Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Imaginary Engines: Nenkan SF Kessakusen (Year's Best SF) 2007, edited by Omori Nozomi and Kusaka Sanzo

Finally finished it, and "The Indifference Engine" -- the Project Itoh story that wrapped up the collection -- was one of the best stories in the book. It's a brutal look at war in a third world country (calling the place a "developing country" would be wildly inaccurate, as it isn't developing in the slightest), and involves an attempt to solve the war's root cause. I believe this story is out in English, so that's all I'll say about it.

Overall, the collection was a very mixed bag for me. A few goodies here and there, but all of the non-SF material was about as welcome as a vegetable placed on the plate of a picky child "because it's good for you."
Mits

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I believe this story is out in English, so that's all I'll say about it.

‘The Indifference Engine’ is included in a Sci-Fi anthology named ‘The Future is Japanese’ published from Haikasoru.
Nico87

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Just started on the first Chu2koi novel o/
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Sword Art Online volume 1. :3

Hard to put down...and I keep losing sleep.

Damn you, Reki.

lol

This is only the second light novel series I invested in, Suzumiya Haruhi being my first one.
nbahn
Anime isn't real? Nooo...Anime isn't real? Nooo...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I know that this does not quite qualify, but I am currently reading Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha. Then I shall be obliged to read up on the literary criticism of the novel! Just how does an American man develop the chutzpah to write about the world of the geisha?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
To aru majutsu no index vol. 21, trying to hurry up and get into new testament so I can stop fearing for spoilers....its at least turning out to be a fun ride!

I'll also start looking into some Durarara and Hyouka transaltions I found and eventually get into Haruhi since I can acctually buy it.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Just started on "Hyouka."
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote
...and just finished "Hyouka." That was fun. It's narrated from Oreki's first-person POV, so all the narration is in his low-key, 'energy-saving' voice. Very short at 214 pages. Oreki would probably approve of that as well.
escape_reality

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently done only Fuko's story, but I noticed the download I used is missing certains words...anyone know where I can find an english perfected version?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Just finished chapter one of Index vol. 22 (Finally!) Afterwards its onto new testament 1 and DRRR vol. 4!

I seriously need to get the Haruhi volumes I had no Idea how many were already out! Laughing
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
Just started the fourth and final (Japanese) volume of "Iriya's Sky, UFO Summer," and all I can say is the payoff had better be worth it after the bloat this series has suffered from, especially in book 3 (which had about 80 pages devoted to an eating contest and some guys goofing around by a drained swimming pool they were supposed to be cleaning).

At least the main character is acting more confident than before, even if his love interest is still a soulless moe husk. It's hard to call the guy a wimp now after that loooooong, sickening scene of him spoiler[performing surgery on himself with an exacto knife to remove an implanted tracing device.]

The one thing that's kept me going (besides the inertia of always wanting to finish stories I start) is that the author really does have a way with words, and his clever turns of phrase make this more fun than it probably should be.

If he decides to do serious (non light-novel) SF someday, I'll be all over that.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Just started the fourth and final (Japanese) volume of "Iriya's Sky, UFO Summer," ... If he decides to do serious (non light-novel) SF someday, I'll be all over that.

This may be a thing which you already know, but Akiyama Mizuhito wrote 'Ore wa Missile' (Winner of the Seiun Award for Best Japanese Short Story of the Year in 2003).
It was carried in S-F Magazine.
'Ore wa Missile' is included in 『ゼロ年代SF傑作選』 and 『コレクション 戦争×文学 イマジネーションの戦争』.

『ゼロ年代SF傑作選』
http://www.amazon.co.jp/​dp/​4150309868/​

『コレクション 戦争×文学 イマジネーションの戦争』
http://www.amazon.co.jp/​dp/​4081570051/​

vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
'Ore wa Missile' is included in...『ゼロ年代SF傑作選』

...Which is already in my backlog, actually. Awesome! I'll look forward to it.

Yeah, the first book of this series was just okay...I came to it expecting something more like a straightforward novel and less like a moe-licious shonen manga. I'd read Lodoss War, Crusher Joe, and Patlabor novels previously, but those didn't go all cartoony like this one did, which was unexpected.

I wasn't expecting much of book 2, but with expectations properly managed this time, I ended up really enjoying it. The whole thing is a "school festival episode," but it was well-written and had some genuinely funny stuff...I crack up thinking about the carts used to carry off students who collapse from exhaustion--the festival committee members called the carts Valkyrie 1, Valkyrie 2, and Valkyrie 3, while regular students just called them the "dona-dona" carts (after that old song about a colt being taken away to market).

Then came book 3, with a ton of nonsense at the beginning, and a scene at the end that actually made me queasy.

I hope the finale makes it all worth it. It seems odd to be this far into the story and still know so little about what's going on with the war/military aspect of it.

Edit: I'm also watching the OVAs as I read the story, and the adaptation is an odd bird as well. Books 1-3 are adapted in 4 episodes, with 2 episodes for the finale (which of course I haven't watched yet). Needless to say, the story is tremendously compressed, and I didn't care for eps 1-3 at all. What charm that material had was mostly in Akiyama's writing style, which doesn't translate to the screen. Oddly, episode 4 seemed to work better than the others in terms of pacing...maybe because it was based on the most bloated volume, and suffered the least from cutting things out.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:26 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
...Which is already in my backlog, actually.

Oh, I see.
Have you already read Japanese science fiction works by, to borrow Ishikawa Takashi's words, authors who belong to the First Generation?

vanfanel wrote:
If he decides to do serious (non light-novel) SF someday, I'll be all over that. ... Yeah, the first book of this series was just okay...I came to it expecting something more like a straightforward novel and less like a moe-licious shonen manga. I'd read Lodoss War, Crusher Joe, and Patlabor novels previously, but those didn't go all cartoony like this one did, which was unexpected.

Roughly speaking, light novels are small-paperback pulp fiction for teenage otaku. So if you like 'heavy' science fiction novels, when you read a light novel, it is possible that you feel it is too 'light'.

As I said in another thread, Media Works seems to plot to palm off 'less light' popular fiction on kids who outgrow light novels. w

vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:55 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
vanfanel wrote:
...Which is already in my backlog, actually.
Have you already read Japanese science fiction works by, to borrow Ishikawa Takashi's words, authors who belong to the First Generation?

I've read some short stories by several of them, some in Engish and some in Japanese. Yamano Koichi, Hirai Kazumasa, Yano Tetsu, Toyota Aritsune, Hoshi Shin'ichi, Tsutsui Yasutaka, Ohara Mariko (there may be some second generation writers mixed in). I'm planning to read more Yamano and Yano when I get a chance, since I really like what I've seen so far. Problem is getting the chance. So many books, so little time.

Quote:

Roughly speaking, light novels are small-paperback pulp fiction for teenage otaku. So if you like 'heavy' science fiction novels, when you read a light novel, it is possible that you feel it is too 'light'.

I definitely get that feeling sometimes. I'm always reading something to try to improve my Japanese, and I go back and forth between "heavy" books and "light" ones. If I only read hard stuff, I'd get frustrated and give up, but if I only read easy stuff, I'd think my reading was better than it actually was. So I try to do both for balance.

Most of the light novels I do enjoy are from the 1980s and early 1990s, predating the light novel/moe booms. I'm not even sure the term "light novel" had come into use yet at that point. In the 1980s, I think anime/manga fandom as a whole was much closer to SF & fantasy fandom than it is today, so it probably makes sense that I'm drawn more toward works from that period.

Quote:
As I said in another thread, Media Works seems to plot to palm off 'less light' popular fiction on kids who outgrow light novels. w

Ah, I remember that thread. A number of books have also been printed in two versions by the same publisher to try to become a crossover hit with mainstream fans and light novel fans. "12 Kingdoms" and "Another" (both of which I really like) both come to mind. Serious-looking covers stocked in general fiction, and illustrated covers stocked with the light novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4