• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Shakugan no Shana 2 to December

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Wow, Shana2 isn't even out in NA yet? Or is this a re-release? Because Shana S2 was like ... 3 years ago now, wasn't it?

The closure of Geneon USA followed by the merger of Geneon Japan into Universal caused a massive logjam on a lot of titles that is only now starting to clear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Shakugan no Shana 2 went from never being done, to being delayed three months. I can live with that.

And yet conversely, Amazon is saying that Strike Witches 2 is moving up three-months from January to October. Still, the way BD reverse importation blocks are going, better later than unannounced.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
solarsun wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Master Luc wrote:
Why did they change the cast?

Because dubbing roughly 50 TV episodes, 4 OVAs, and a feature-length movie would cost FUNi an arm and a leg if they paid Ocean Group to do it.

This has, however, brought out worries that FUNi might try to dub Roberta's Blood Trail in-house too. And THAT would NOT be cool. Evil or Very Mad

They recast most of the Trigun main cast for the movie even though there was a lot of positive feedback when it came to the original triguns dub. The only person that they brought back was Johnny and I'm pretty sure there would have been a big old fan storm if Johnny didn't repraise his role as vash. That really pissed me off. I even read that they were contacted by the original Meryl and wolfwood at least and were in talks when funimation contacted them and told them it was already done.

This is true, but also look at stuff like the Evangelion movies where they brought in some of the talent from the original cast.

However, the situation is a bit different with Shana. The reason being is that Ocean Group is a Canadian studio. So even if they wanted to get the original cast to reprise their roles, it would be expensive for FUNi to outsource the recording.

Given most of the work Ocean does now are for kids shows that are mostly kids shows never released in North America, I kind of suspect they aren't exactly going to cost a fortune.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And in the mean time, there has yet to be any news on which characters the new voice cast will be playing.

What we do know is that the Blu-ray will be the same upscale as the Japanese release just like with season 1 (as seen here).

And now we can add that the Shana OVA, that was originally released here with season 1, is now missing in FUNi's new set.

Source!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Damn, I understand why this is being re-dubbed, but I'll miss St.Germain's Shana...

Agreed; I thought she made an excellent Shana, and of the names mentioned in the linked video, I'm a little concerned about who they're going to use for the role. It's definitely going to be a different vocal style and interpretation no matter who it is, as Tabitha's was very distinctive. Most of the names mentioned are actresses whose work I've respected in other roles, so I suppose I have to give Funi the benefit of the doubt (and they do rarely stumble majorly on casting), but still. . .

Oh, and add Paul Dobson to the list of roles that will be hard to replace. He was a great Alastor. OTOH, Kristian Ayre, while he did a good job as Yuji, had a more generic sound, so he'll be more easily replaceable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, really. I mean I really love Rie Kugimiya so if I hate the dub here I guess I could watch it that way but it feels terrible that I've been waiting for the dub for so long and forsaking watching the subbed version of this only to find out they recast people this late into it.

Do I understand it? Yes, yes.. but it's still incredibly annoying. I am more than a little disappointed to hear this and it seems like this wasn't really announced before...

I did buy the Shana BD set, so I guess if this is a redub (sounds like it's not though) I'll probably want to watch it when it comes in so I can get used to the new dubbing cast. Perhaps I'll like some things better, but I will really miss the Shana that was there as she was definitely my favorite in that series, followed by Alastor.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
I just got into season one and the dub is pretty good and it has been a long time since I heard from the crew from Ocean Studios since Death Note and yeah, the news that the rest of the Shakugan no Shana seasons will have to recast everybody will be a huge bother and shame for me but I guess I have to get use to it but hey, at least Funimation tried but maybe the upcoming Black Lagoon OVA series "Roberta's Blood Trail" will get the original English voice cast for that instead.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it due to this, as I think this was a pretty popular show also. I haven't seriously watched Black Lagoon even though I do have the first season of it. It's on my backlog, and I'll probably wait to find out what Funi's done now that they've proved themselves to be somewhat disloyal to the fans rather than getting into something and then getting irritated about it.

It would do a whole lot more for me if I knew they tried and failed but as it is I'm convinced they just didn't try to do this right. It won't completely make me lose loyalty to them, but it is a mark against them.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
@ Xanas

Hopefully, if the season two box sets have audio commentaries, I would like to hear from them if they at least managed to try to make a deal with Ocean Studios to get the original English voice actors to come back to reprise their roles but some unfortunate circumstances got into the way that prevented them from doing so. A lot of fans will be asking them of why they didn't bring back the original voice actions so hopefully, they are prepared to answer those questions.

At least we got news that they got the original English voice actors back to voice the rest of the Hellsing Ultimate series so I shouldn't blame Funimation for trying their best at it.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
That would interest me, but I'm more frustrated with the situation itself than the "why" of it, although the why would make a difference to whether I find this a mark against them. Nevertheless, it's not enough for me to think they suck, it's just annoying and I feel stupid for waiting on a continuation of a dub that will never come.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:52 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Wow, Shakugan no Shana Season 2 isn't even out in NA yet?

Or is this a re-release? Because Shana S2 was like...3 years ago now, wasn't it?

This is not a re-release, and yes we know how old the show is.

aereus wrote:
I know people like continuity of actors, but what can you I guess. At least the Japanese dub doesn't change, so watch that instead Smile It has "Teh Rie" as Shana, of course. Alastor is also voiced very well.

No thank you, I have only watched Season 1, dubbed, and I loved it, so I will only watch Seasons 2 and 3 dubbed, as well as the Movies and OVAs/Specials etc.

Chagen46 wrote:
Damn, I understand why this is being re-dubbed, but I'll miss St. Germain's Shana...

Re-dubbed? If you mean Season 1, FUNimation is not dubbing or re-dubbing it etc. There will only be the old Geneon Dub.

FUNimation will be using their own voice actors to dub Seasons 2 and 3, as well as the Movies and OVAs/Specials etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3