• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 18-Meter Gundam to Rise at Tokyo's Odaiba Island in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
OMG...............I WANA GO!
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
Are you ignoring the thematic arc of newtypes and man's rebirth in Gundam? Or just trolling?

Say what? How am I supposed to know what their point is in the first place if they are going to make it so obscure? As in, how does one get "the thematic arc of newtypes and man's rebirth in Gundam" out of viewing that picture? What does that sentence even mean? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that they could have gotten their point across better if they hadn't used a naked toddler. There's just no need for it. Also, this is the thirtieth anniversary of the franchise; why signal a "rebirth" at all, especially considering there is no new series coming out this year (besides the ongoing Gundam 00)?

And don't imply that I'm trolling when you yourself are baiting with such a short and ill-conceived post.

Look dude, I think you're proving that you know very little about Gundam, its story, and its thrust... maybe that's why you're missing out on the symbolism. I couldn't see how my comments could have been mis-construed as 'ill-conceived' by anyone who's ever taken an art history course, studied structuralism, or read an intro to anthropology text.

"What does that sentence even mean?"

Well, a lot of things.

It REFERENCES the thematic arc and underlying gestalt of the series... a big part of which IS rebirth... and guess what? There were babies in the original. Nudity is part of being born, and also synonymous with being vulnerable. Marketing inferences aside (there is new Gundam coming out, I dare say that you'll see a lot of projects soon), the big picture is a bit more striking than "LOL BABY ARSE!"
Gouf Kai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Say what? How am I supposed to know what their point is in the first place if they are going to make it so obscure? As in, how does one get "the thematic arc of newtypes and man's rebirth in Gundam" out of viewing that picture? What does that sentence even mean? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that they could have gotten their point across better if they hadn't used a naked toddler. There's just no need for it. Also, this is the thirtieth anniversary of the franchise; why signal a "rebirth" at all, especially considering there is no new series coming out this year (besides the ongoing Gundam 00)?

Hum...sounds like trolling to me.Razz

lheiskell wrote:
Gun...damn

Was your intention to mock the franchise with a lame pun? If so, you did it right. Poor man knows nothing about good anime... Razz
TheAngryOtaku

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
The article doesn't mention it, but according to Green Tokyo the Gundam is up on July 11 and the last day is Aug. 31.

Shiokaze park is off the Yurikamome line's Daiba station, in case anyone has plans to check it out.
toru

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hot damn is that sexy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3