• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Top 50 Anime of All Time," according to JapanCinema.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Looked at the top 10 and no Midori Days, instant fail.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Asking my opinions on top anime is generally a mistake, because I will wax poetic about obscure titles that nobody has seen or really ever heard of. But this really stupid. There are only two only that list that make my top 50 (Admittedly, I've only seen about a third of that list, but...)
Mawaru PenguinDrum -- I rank it #47
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro -- I rank it at #20.

Add my voice to the chorus of cries against this list. It reads more as an list of 'popular shows and movies that I liked' than an intelligent discussion of the best anime. And please, if you are going to list the top whatever, JUSTIFY YOUR SELECTIONS! Two sentences is not enough! Plus, copy pasta? The descriptions of Akira and Eva are exactly the same: This cyberpunk classic is responsible for indoctrinating countless anime fans with it’s groundbreaking vision of the future and the fusion of man and science. Hell, you could have just dropped that into GITS as well, and it would have covered it!

And while M. redletterprints list is better (and mad props for including Angel's Egg), it still is heavily action oriented. In such a concept you need either omnivorous critics or varied ones, which these lists are neither. And Devil Hunter Yohko? Srly? That's nothing more than a collection of boob and sex jokes! One of the episodes was just music videos!

Since the list is 'Top', instead of 'Influential' or 'Classic', I'ma going to assume you mean best as in quality. And if we are judging on quality, then this is sorely lacking.

Here is a concise list of shows from my top fifty I'd take to war against yours anytime. (I tried to keep it mostly mainstream, although I threw Touka Gettan in there because A) it's awesome and B) the story is crazy ambitious--it's told almost entirely in reverse chronological order)
Bakemonogatari
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Galaxy Angel
Spice and Wolf
FLCL
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Honey and Clover
Angel Beats
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
Martian Successor Nadesico
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R Movie
Toradora
Touka Gettan
Hayate no Gotoku (first season)
Fullmetal Alchemist (first season)
Onii-sama e...
Project A-ko
Haibane Renmei

Do you have something with the crazy, experimental artwork of Bakemonogatari (not to mention the masterfully complex dialogue?) A show that spawned its own tongue-in-cheek religion, like Haruhi? Something that even Mr. Bertschy thinks is good, like Madoka? You can't tell a better travel-travel story that Steins;Gate, and Tylor has to be seen to be believed how it able to turn a stale old space opera into a fantastical farce. Sailor Moon TV is much more miss than hit, but that R movie is a masterpiece, and the franchise at it's height. In terms of spirituality and metaphysics, you can't beat Angel Beats, and Haibane Renmei is almost as good. And I didn't even get into the list of shows that aren't my top 50, but I wouldn't argue with on somebody else's. What about AnoHana? Lovely Complex? Clannad? Windaria? Utena? House of Five Leaves? Harlock? Canaan?

Although, this gives me an idea -- anime fight club. You and your opponent could pick an anime and argue which is better -- you would write up why your show is good, and then turn around and attack why your opponent's isn't as good. And people could vote on it and stuff. That would be really fun. Seriously, ANN, take this idea and run with it.

redletterprints wrote:
To others...yo it's ANIME, not Russian existentialism.
Wink

*MONOCLE*
I do say, sir, I find such remarks in quite bad taste.
*Returns to reading War And Peace*

//Actually own a copy of War and Peace. Read about a third before I got hopelessly lost. One of these days...
cl-shojo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:
Quote:
I think i can safely ignore any top 50 anime list that excludes virtually all shoujo and jousei anime

Ditto. There are plenty of great shojo series out there (Nana, Kodocha, etc), it'd be nice to see at least two or three on the list. And there also isn't a lot of love for classic series - with the exception of Robotech (uh, why not Macross?) and a couple of classic Ghibli movies there isn't much from before the mid-90s on this list.[/quote]

Last edited by cl-shojo on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jarmyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:37 pm Reply with quote
As a long time lurker of this place, I can't help but be amused and comment at all the hypocrisy of people who are calling out the original poster on his list being completely 100% wrong because it just what he and his fellows like and yet seem to think thier choices in anime being better is some objective proven scientific fact.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
As a long time lurker of this place, I can't help but be amused and comment at all the hypocrisy of people who are calling out the original poster on his list being completely 100% wrong because it just what he and his fellows like and yet seem to think thier choices in anime being better is some objective proven scientific fact.

All right, I'll admit I got worked up that they didn't have some of my favorites on there or that they ranked differently than I would. It's a natural reaction to these kinds of lists.

However, when they leave off anime that are good because they aren't as "influencial" as DBZ and Naruto, that's a bad list.

They lump all of GitS in one entry, all of Gundam in another, and barely justify any of their selections. It feels like they're just trying to be different for different's sake.

Yeah, it sucks.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:

Hypocrisy? Don't be absurd.

If he had called his list "The 50 Best Anime We Have Seen" then it wouldn't have been so bad. But he didn't. He called the list the "Top 50 Anime of All Time", which assumes an objective analysis. The standards/criteria he and his cohorts used are laughable at best, and he also possesses an anti-intellectual bent. The guy should be ashamed.

Last edited by dtm42 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:06 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
objective opinion

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I agree that it's all about how this list is presented that is getting people annoyed (or amused). If it was just a list of favourite episodes, that's one thing, because personal preference is different from quality. For example, I've been working out my top 20 favourite anime for a list/review and currently Fushigi Yuugi is sitting in the #2 slot. Do I think it's the second best anime I have ever watched? Not even remotely. But I love it despite its flaws and that's why its ranked so high.

But a list of the top "best" anime is something I would approach entirely differently because it would be about the actual perceived quality of the work. Fushigi Yuugi probably wouldn't even rank on that list.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A show that spawned its own tongue-in-cheek religion, like Haruhi?

Maybe Haruhi isn't on there because it's a shitty show with the WORST title character ever.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Jarmyn wrote:
all the hypocrisy of people who are calling out the original poster on his list being completely 100% wrong because it just what he and his fellows like

That would be pretty absurd, if only it were labeled "Our 50 Most Favorite Anime" or some such. However, with the grandiose title of "Top 50 Anime of All Time," significantly more thought should have gone into it than "Hey, I like this one, just throw it in there somewhere!"

penguintruth wrote:
When they leave off anime that are good because they aren't as "influencial" as DBZ and Naruto, that's a bad list.

That depends on what the criteria are. There wouldn't be anything wrong with making a "Top X Most Influential Anime" list, or giving influence some weight in a more general ranking, but here "influence" is just cited as a justification when they couldn't think of anything better to say, instead of being consistently applied as a major factor.

Last edited by Parse Error on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Except it's not a list of most influencial anime (and if it were, I have a hard time believing that half of those would even be appropriate for one... who was influenced by Street Fighter anime?), it's simply a list of the "top" anime, which is pretty vague.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
"Top X Anime of All Time" should include all round quality titles (animation, sound, writing, art, etc., which is a very hard thing to choose considering the amount at hand), unless specified otherwise. This list is clearly a mixed bag. They'd really have done better by naming it "Our Top 50 Favourite Anime".
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Except it's not a list of most influencial anime

Yes, but one could just as easily claim it wasn't intended as a list of the most artistically meritorious anime ever, because as you say just the word "top" doesn't indicate much. My personal assumption defaults to "most important," so influence and popularity being among the factors weighed would make sense to me.

penguintruth wrote:
and if it were, I have a hard time believing that half of those would even be appropriate for one... who was influenced by Street Fighter anime?

That's exactly what bugs me about this particular list though. It would have seemed reasonable to me if it had been based on any number of things, whether it's how much money a franchise has made, or how much critical acclaim it's garnered, but it irritates me by being arbitrary instead.

Last edited by Parse Error on Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Poorly compiled. The reasons given for too many of them are childish at best.
Pixelationist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Lists are totally superfluous but we sure do like reading them and pointing out how they are wrong eh? If that is their true purpose then I think they serve it.

They should have went for the safer title of "Top 50 animes we recommend" perhaps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7