• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Happinet Princess Resurrection - Hime & Flan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy Rob's found a toy to soothe his savaged soul Laughing

And may I say that the new Astro Toy banner is way cooler that new creepily bishie Answerman banner
(altho maybe less cool than Brains own toothy faced one that he stashes at the bottom of the Answerman column ... heh)
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Just for those who are interested, the Reiri figure has nice lacy black panties. Uh, or so I'm told.

Whistles and pretends he didn't check. . . repeatedly.

Good review for the Hime figure. I personally like this one better than the Good Smile one because I feel it captures her personality a bit better. While Rob wasn't too keen on the pose, I think it works perfectly since it shows she's in the middle of carnage. Elegant carnage perhaps but carnage none-the-less. I don't think the pictures really do the figure justice.

A good review overall though. Nice to see one for something that didn't make Rob want to smash his head through a window. (Though I think he's crazy for hiding Flandre away. Rob, are you truly that worried about appearances? Just let go and embrace the best robot maid ever.)

If only they'd make a figure of her sister Sherwood with Francesca and one of Riza by herself (maybe add a Hiro in somewhere? Come on, he deserves a figure for being such a good corpse.)

I swear, the only really annoying thing about collecting anime figures is they never seem to put out all the major players in the same scale by the same artist/company.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Are there anime models of similarly high quality? If so can you direct me? I'd like to get some of them but just can't justify it for what I'm seeing.

Honestly, the style of painting used on those figures would look hideous on the vast majority of anime figures - it doesn't suit anime character designs at all. That kind of shading looks fine on realistic designs, but not on the more simple, stylised look of anime.

Also, the market for war game figures and the otaku figure market are very different in terms of what the customers want. As an anime figure collector, I can say that while the ones you linked to are clearly skillfully made, and the painting is very detailed, they do not appeal to me in the slightest. In fact, the grittier looking paint jobs are exactly what puts me off buying the more realistic figures, so I'd say it's more a matter of personal taste than quality (although the figure reviewed here does look a bit on the simple side for the price).

Two of this year's particularly popular, high-end anime figures would be Saber Lily and Black Rock Shooter. They don't have the same type of shading as the figures that you linked, but there's a great deal of detail in them, and they are highly accurate to their original designs.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
That is a pretty nice looking figurine. It does look pretty simple, but I think that the details such as her face make for a good image in there. I'm glad that your buy this time was successful, compared to that Luffy one. Meh, that's probably why the banner is the way that it is. What did Dark Horse say about your last review anyway, Rob?
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
In the second photograph, the vertical beam supporting the cabinet in the background seems to be going straight into Hime's nether regions. Intentional, perchance?

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed that.

Slick figure though. Waiting for the show in the mail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:06 am Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
I know>< I love that they include the "fuga" caption bubble. Which rider do you have Enterbrain's or GSC's? Either way that's so cool>.< rider figures are always so expensive though. Alter's swimsuit one always goes for over a hundered bucks on auction sites(T.T) Do you have a blog?

It's the Enterbrain one; I had to re-watch her scenes in the anime to figure out where those hoops at the end of her chains go. Except for her panties, it's a nice figure with a great action pose--I have her on my shelf confronting a running Shana figure. And it is frustrating how Rider figures are relatively uncommon and always expensive. I don't have a blog.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@ The Human Spider:
Have you seen the Swimsuit Rider?I love how the back of her hair is braided. Do you have any Figmas?
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
GordanHam wrote:
@ The Human Spider:
Have you seen the Swimsuit Rider?I love how the back of her hair is braided. Do you have any Figmas?

Yes, I also have that one too--she's one of the tallest figures I own. I'm hoping to get the maid version too when I get enough money. Figma's are becoming one of my favorite action figure lines; while I think the stands are ugly, they're still one of the best in terms of functionality, especially when it comes to leg poseability. So far I have Saber, Rin, Konata, Ryoko(I'm also a huge Ryoko fan Very Happy ), and the school festival version of Yuki. I'd like to see more Figmas reviewed in Astro Toy, but since the basic designs are all very similar, maybe it's a case of reviewed-one-reviewed-them-all.
GordanHam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
GordanHam wrote:
@ The Human Spider:

Yes, I also have that one too--she's one of the tallest figures I own. I'm hoping to get the maid version too when I get enough money. Figma's are becoming one of my favorite action figure lines; while I think the stands are ugly, they're still one of the best in terms of functionality, especially when it comes to leg poseability. So far I have Saber, Rin, Konata, Ryoko(I'm also a huge Ryoko fan Very Happy ), and the school festival version of Yuki. I'd like to see more Figmas reviewed in Astro Toy, but since the basic designs are all very similar, maybe it's a case of reviewed-one-reviewed-them-all.

You're so lucky. The maid rider can be found for under $100, but it's super hard to find swimsuit rider for a price that low. I only have two figma's. Both of which you already have. I have Ryoko and Saber. (I'm a huge Ryoko fan too! I even have the FREEing 1/4 scale Bunny version.) Figma's have some of greateast articulation I have ever seen. They're so great. Anyways, if you check out the newest post on my blog you will see that I used my Ryoko figma. I don't mention it in the article because I was to upset, but I broke her left shoulder joint. It sucks! I wich you could order spare joints like with revoltechs. I tryed using hot, tacky, and supper glue but none worked. I think this weekend I'm going to have to get serious and insert a wire(T.T)
http://gordanham.wordpress.com
Illusionary_Systems

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah I got this verion of Hime too. Sure the GSC version is bigger and of a higher quality but this one has the superior weapon, a more interesting diorama styled base and a more intersting pose.

One other plus to this figure is that it forms part of a series along with Kamura Reiri. The GSC version just stops with Hime: Not good if you want to collect a line. Sad

Quality is good but it is not everything. I'd rather have a more interesting looking figure than one that has high production value but is boring to look at. Of course if I can have both, then that wins hands down. Anime exclamation

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe it's just the pictures, but I'd say the Good Smile Hime is far superior. My only problem is that the pair of scissors just kinda rests there unsupported, but the thing overall is gorgeous, and also comes with a little Flan nendoroid. Also, your fig is 6 inches? That's tiny, the Good Smile was like a 1/7 I believe, and boy was it nice and heavy as well. Sadly, white pantsu.

IMO something can not be judged on one scale alone (e.g. just quality). Sculpt, pose, quality, value for money are just some of the factors that decide whether a figure is bad or good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2