Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell
Thread KillerThread Killer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
After finishing the ninth day in the first chapter of Higurashi, I noticed this forum didn't have one of these topics. Since I felt like saying something, I figured I might as well make one, even if it'll just get lost in the constant traffic of this forum.

Anyways, like I said I'm currently just after the ninth day and I'm still not real clear on what the mystery is. Initially I feared that being spoiled on spoiler[Rena being axe-crazy] might ruin my enjoyment of the story, but with spoiler[her going crazy-eyed] in day eight(which still got me, as did spoiler[Mion doing the same] the next day), I'm pretty sure it's not an important secret. So far the only candidates I have are "Why spoiler[Tomitaki-san]?" and "Why spoiler[Satoshi]?", though I suspect they'll end up both being part of the mystery if I'm right.

So far Higurashi's done a good job at what it's wanted to do, making me laugh out loud during the comedy and really getting my skin crawling when the the plot really started dropping. The bad art doesn't even begin to hold it back.
scottaleger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
Now I am reading "Already Gone " by John Rector .
Rukiia
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
scottaleger wrote:
Now I am reading "Already Gone " by John Rector .

Do you not realize that you are posting in an Anime/Manga forum? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nobunaga1925

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:06 am Reply with quote
Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.
EnriqueC17

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Spice & Wolf vol. 1-6. Sorry about that didn't know you had to go into detail. So I was browsing the anime titles on Netflix and I came across this title Spice & Wolf and I was like "interesting". So I checked it out I liked it especially that opener and that was it. Then I decided to look the show up and I found out that it's actually based on a series of japanese light novels of the same name written by Isuna Hasekura. I like to read up on the original work when something I like is based on something. "There no harm done".

Last edited by EnriqueC17 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
st_owly
Get off my lawn!Get off my lawn!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
Nobunaga and Enrique - One of the rules of this forum is that "Discussions must have some substance to them" Simply listing what you've read does not contribute to an intelligent discussion. Why have you been reading it? What do you like about it? How does it compare to the anime/manga/whatever? See Polycell's post for an example. I suggest you heed my advice or a mod will come and delete your posts for not following the rules.

As for me, I've been reading Spice and Wolf volume 4. I've never seen the anime, but I really like the interactions between Lawrence and Holo. I think it's a little contrived using Holo all the time to make all the problems go away, but I'm genuinely intrigued as to whether or not Holo will ever get home.
Keonyn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote
Yes, please don't just list the title. Maybe say something about why you picked it up, or how you're liking it so far. If it's a series and you've read it for awhile maybe mention how the latest books are compared to those prior. Just a sentence or two to foster some discussion is really all we ask.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hpulley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:16 am Reply with quote
I have enjoyed the Kokoro Connect anime so much that I bought the light novels and the manga adaptation too. I am loving the novels as they are more philosophical than the anime and manga which matters, given its questioning of what it is to be an individual, desires, memories, past and future selves and so on. I am reading the original Japanese text, bought from Amazon.co.jp
Ceewayne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I have just started reading Zaregoto, Book 1: The Kubikiri Cycle by Nisioisin. What I enjoy about the book is that he makes you think. Right now he has me thinking about the spoiler[Value of the individual vs. the value of the world around the individual.]

Also interesting characters as well, he has a talent for that. The only other book I read by him was the novel that tied into xxxHolic. There he brought out facets of the characters that made me see the anime slightly differently.
Jon182

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading Spice and Wolf vol.1. All I can say, is that Kagami was right, and you do get a different "flavour" reading the light novel, than you do from watching the anime. I had to re-read some parts to fully understand what they were talking about. Of course, economics has never been my favourite subject.

I've also started reading the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels. I find them to be diverting enough, but they lack a certain punch, or flair. I'm actually surprised that they were turned into an anime.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:45 am Reply with quote
Imaginary Engines: Nenkan SF Kessakusen (Year's Best SF) 2007, edited by Omori Nozomi and Kusaka Sanzo

This is the first of a yearly "best Japanese SF" anthology series. There are a few stories I really do like here, but there's also a lot of artsy stuff that is by no definition science fiction (one of the authors even said in her intro that this was the first time her work has ever been called "SF"). The best one so far for me has been a Yamamoto Hiroshi tale set in a future where it's been discovered that many humans actually lack a conscious mind. This has led to discrimination and slurs like "zombie," based largely in a gap between the popular understanding of consciousness and the far more narrow definition being used by the researchers.

Editor Omori Nozomi states in his introduction that his goal was to make a "Judith Merril-style" collection that includes a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't normally think of as SF. In his introductions of the various authors, he mentions Merril constantly. The appreciation for Merril by the Japanese SF community is well-known (after all, she did come to Japan to help translate a lot of Japanese stories into English), but something about yielding the editor's desk to the ghost of Merril rubs me the wrong way, not least because I am totally not on-board with the aims of this Merril-esque project.

This may be just me, but when I buy a book that says "SF" on the cover, I think it's reasonable to expect it to be full of science fiction and not everything else under the sun, including a bunch of incomprehensibly weird experimental stuff. I had a similar problem with the last Nebula Award collection I read. I'll finish reading this eventually; the last story is Project Itoh's "Indifference Engine" and I do want to get to that, but I can't say I'm thrilled by the thought of starting on another volume of this.

Nihon SF Zenshuu 1 (Japan SF Complete Collection 1), edited by Kusaka Sanzou.

This is an anthology surveying works by the major Japanese SF authors from the late 1950's through early 1970's, including Komatsu Sakyo, Hanmura Ryo, Yamano Koichi, Tsutsui Yasutaka (who hilariously disses his own story in his intro -- "If 100 is full marks, I'd give it a 60"), and many others. This collection is much more to my tastes so far, the standout being a tale by Hoshi Shin'ichi about a truly cruel and unusual method of execution: abandoned on Mars, you have a machine that filters moisture from the air. When you get thirsty, push the button and one of two things will happen: it will either fill your cup with water, or explode, leaving a crater the size of a house. Thirst will always drive you back to the button, even knowing that it will someday kill you. Another very good piece was Yano Tetsu's "Legend of the Wandering Knights" which, while not SF, is a very well-done ghost story, and quite moving near the end.

Last edited by vanfanel on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:49 am; edited 2 times in total
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Imaginary Engines: Nenkan SF Kessakusen (Year's Best SF) 2006, edited by Omori Nozomi and Kusaka Sanzo

Editor Omori Nozomi states in her introduction that her goal was to make a "Judith Merril-style" collection that includes a lot of stuff that most people wouldn't normally think of as SF. In her introductions of the various authors, she mentions Merril constantly.

Just for your information. Ōmori Nozomi is a male.

vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Just for your information. Ōmori Nozomi is a male.

Oops, you're right! Embarassed I went back and fixed the post. Thanks! Not the first time a name I thought feminine turned out to be male (the last time it happened was with someone named Midori); probably not the last. Smile
skaly

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'm currently reading the Haruhi Suzumiya, Spice & Wolf, and Kieli novels. There are more I would read if only they were available: Accel World, Sword Art Online, and Slayers.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
There was a sale at the local bookstore so I picked up

The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Intrigue of Haruhi Suzumiya
The Indignation of of Haruhi Suzumiya
Book Girl and the Famished Spirit
Book Girl and the Captive Fool
Book Girl and the Corrupted Angel
Book Girl and the Wayfarer's Lamentation
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 1
Puella Magi Madoka Magica 2

I already finished The Rampage of Haruhi Suzumiya and I'm almost done with The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya. I'm finding these books along with The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya to be a good read at this time, since most of the story is set around Christmas/New Years.

I also started Book Girl and the Famished Spirit on the side, but I haven't gotten past the first few pages. I had picked up Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime during the Borders closeout and enjoyed it enough to want to try out the rest in the series.

I already finished both Puella Magi Madoka Magica manga volumes. I believe volume 3 is out next week, so good timing on that too. I don't like how Kyubey is drawn in this though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4