• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Wes Anderson Lists Eva Among Favorite DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Congratulations, Wes Anderson!

Fantastic!
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
24, 26--same color numbers, I'm sure. I didn't even notice he'd made a mistake until I read these posts. If you want to get technical, it's more like 28 episodes (26 + 25' & 26').

I was an Evantologist for several years. I'm just happy he made the mention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, I don't think he said that number by accident... Razz

He was technically right in a way, given the reason for D&R's and EoE's existances. I haven't really viewed Eva as a religion-spawing or -inspiring vehicle, but it was nice to see that he liked the show enough to list it openly as one of his favorites and hear his own view on it. Personally, though, it would be even neater to see a Hollywood-type list an anime other than Akira or Eva as a favorite or inspiration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we watched them

we? who's the we? I don't suppose it's too much to hope this 'we' includes Gwyneth is it? Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Now if he could only put out a movie that isn't awkward and dull.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:05 am Reply with quote
Japanese cartoon, 24 episodes? Good god, that must be one of the most stupidest Hollywood comments I've heard since that Dragon Ball movie interview.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is NOT a cartoon. This series is a work of master piece Japanse animation. Also known as anime, completely diffrent than cartoons.

Also, its pretty common knowledge, but how can someone mess up an episode count if that person has seen the show. It's 26 episodes, not 24 episodes.

Will people ever understand cartoons and Japanse animation are completely diffrent? Although there is a huge diffrence, I some how doubt it.
Eric10301

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:08 am Reply with quote
EVA is THE most over rated series in Anime history.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
Eric10301 wrote:
EVA is THE most over rated series in Anime history.

Thanks for contributing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Neon Genesis Evangelion is NOT a cartoon. This series is a work of master piece Japanse animation. Also known as anime, completely diffrent than cartoons.

Um...Eva is precisely a cartoon, given the general English definition of "cartoon" as "any animated work." Just because the term may have certain negative connotations in some people's minds doesn't make it any less applicable.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Will people ever understand cartoons and Japanse animation are completely diffrent? Although there is a huge diffrence, I some how doubt it.

As someone who's known what "anime" is and that it comes from Japan since I was 8 (Almost 11 years ago? Already?), I still refer to it as "cartoons" when talking to a non-anime fan =P

By the way, not surprised at all at the article. Eva is extremely mainstream.

EDIT: Also,

Quote:
Also, its pretty common knowledge, but how can someone mess up an episode count if that person has seen the show. It's 26 episodes, not 24 episodes.

I'm constantly forgetting episode counts, especially since 24 episodes has become pretty standard for a season length and it used to be 26. Not that big a deal and in no way invalidates anything he said.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Japanese cartoon, 24 episodes? Good god, that must be one of the most stupidest Hollywood comments I've heard since that Dragon Ball movie interview.

You know know, I wanted to think that you were satirizing the "anime vs. cartoons" debate, but I'm forced to believe that you're being serious. Didn't AnswerMan just write about this?

To Terriyaki Terrier and others:

I don't want to see any further flamewars about the status of NGE as a "Japanese cartoon." While its status as a "Masterpiece" may be debatable, its status as a piece of animated programming originating in Japan is not. Drop the subject, or don't count on your posts remaining in this thread.

As a sidenote, I find it sad how much attention the 24 vs. 26 episode thing is getting. I can't help but imagine that 10 years ago, anime fandom in general would've been thrilled to hear a Hollywood director openly say he liked a specific anime. Now it's "omg what an idiot I can't believe he was off by two whole episodes!"
Arcwave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
I told MTV that I watched Eva and they published it correctly. I don't know what Anderson was trying to say... 24 episodes? Haha!
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
Here are my thoughts on this:
  • Anyone can mess up an episode count.
  • Anime indeed falls into the category of "cartoons".
  • Evangelion is overrated.
Other than that, I'm glad to see more people are enjoying anime.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Insert jokes about how Anderson and Anno both have egotistical styles of directing here. Rolling Eyes Anyway, at least ADV has an excuse to release a new set now. Wink But I can't believe he stole my Evantologist analogy, the jerk. Razz So, moving on, since people recognize it that much, let's elect Bill Murray for Gendou in the LA movie. Laughing
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
from that same website. James Gray list Tokyo Story on one of his top 5

Quote:
Japanese director Yasujiro Ozu’s magnificent picture about how we disrespect our elders. So moving it becomes almost unbearable; a transcendent experience.

And other guy has Seven Samurai on top 5.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5