• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Wes Anderson Lists Eva Among Favorite DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 am Reply with quote
Zalis:
Quote:
I can't help but imagine that 10 years ago, anime fandom in general would've been thrilled to hear a Hollywood director openly say he liked a specific anime.

What's really excellent about this story is that Anderson's films appeals to the hipster crowd, not the geek fanboy crowd. So when you think about it, anime's not just mainstream here right now, it's officially high-brow art, too.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Japanese cartoon, 24 episodes? Good god, that must be one of the most stupidest Hollywood comments I've heard since that Dragon Ball movie interview.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is NOT a cartoon. This series is a work of master piece Japanse animation. Also known as anime, completely diffrent than cartoons.

Also, its pretty common knowledge, but how can someone mess up an episode count if that person has seen the show. It's 26 episodes, not 24 episodes.

Will people ever understand cartoons and Japanse animation are completely diffrent? Although there is a huge diffrence, I some how doubt it.
You know know, I wanted to think that you were satirizing the "anime vs. cartoons" debate, but I'm forced to believe that you're being serious. Didn't AnswerMan just write about this?

To Terriyaki Terrier and others:

I don't want to see any further flamewars about the status of NGE as a "Japanese cartoon." While its status as a "Masterpiece" may be debatable, its status as a piece of animated programming originating in Japan is not. Drop the subject, or don't count on your posts remaining in this thread.

As a sidenote, I find it sad how much attention the 24 vs. 26 episode thing is getting. I can't help but imagine that 10 years ago, anime fandom in general would've been thrilled to hear a Hollywood director openly say he liked a specific anime. Now it's "omg what an idiot I can't believe he was off by two whole episodes!"

Indeed, anime fans are starting to fall down the path of turning into Star Trek nerds. Just like in that episode of South Park when 2 nerds were fighting over how many episodes Star Trek had... srsly get a grip people Rolling Eyes ...
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
hara wrote:
I thought a movie director could find better words to appropriately praise a work he admires because what he said wouldn't make me want to watch that series (if I hadn't already done so).

I would advocate we cut him some slack here (and in other areas of his comments). It's likely what he said is... well, what he said. Few are the people who can orate well without some preparation. And even if he wrote what appears here, he probably spent about a minute composing that blurb before moving on to something else.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
hara wrote:
I thought a movie director could find better words to appropriately praise a work he admires because what he said wouldn't make me want to watch that series (if I hadn't already done so).

I would advocate we cut him some slack here (and in other areas of his comments). It's likely what he said is... well, what he said. Few are the people who can orate well without some preparation. And even if he wrote what appears here, he probably spent about a minute composing that blurb before moving on to something else.

Exactly. A lot of anime sound weird when described to non-fans, and Eva is definitely no exception. For examples:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BetterThanItSoundsAnime
melonbread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'd rather Evangelion didn't create something like Scientology to be perfectly honest, and anyone who can make a joke about such a seriously messed up organisation like Scientology is very misinformed!
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
This is so cool, especially considering that the Royal Tenenbaums and Rushmore were both really good movies. Mr. Anderson, you've got good taste.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Exactly. A lot of anime sound weird when described to non-fans, and Eva is definitely no exception. For examples:

If I were inclined to quantify awesomeness, I would unhesitantly assign to that link a significant amount of it, especially for this:
Quote:
spoiler[Five Centimeters Per Second]: A lonely man avoids calling his girlfriend.

Being able to laugh at what one loves is truely part of the fandom...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BetterThanItSoundsAnime

Nice link, I hadn't seen that page. Trying to guess the titles from the description is making a pretty fun game.
Got Akira, Aria, Hetalia, Bartender and CCS so far. Very Happy
malik_chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
WHY IS THIS NEWS? Who cares if he's famous, what he likes isn't that important, is it?

NEWS FLASH: My favorite couple in anime are Eureka and Renton from Eureka Seven. I wonder how many you care enough for this to make it the highlight of your day?
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
WHY IS THIS NEWS? Who cares if he's famous, what he likes isn't that important, is it?

NEWS FLASH: My favorite couple in anime are Eureka and Renton from Eureka Seven. I wonder how many you care enough for this to make it the highlight of your day?

He writes and directs feature films that have won international awards. That's why the fact that his 5 favorite works include an anime is news---as opposed to someone who hasn't written and directed award-winning feature films.
nagato316

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Worm wrote:
Quote:
we watched them

we? who's the we? I don't suppose it's too much to hope this 'we' includes Gwyneth is it? Laughing

If this were true, next thing you know we might be hearing that Gwyn's the front runner to be cast as Ritsuko in that live-action EVA movie!

BTW, Mr. Greenfield and ADV Films, how's that been goin' lately? Anyone? Anyone? Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Eric10301 wrote:
EVA is THE most over rated series in Anime history.

My thoughts exactly. I just can't understand how everybody can say that it is a great show. In reality it just looks...painful. I can only imagine what's going to happen when they try to make the live action movie. I shudder at the thought.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty neat, I guess. I haven't seen any of his movies, but it's always good to see anime, and Evangelion in particular, getting its well-deserved acknowledgement as a form of cinematic art.
One director whose opinion on the series I would REALLY like to know is Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko). On my list of potential candidates to direct the live-action films, he's definitely in the top 5.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
fighter: I hate Eva, too. But I guess it's still better than those effing sitcom CG movies from Pixworks.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Eric10301 wrote:
EVA is THE most over rated series in Anime history.

My thoughts exactly. I just can't understand how everybody can say that it is a great show. In reality it just looks...painful. I can only imagine what's going to happen when they try to make the live action movie. I shudder at the thought.

I disagree, in my opinion, eva is the most original well-thoughtout anime I have ever seen, it has so much symbolism and structure that hell, even the OP has much more of a story line then most 24-episode anime... but I guess everyone has there tastes, (even if they are wrong) I still respect your opinion... Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5