexual. I guess this is down to having only a few openly asexual acquaintances.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm straight, and I have nothing against same-sex marriage (I voted to have that pass in my states, BTW).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I'm straight, and I have nothing against same-sex marriage (I voted to have that pass in my states, BTW).

We hear a lot of negativity so this is very pleasing. I'm happy to hear you (and many others) are open minded. People are all human beings after all Very Happy
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Sexual orientation describes an enduring pattern of attraction—emotional, romantic, sexual, or some combination of these—to the opposite sex, the same sex, or both sexes, and the genders that accompany them

What exactly is the difference between "emotional" and "romantic" attraction?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ignatz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'm heterosexual. Boring, isn't it?

Can someone explain why people use the word "straight" when referring to heterosexuals? I know it's very common, but I never quite understood where that word came from. Confused
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Because homosexuals were been referred to as bent and straight is the opposite.

Straight could be short for the phrase "Straight and Narrow" and obviously gays back in the day where not "normal" or "straight and narrow". Again leading to the phrase bent (being the opposite to straight).
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911 wrote:
Past wrote:
Sexual orientation describes an enduring pattern of attraction—emotional, romantic, sexual, or some combination of these—to the opposite sex, the same sex, or both sexes, and the genders that accompany them

What exactly is the difference between "emotional" and "romantic" attraction?
Since it's not my definition, I must assume the difference implies that there are varying levels and reasons for being intimately involved with another person. An emotional attraction I guess has more to do with feeling attached to a person for reasons that can't be explained. And a romantic attraction has more to do with idealistic characteristics of developing a relationship. I think many relationships start out as romantic then they become emotional as you develop a true bond with that person.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
It is a relatively obscure orientation in the general population, but I suspect very strongly that anime fans are note a representative sample of the general population. Liking anime is an outsider interest and I imagine that various 'outsider' traits tend to cluster in people and asexuality is such a trait. Having a higher proportion of self-identified asexuals than of homosexuals does seem remarkable, but in a way, asexuals are the ultimate outsiders as they are removed from a major category of human behavior that most people assume is universal and that homosexual still practice, just in a different manner than heterosexuals. I imagine that the further one gets from the mainstream, the more asexuals you'll find. It's likely a weak correlation, but it feels intuitively plausible.

Simple: fans of fiction (books, films, etc) tend to be more introverted people than the general population. Especially fans of cult stuff such as non-English language films, books (if from an English speaking country), etc, tend to be particularly introverted. Introverted males tend to have much more difficulty finding girlfriends than extroverted males. Thus many give up and just assume they are asexual though they may be actually heterosexual people that "failed" in finding a sexual partner. I think it's debatable that there are a significant number of people that are biologically asexual.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
I'm a girl and voted "Heterosexual" though considered leaning for "Curious" for a while. I've had zero sexual experience in my life (no, I'm not saving myself for marriage) but I'm honestly pretty open in that aspect. I wouldn't mind sleeping with another woman if I found her attractive -and there are plenty of women I consider so-. Still I voted Heterosexual since I don't see myself having any sort of long term relationship with a woman and all of my romantic interests so far have always been men (2D and 3D)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote
I'm a guy and voted heterosexual. I have nothing against bisexual and homosexual people, nor do I support any oppression of those people because of who they are and aren't attracted to. As far as I see it I'm simply sexually attracted to females as that's just how I'm clearly wired. It's not a concious decision I made one day, it is just what it is, and I don't think it's any different for people that are gay/bi.

Quote:
(2D and 3D)

Wait, what?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I'm a guy and voted heterosexual. I have nothing against bisexual and homosexual people, nor do I support any oppression of those people because of who they are and aren't attracted to. As far as I see it I'm simply sexually attracted to females as that's just how I'm clearly wired. It's not a concious decision I made one day, it is just what it is, and I don't think it's any different for people that are gay/bi.
Something has me wondering, why doesn't there seem to ever be any comments from people who do have an issue with non-straightness? Do they think they're going to get pounced on by everyone else? There has to be at least a few ANN forum users who believe things like "my God says homosexuality is not ok," or something like that. I think it would be interesting to talk about their views once and a while (and politely say that they are wrong of course).

Quote:
(2D and 3D)
Wait, what?
You know like anime characters and RL people. Some people actually have 2 different sexual orientations, depending if they're talking about 2D or 3D.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
im straight myself

Quote:
Something has me wondering, why doesn't there seem to ever be any comments from people who do have an issue with non-straightness? Do they think they're going to get pounced on by everyone else? There has to be at least a few ANN forum users who believe things like "my God says homosexuality is not ok," or something like that. I think it would be interesting to talk about their views once and a while (and politely say that they are wrong of course).

lol of course theyd be "pounced on"
- but fine i'll start it off because im weird like that, i just get annoyed at all the "bi" girls these days (though it can be hot lol) i think most of them do it for attention or because its "cool", and i dont understand why in their head (especially the straight ones) they think its "fun" to make out with a girl drunkingly but not a guy even though they lean towards men..... maybe because they know it wont go further than that or like i said because its "cool" i dunno it confuses me......
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Having a wider selection of potential sexual partners is always cool. Cool

So yeah, in a way, being bisexual is cooler than being heterosexual or homosexual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4