• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Top 50 Anime of All Time," according to JapanCinema.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Masakaki wrote:
Where's Monster ?!!

lmao I re-enacted that rageface when I saw DBZ at position 7.

The lack of Haruhi is a major fail. I didn't look at the rest of the list. Was Nodame on it?
redletterprints

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Yo

High quality adult action anime such as Ninja Scroll, Shigurui Death Frenzy and Ghost in the Shell and even Golgo 13 are fantastic anime. Those made the list. By the way I am a 32 year old women. Yes I watch anime. Yes I enjoy the violent sexual artistic ones such as these.

If you don't like JapanCinema's list it would be good to let the site creator know in the comments - he's the one who compiled them. Then maybe make some suggestions for improvement.

#beinganadult

- O
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Madoka Magica is probably too new to make the list, but I see that show as the successor to Haruhi when it comes to influence within the industry and the fanbase.

That would be strange. MAWARU PENGUINDRUM is on the list and it is newer than Madoka. [It's not like it makes me sad Smile MP is the better series.]

But, yeah, the vast majority of these shows are clearly action-oriented. I wonder if someone will do Top 50 slice-of-life anime.

I was confused by Mawaru Penguindrum but no Utena myself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
All I know about Street Fighter 2 is that it shares a director (Sugii) with Night on the Galactic Railroad, which has always made me want to check it out.
It's not my list, that's for sure. Whether judged for quality or influence, there are many things I would want there. Utena? Gunbuster? Space Battleship Yamato or anything Leiji Matsumoto?
Macron One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I think i can safely ignore any top 50 anime list that excludes virtually all shoujo and jousei anime, and which also fails to include Monster AND Hajime no Ippo.
gsilver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I was looking through the list, and most of them were either things that I've seen and loved, things which are on my "to watch" list, and things that I recognize the fanbase for, but don't care about.

Then they throw in Dead Leaves and Street Fighter 2. Are those even considered good by the majority of anime fans?

And, yeah, I could write for hours on "why X but not Y?" but that's kind of pointless... but I'll just say, why Penguindrum and not Utena? Ok, I couldn't fully restrain myself Laughing

Though looking at the list, it seems like a "by poll" list, rather than a carefully selected by committee list.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:46 pm Reply with quote
the list seems a bit funky. where would appleseed be and anime like pokemon which garnered a ton of junior following still don't deserve a top 50 standing of all time.

dragonball z is actually horrible anime but places high on the list while 5cm per second placed low.

probably the only top 5 i truly agree with is Ghost in the shell although it may not be #1 as they added it but definitely top3 material.

yakitate japan shouldn't even make the top 50 and is not better than fairy tail or shangrila which didn't even make the top 50
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
First of all, Cowboy Bebop not being on the list is pretty much grounds for irrelevance. Dead Leaves is there. Dead. Leaves. I can hardly imagine a less memorable anime. Pokemon's there but not Cowboy Bebop. POKEMON.

Second, you can't just say "Gundam". It's an entire franchise. Be bold enough to name the specific Gundam series/movie/OVA you would put on the list. Saying "Gundam" is chickening out.

Robotech, really? Robotech? Not Super Dimensional Fortress Macross? Why not just put Starblazers, Voltron, and Battle for the Planets. Robotech is disrespectful.

And Naruto is number 3 for being "influencial"? Communism was influencial, does that make it great? I want to meet the people who think Naruto is up there with Evangelion and Nausicaa. I'd really like to know these people, to see if they really exist in this world. Naruto isn't even as good as One Piece, and that's not even worth being there.

Street Fighter II but no Cowboy Bebop. That's borderline trolling. There's no way you can think anything SF related could be one of the greatest anime of all time. The anime movie is decent at best.

No Now and Then, Here and There? Legend of the Galactic Heroes? Wings of the Honneamise?

No. Instead, Howl's Moving Castle, one of Miyazaki's least popular and least talked about movies. Durarara and no Baccano? Fairy Tale? Blood: The Last Vampire? Who in the world has Blood: The Last Vampire on their "greatest anime" list?

Oh, and also? TV series, OVAs, and movies on the same list? No. You need to seperate those things. A TV series cannot be judged exactly the same way a movie can. They're different entities. You don't lump together live-action TV shows with live-action movies, do you? Of course not. Why? Because that's dumb.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
redletterprints wrote:
Yo

High quality adult action anime such as Ninja Scroll, Shigurui Death Frenzy and Ghost in the Shell and even Golgo 13 are fantastic anime. Those made the list. By the way I am a 32 year old women. Yes I watch anime. Yes I enjoy the violent sexual artistic ones such as these.

If you don't like JapanCinema's list it would be good to let the site creator know in the comments - he's the one who compiled them. Then maybe make some suggestions for improvement.

#beinganadult

- O

I'm sure your thread has already generated ANN poster hate mail lol.

Seriously, I've been on the internet long enough to know leaving a comment about your disagreements with a list like that is about as effective as peeing into the wind. You're only going to get it all back from the rest of those who agree with him.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
redletterprints wrote:
Each JC writer compiled a list and the creator Marcello narrowed those down to a master list

That's not surprising. You can pretty much tell by looking at it that you cobbled it together from the opinions of several different people each of whom had their own very narrow taste profile.

Quote:
If you don't like JapanCinema's list it would be good to let the site creator know in the comments - he's the one who compiled them.

Your list isn't much better I hate to say. Sure, some of the stuff you've picked either genuinely good, intelligent stuff like Ghost in the Shell or at least stuff like Ninja Scroll that's still pretty fun or at least notably stylish. But half of it is just utter garbage. You evidently have no ability to differentiate between the old school stuff that was genuinely good and the old school stuff that wasn't.

I must say too, I find your attitude highly annoying. You keep blathering on about how "adult" your tastes are but they're really not. There's absolutely nothing "adult" about most of that awful old 80s stuff. Excessively graphic content doesn't make something adult. In fact, there's a distinct immaturity to only liking this kind of thing.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Pardon my noting, but Golgo 13 is misspelled as Goglo 13.

And I'm afraid that I can't endorse this list. It seems overloaded with shōnen stuff and omits, as has been noted, things like Now & Then, Here & There, Kino's Journey, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Galaxy Express 999 and Serial Experiments Lain that I consider essential.

Mawaru Penguindrum, but not Revolutionary Girl Utena?!? Mawaru Penguindrum is probably quite good, I haven't seen it yet, but surely that director's prior work that was one of the most widely acclaimed series ever is more deserving.

And no Cowboy Bebop?!?

What's more, there really aren't any daring choices. There are many that confused me, but none that seemed really unconventional or idiosyncratic in a way that demonstrate unique, informed tastes. No GoShogun: the Time Étranger?!?

I'll give it credit for Patlabor if that includes Patlabor 2.

I just can't figure out what kind of tastes this lists represents. It seems a little weirdly narrow.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
redletterprints wrote:
I actually agree with most of you. Again, it was a compilation list compiled by JapanCinema and my personal list submitted is here, which I do feel is more of an adult taste.

You've got X: The Movie on your list twice, at both 46 and 35.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
The fact that he even put X: The Movie on his list at all makes me crack up.

As for the main list, it isn't even worth my time to criticise it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The fact that he even put X: The Movie on his list at all makes me crack up.

Yeah, I saw that and didn't even bother reading the rest. That movie is one of the worst things I have ever seen, though I'll admit I do enjoy it in a "so bad it's good" type of way.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
About half of the main list consists of choices that most people wouldn't dispute too much about being in a Top 50 list, but some of those choices are truly bizarre.

Count me in the chorus complaining that Naruto ending up at #3 is a huge blow to the list's credibility. I would very much like to see a detailed explanation about how it can be considered "influential." Now, DBZ was genuinely influential; yeah, some people in this thread have complained about it being crap, but it's also the most influential of all shonen action series. Naruto, Bleach, and a host of other popular shonen series from the past 20 years all borrow heavily from it, whether the fans of those series admit it or not. It was also one of the two or three biggest "gateway" title of the '90s. For those reasons, it being #3 wouldn't bother me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7