• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
His and Her Circumstances (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msi435

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:37 pm Reply with quote

His and Her Circumstances (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance
Themes: high school, school

Plot Summary: Yukino Miyazawa is really, really vain, and loves to hear people praise her. She's always been the best at everything, and always tries to look perfect. But when Yukino goes to high school, she's finally upstaged--by Souichiro Arima, who scores better on the entrance exams and instantly snatches the attention of the class. By accident, Arima finds out that Yukino is just pretending, and this starts off a series of events that lead to Yukino and Arima falling in love. They then have to cope with a lot of obstacles in their relationship.
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

I just finished it and WHERE IS THE CLOSURE!!!!! MY LORD!!!! I don't know what to do.... zero closure ZERO!!!! Help me hahahah!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!!! I loved the series I really did but could they have ended it with some from of an ending... they did this on purpose I know it!!! Damn gainax damn ANO!!!!! I know this is not really a good thread but damn i don't know what to say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Get a grip. We've all been through this (well, those of us who've seen KareKano, anyway).

It's not the first time we've had an otherwise good anime peter out on us, and it won't be the last (*cough* Gantz *cough*). However, there's always recourse: go read the manga.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:13 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Damn gainax damn ANO!!!!!

If I remember right, the original manga-ka was extremely displeased with how the show was progressing and somehow blocked further production. Or something like that; my memory's fuzzy on the whole situation.

If it's true, then this wouldn't necessarily be all Gainax's & Anno's faults.

msi435 wrote:
I know this is not really a good thread but damn i don't know what to say.

Well...for starters you could try re-wording it competently. That way this could've turned into a legitimate discussion on the merits of KareKano's ending, as opposed to a hissy-fit about it.

abunai wrote:
However, there's always recourse: go read the manga.

How is the manga, by the way? I've been interested in checking it out for a while now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How is the manga, by the way? I've been interested in checking it out for a while now.

Exellent. My personal favorite work of shojo, and better than the anime.
Quote:
It's not the first time we've had an otherwise good anime peter out on us, and it won't be the last (*cough* Gantz *cough*). However, there's always recourse: go read the manga.

So Gantz when down the drain in terms of quality? I watched one episode and didn't bother to see the rest, as I was (and still am) reading the exellent manga. Exacally what point did it end at?
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:25 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
msi435 wrote:
Damn gainax damn ANO!!!!!

If I remember right, the original manga-ka was extremely displeased with how the show was progressing and somehow blocked further production. Or something like that; my memory's fuzzy on the whole situation.

If it's true, then this wouldn't necessarily be all Gainax's & Anno's faults.

To be a bit more specific, Masami Tsuda, the manga author, was unhappy that Gainax emphasized comedy over romance and pulled the plug on the anime.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:26 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:

Exellent. My personal favorite work of shojo, and better than the anime.

Yes, it's one of my favourite shoujo manga (along with Salad Days, Kodomo no omocha and Please Save My Earth).

Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:

So Gantz when down the drain in terms of quality? I watched one episode and didn't bother to see the rest, as I was (and still am) reading the exellent manga. Exacally what point did it end at?

They pulled a Hellsing on us. Mad The anime was following the (excellent) manga right up to the Buddha mission. Then it looks as if they realised that the series wasn't going to be renewed, and decided to write in a new (and lousy) closing mission. That's about the last five episodes of the series, and it is sloppy, second-rate work.

In terms of quality, the second series featured poorer animation and storytelling than the first, so I suppose I should have seen this coming. Sad

And I never got to see the Old Man - one of my favourite characters from the manga. Crying or Very sad

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
To be a bit more specific, Masami Tsuda, the manga author, was unhappy that Gainax emphasized comedy over romance and pulled the plug on the anime.

Not only that, but their broadcaster got all upset when Anno said that he wanted to write his own ending to the series, although I can't see why. Anno got pissed and left, and the guy who did FLCL (forget his name...) filled in for him until money ran out. One of the many reasons that Anno just sticks to the live-action films now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It seems as though Anno dose this whole no closure thing a lot just like in Eva. The guy sets up some of the most amazing series, but I guess he gets lazy or something, even in his and her circumstances the animation towards the end wasn’t even fluid it was just stills most the time. I can see why he got death threats in Japan for the ending of Eva; he may have done this just to piss everyone off. But I will probably look into the manga, because I really do love the story, thank you for your support in my time of need. *sob*
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quote
He doesn't get lazy. There were lots of factors, be they stylistic choices, money concerns, or pressure from broadcastors, that led to Evangelion and His and Her Circumstances ending the way that they did. And personally, I loved the use of stills in Kare Kano - the episode where they show how her parents met reminded me a lot of La Jetee. What's next, complaining that Chris Marker is lazy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
He doesn't get lazy. There were lots of factors, be they stylistic choices, money concerns, or pressure from broadcastors, that led to Evangelion and His and Her Circumstances ending the way that they did. And personally, I loved the use of stills in Kare Kano - the episode where they show how her parents met reminded me a lot of La Jetee. What's next, complaining that Chris Marker is lazy?

Well I say this only from a viewer’s perspective, I don't know about stylistic choices, money concerns, or pressure from broadcasters. I am just a viewer and this is what I see, and to me it's looks kind of lazy.
Diedrupo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Gantz is awesome up til ep 22, in which the animators decided to end the entire series (without the possibility of a 3rd season) by introducing an original story arc. Well, I guess I shouldn't mention any more :P
jfrog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
Well I say this only from a viewer?s perspective, I don't know about stylistic choices, money concerns, or pressure from broadcasters. I am just a viewer and this is what I see, and to me it's looks kind of lazy.

You still shouldn't make judgements like that without knowing the background. Anno wanted to write an ending to His and Her Circumstances but wasn't allowed to, and the original scripts for the final two episodes of Evangelion were rejected by the TV station the show was on. That's not laziness. Directors aren't gods, people are too quick to praise them for anything good about a film (even if they weren't the one responsible) and too quick to blame them for anything bad about a film (even if it wasn't their fault).

If I just made pronouncements based on what I see as a viewer, disregarding whatever the people who made it were forced to go through, then I'd be going around criticizing Orson Welles for being really sloppy in the editing of The Magnificent Ambroses, even though everyone who saw the film before RKO gang-raped it agrees that it was a masterpiece.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
msi435 wrote:
jfrog wrote:

Well I say this only from a viewer’s perspective, I don't know about stylistic choices, money concerns, or pressure from broadcasters. I am just a viewer and this is what I see, and to me it's looks kind of lazy.

Now that's a lazy viewer. There are more factor in creating an anime than what you're assuming.
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:50 pm Reply with quote
haha well it looks like i got shot down
deathbringer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:16 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
However, there's always recourse: go read the manga.

I advise against this. I think the manga should have ended where the anime ended. The manga just went downhill after that, and I just stopped reading it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7