• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Opens at #1 in 5 Asian Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Jonasan wrote:
Opening at number #1 does not equate to being a success. That's not how it works. Wait until the second weekend to see how big the drop is, and then you can gauge whether it's a success.

The first weekend only reveals the hype from all the marketing dollars spent.

Ok, I was hasty to call it a success. What I meant was that it had a decent opening weekend, at least, while Gatsu seemed to imply it had somehow already failed and was merely being spun by ANN to sound better.

It opened in 8 Asian markets while 2 other titles mentioned in the artcle opened in over 20 Asian markets. It could have been a limited opening release weekend.

article wrote:
(According to Box Office Mojo, two of the three higher grossing films, Marley and Me and Gran Torino, opened in 34 and 27 markets, respectively.)

It is possible that there is a positive spin being put on the data.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
Remember that Box Office success and cirtical acclaim don't go hand in hand all the time.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how it JUST got out, we're already rating it on its performances for the first weekend. It hasn't even reached the US yet and we're deciding whether or not to call a success or bomb on a worldwide scale.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember that Box Office success and cirtical acclaim don't go hand in hand all the time.

I'm fairly certain no one is trying to claim that this will get any critical acclaim.

The question of "success" is whether the movie will make back the money that was invested and more. Given these numbers, even if the Asian markets aren't the primary target and even if this is only the first week, I would venture to say that the movie would do fine.

Interesting that Taiwan seems to have the most taste out of these Asian countries...
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Egan: I see. So do you think Zac's review will kill any future banner ads with FOX? Wink

BTW, DB: E is (unbelievably) $100 million. Though Catwoman was around $120 million, if I'm not mistaken.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Well unlike most of the haters digging for a jab at DB, I'm just going to say, YEAH!!
krownklown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
did i miss something, i didn't think this movie was anywhere close to being released and its already released in asia
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
krownklown wrote:
did i miss something, i didn't think this movie was anywhere close to being released and its already released in asia

It was supposed to be released in Asia before being released here in the US. Comes out next month over here.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Egan: I see. So ya think you'll still get any banner ads from FOX after Zac's review? This assumes they're aware that anime fans and their sites exist, of course. Wink
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
so they made 10millions back so far. I wonder how much do they need to break even.

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!!!!

(couldn't resist)

v1cious wrote:
so it came out overseas, before it came here? interesting strategy they're working with.

Makes sense I suppose. DB was popular in those markets long before it infec......erm, aired on our US airwaves. So why not show it there, then go for the big enchilada?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Egan: I see. So ya think you'll still get any banner ads from FOX after Zac's review? This assumes they're aware that anime fans and their sites exist, of course. Wink

Do you think that if they weren't aware of the existence of anime fans and their sites that they would have funded the movie? Whether Fox decides that they are going to release banner ads to ANN is completely up to Fox. Zac can say all he wants about DB but that still doesn't stop Fox from advertising for the movie.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
fighter: Well, they certainly act oblivious to anyone but themselves, so...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:12 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Interesting that Taiwan seems to have the most taste out of these Asian countries...

Let's review how much it got after three weeks in Taipei:

Source: @movies

The four columns are date, rank, daily box office, and accumulated box office. It lasted just three weeks with a total box office of NT$2.99M (US$89K). That's pretty poor considering the local popularity of Chow and DB series.

Let's see how it goes tonight in US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/weekendroundup.html

Hannah Montana....Observe and Report....

Yep, DBZ is gonna be slaughtered royally.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
dormcat wrote:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/weekendroundup.html

Excerpt:

In some cases, critics are more dismissive of the source material than of the film itself. Wendy Ide of The Times of London writes, "Based on what has generously been described as a 'manga' but in fact seems to be about as narratively complex as the 'Pokemon' series,

Hmmmmmmm...........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3