• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Wes Anderson Lists Eva Among Favorite DVDs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
"HUHR DUHR EVANGELION IS OVERRATED, AMICOOL YET?"

Can we get moderators here?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
xia83

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime fans...
We're everywhere.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
sailor: It's only original if you haven't seen Akira, Guyver, or Patlabor.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
Eric10301 wrote:
EVA is THE most over rated series in Anime history.

My thoughts exactly. I just can't understand how everybody can say that it is a great show. In reality it just looks...painful. I can only imagine what's going to happen when they try to make the live action movie. I shudder at the thought.

I disagree, in my opinion, eva is the most original well-thoughtout anime I have ever seen, it has so much symbolism and structure that hell, even the OP has much more of a story line then most 24-episode anime... but I guess everyone has there tastes, (even if they are wrong) I still respect your opinion... :lol:

I too disagree. EVA is the most well thought anime I've ever seen in all my eight years of wathching anime. The series is entirely original and well worth being called a masterpiece. Everyone has their own opinions and tastes (even if they are completely off base), but I still respect others opinions. Enjoying anime to the fullest wouldn't be as fun if I didn't.
darthbalmung

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
First, wanting to believe in NGE is scary, there is nothing even remotely cheerful about it.

Second, NGE really is overrated, it started out all right but it just ended so badly no matter which ending you go with. Not to mention that all of the Christian symbols were just to make it look cool.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote
darthbalmung wrote:
Not to mention that all of the Christian symbols were just to make it look cool.

Very insightful, but somewhat short of the whole picture. Kazuya Tsurumaki's statements that Gainax staff chose Christian symbolism specifically for Neon Genesis Evangelion merely means that there isn't any Christian meaning to them, not that there isn't any meaning.

I wish people would stop repeating his statements as if they dissolve any of the significant detail put into the scenes and the imagery used to convey the director's messages. It smacks of the usual "to cool for school" Evangelion detractor attitude, the so-called opinions of people with no real arguments of their own.

I would agree that Evangelion is not something I wished was real, though. I imagine it would be frightening to live in that world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
sailor: It's only original if you haven't seen Akira, Guyver, or Patlabor.

Oh I've seen Akira and I loved it, and I checked out the First OVA of Guyver a few years ago, before I watched EVA though Guyver really didn't grab my attention like EVA did, (thats why I stopped at the first OVA series) and I still don't understand how you could compare Guyver to EVA at all, the plot is not similar at all... Your just grouping all mecha/fighting shows into one, "Oh if you haven't seen this show then this other show isn't even considered original at all!" What a stupid remark... You can maybe compare EVA to Akira but in terms of what? The human psyche? Is that all?... now I haven't seen Patlabor so I don't really know... but from what your saying is that If I haven't seen Patlabor that its not original? Though I've just went on Wikipedia to find out what the plot is about and let me tell you something...

It's no Neon Genesis Evangelion Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
sean:
Quote:
and I still don't understand how you could compare Guyver to EVA at all, the plot is not similar at all...

Except for the breastplates which shoot fire and the robot getting out of control when the kid gets knocked out, sure. Razz

Quote:
You can maybe compare EVA to Akira but in terms of what? The human psyche?

Kid blowing up everyone, because he's angry, girl who gets sucked up in an organic mass, scientists to be blamed for the earth being destroyed, etc.

Quote:
now I haven't seen Patlabor so I don't really know... but from what your saying is that If I haven't seen Patlabor that its not original? Though I've just went on Wikipedia to find out what the plot is about and let me tell you something...It's no Neon Genesis Evangelion

Check out the first movie before saying that.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Now if he could only put out a movie that isn't awkward and dull.

Thanks.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
GATSU: archetypes predate recorded history; if you mean to suggest that originality, being the conception of ideas never thought before, is a reasonable goal for any modern artist then I can't even imagine how disappointed you will be for the rest of your life, lol.

If you mean original in that there is something that is progression of old ideas however, you're giving Eva the short end of the stick. You've probably heard until your ears bled by now how revolutionary and blah blah it was for it's time, so it's odd that you'd go out of your way to say otherwise. I do recall hearing about a show that Eva ripped off, but even in that case it's back to a question of what was done with the content and not how new the content is.

A lot of excellent shows are in terms of content blatantly unoriginal: directors like Miyazaki, Oshii, and Kon cover a lot of common ground within their personal and external spheres of work; yet despite being repetitive in some ways they are at the top of the anime food chain insofar as most people are concerned. Perhaps it's the refinement of good ideas into great ones that gives so much to their works?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:38 am Reply with quote
del:
Quote:
You've probably heard until your ears bled by now how revolutionary and blah blah it was for it's time, so it's odd that you'd go out of your way to say otherwise.

It's not odd to say it, because it wasn't revolutionary. Anno's the Tarantino of anime; he just picks and chooses ideas he's seen on tv and home video, and pretends he came up with them on his own.

Quote:
directors like Miyazaki, Oshii, and Kon cover a lot of common ground within their personal and external spheres of work; yet despite being repetitive in some ways they are at the top of the anime food chain insofar as most people are concerned.

That's because those directors have a sense of purpose to their work.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
That's fine, but unless you want to demonstrate that there is an actual difference between Anno's usage of ideas to his ends and the usage of ideas by Kon et al to their ends it becomes a matter of opinion as to who is more sophisticated or whatever.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Anno's the Tarantino of anime; he just picks and chooses ideas he's seen on tv and home video, and pretends he came up with them on his own.

And you get this impression from what? Evangelion seems to me like a work that is very aware of its roots. Are there other Anno-directed works you want to point to?

Come to think of it, Tarantino doesn't really present his works as complete originals, either. But Tarantino's works don't have the vision that Anno's do. Tarantino merely rearranges pop culture. Anno uses time honored tropes and composes them in a fashion that reveals his personal perspective.

Not to say that this "vision" is any great thing- we're talking giant robot cartoons with a little insight on modern society, mostly. But I don't think he presents them any other way.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Now if he could only put out a movie that isn't awkward and dull.

penguintruth wrote:
Eric10301 wrote:
EVA is THE most over rated series in Anime history.

Thanks for contributing.

My god, the irony is absolutely f**king mindblowing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:38 am Reply with quote
I was waiting until you pointed that out, Zac.

But the difference is, hating Wes Anderson movies isn't some tired internet meme, and I can actually support my arguments about his movies if prodded.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5