• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Other Zenki Staff Questions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Case

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:32 pm Reply with quote
1) Ryota Yamaguchi is credited twice on the DVDs: Once for Series Structure in the opening credits, and once for Screenplay.

Could that possibly be the same job, just called two different things? And should I enter both into the Encyclopedia, or just one?

2) Noriyuki Shouchiku is credited with doing Principal Drawing. The Encyclopedia already has an entry for a name named Noriyuki Shochiku, a Key Animator on the second Ranma movie.

A spelling mistake is likely, but I don't really know for sure and I don't want to just guess. Anyone know if they are the same person?

3) Anime Works spells one of the seiyuu's names as Kazuya Ichijo. That name is in the Encyclopedia, but so Kazuya Ichijou.

I entered the latter, because that is how it appears in the credits. Could these two people actually be the same man, though?

4) Anime Works' DVDs credit three people as working on "Opening Animation" and one on "Ending Animation" without specifying who did specific tasks like Ink & Paint or whatnot.

Should I omit these from my entries, since I don't know the specifics?

5) When we enter precision information about which episodes a cast member appears in, do you want us to only go by episodes their character speaks in?

That's how I've done it, but I just thought I'd check.

Thanks in advance.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:09 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:
1) Ryota Yamaguchi is credited twice on the DVDs: Once for Series Structure in the opening credits, and once for Screenplay.

Make two different entries (one for each credit)

sailormech wrote:
2) Noriyuki Shouchiku is credited with doing Principal Drawing. The Encyclopedia already has an entry for a name named Noriyuki Shochiku, a Key Animator on the second Ranma movie.

3) Anime Works spells one of the seiyuu's names as Kazuya Ichijo. That name is in the Encyclopedia, but so Kazuya Ichijou.

It's the same person. Unfortunately, we haven't reached a consensus on how to address different Romanized spellings of Japanese names. Any ideas?

sailormech wrote:
4) Anime Works' DVDs credit three people as working on "Opening Animation" and one on "Ending Animation" without specifying who did specific tasks like Ink & Paint or whatnot.

List the names with tasks "Opening Animation" and "Ending Animation." It may be possible to find more specific credits later, but the entries can always be edited.

sailormech wrote:
5) When we enter precision information about which episodes a cast member appears in, do you want us to only go by episodes their character speaks in?

Yes; because it's animation, the voice actors are only present when their characters have speaking roles.

sailormech wrote:
Thanks in advance.

No problem. If anything else is unclear, don't hesitate to ask!
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
sailormech wrote:

Miagi wrote:
It's the same person. Unfortunately, we haven't reached a consensus on how to address different Romanized spellings of Japanese names. Any ideas?

There's always a chance that Japanese names will be romanized with long vowels spelled as if they were short vowels, but I think the opposite is very unlikely. So if you have the choice between Kazuya Ichijo and Kazuya Ichijou, it would be best to go with the second one. It's not likely that a "u" was added by mistake but it's pretty likely that it would be simply omitted in the romanization.

sailormech wrote:

Miagi wrote:
List the names with tasks "Opening Animation" and "Ending Animation." It may be possible to find more specific credits later, but the entries can always be edited.

Except... I've made it "forbidden" to enter the tasks "Opening Animation" and "Closing Animation". When you try to enter one of these, you get the message You cannot use "Closing Animation", instead you should use the exact task, like "Animation" or "Ink & Paint", with "END" as precision. I thought I was being pretty smart by preventing too vague a task but I guess it doesn't work that way ~_~. I've removed the restriction so you should have no trouble adding it now. Then again, you could also check for people you want to add what they have done before. Usually it'll be obvious if they do animation or coloring or music.

sailormech wrote:

Miagi wrote:
Yes; because it's animation, the voice actors are only present when their characters have speaking roles.

That's true, but let's not go overboard on exact episode list either. If it's the villain of the day who gets killed at the end of the episode, then of course you put just one episode. If it's a character who comes back once in a while during a certain season, it makes more sense to write which season he was in than to list every exact episode. Unless you *absolutely* insist on being obssessively accurate Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I've added the people I mentioned in questions #1 and #4.

Dan42 wrote:

There's always a chance that Japanese names will be romanized with long vowels spelled as if they were short vowels, but I think the opposite is very unlikely. So if you have the choice between Kazuya Ichijo and Kazuya Ichijou, it would be best to go with the second one. It's not likely that a "u" was added by mistake but it's pretty likely that it would be simply omitted in the romanization.

So... should I enter the one name as Shouchiku and change the other to Ichijou? Or should I omit them until someone finds out for sure?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:48 am Reply with quote
If *you* don't find it out for sure, who will? Wink

Seriously though, I'd go with "Noriyuki Shouchiku" and "Kazuya Ichijou"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:

Since we know that they are the same person, they should be merged, regardless of whether or not we have agreed on the proper spelling.

I have merged them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1