• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds Assemble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
Hey, music stuff that I know!

I got a kick out of Mike's statement that Italo Disco is the music of the future from the past. So, true.

Italo Disco being mentioned made my day or rather my entire weekend. One of my friends is DJ-ing regularly at our small DIY- parties and Italo Disco and Space Techno is what his set is made up off. Really great stuff, it makes me want to put on futuristic track suits and sip a lil' Gargleblaster while delivering a cyber-moonwalk(whatever that is). It's probably the only thing that would get me into a real club(you know, like with actual grown ups n stuff) and bust some moves.

Also, I totally want to hear a Best of the 70ies episode, either here or at the AWO with some epic ocarina-ing.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
Woman Called Fujiko is what is called a critics anime in which people will ignore all the faults in it's writing and narrative and focus primarily on one aspect on it, in this case the artstyle, to put praise in it's favor especially when it's undeserved especially since the ending makes the whole thing pointless which was a similar case with Eden of the East in which people praised it's concept by never actually got to the writing itself, what's worse is that we have people trying to "analyze" it like it's trying to convey some deep message especially when it's written as clear as day for people who don't have their heads up their asses.

This is the longest run on sentence I've ever seen.

I've yet to see the show, as I'm waiting for the *hopefully* Blu-Ray release (I'm worried importation fears will prevent that) and I've watched next to nothing this season despite having interest in a few things. However, what I've read on the ANN reviews and comments, no one is denying the story has flaws. From what it sounds like the series is spotlighted because it attempts to try something new, but the results are mixed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:
Woman Called Fujiko is what is called a critics anime

...by anti-intellectuals who wallow in otaku-pandering stuff and attack everything else because they feel like nobody respects their taste.

... ! Confused

Last edited by FeelMyBlade on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

...by anti-intellectuals who wallow in otaku-pandering stuff and attack everything else because they feel like nobody respects their taste.

Step back for a minute, Zac.

Are you really qualified to judge someone's intellectual level based on what cartoons they watch?
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
OK guys, time for some real talk: whining and bickering when the ANN dudes dislike something is pretty boring, but you know what's even more boring? Whining and bickering when the ANN dudes LIKE something! Knock it off or I will come to your house and throw water balloons at you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

Are you really qualified to judge someone's intellectual level based on what cartoons they watch?

This is based on evidence that it's a constant stream of "over-thinking things" "analyzing too much" "expecting too much" and then often "shut your brain off and enjoy it" comments that usually follow any criticism of 'hapless loser falls into the boobs of helpless moe girl reincarnation of nobunaga' thing. Those same people then attack anything that people like me actually enjoy, calling it elitist, making fun of how it doesn't sell as well as whatever flavor of the month is making someone money right now, etc.

That's fine, and that's how things are, but don't crawl up my ass because I observed a pattern.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

This is based on evidence that it's a constant stream of "over-thinking things" "analyzing too much" "expecting too much" and then often "shut your brain off and enjoy it" comments that usually follow any criticism of 'hapless loser falls into the boobs of helpless moe girl reincarnation of nobunaga' thing. Those same people then attack anything that people like me actually enjoy, calling it elitist, making fun of how it doesn't sell as well as whatever flavor of the month is making someone money right now, etc.

That's fine, and that's how things are, but don't crawl up my ass because I observed a pattern.

Is the pattern you observed "anti-intellectualism" or is it simply people being entertained by what you find not entertaining, and not being entertained by what you find entertaining, and then both sides feeling the need to down on each other because of it?

That said, a lot of the behaviour I see from people who down on moé fans for being "anti-intellectual" is incredibly anti-intellectual itself.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
...and the circle of life is complete:

Ah wimba-way..., ah wimba-way, wimba-way...
In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote

Is the pattern you observed "anti-intellectualism" or is it simply people being entertained by what you find not entertaining, and not being entertained by what you find entertaining, and then both sides feeling the need to down on each other because of it?

That said, a lot of the behaviour I see from people who down on moé fans for being "anti-intellectual" is incredibly anti-intellectual itself.

Explain then to me why the overwhelming number of comments toward people like me are all about how we think too much and expect too much and analyze too much. We all want stuff with depth and that means we're snobs, etcetera. It's all this "you're a horrible elitist, shut up and stop talking about anime you monster" stuff.

Thanks for that "no, YOU'RE really the anti-intellectuals!" thing there. Such a solid argument! One I'm really going to take to heart!
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You know, in any other medium the "hapless loser falls into the boobs of helpless moe girl reincarnation of nobunaga" concept might sound strange. Christ, this is the world we live in.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Zac wrote:

You know, in any other medium the "hapless loser falls into the boobs of helpless moe girl reincarnation of nobunaga" concept might sound strange. Christ, this is the world we live in.

That's what happens when you over exposed to amount of mediocre anime being churned out. If you are talking about oda nobuna I would rather read the books since the actually spoiler[let the mc have sex.]

I really hate being tired and getting words messed up ;-;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Explain then to me why the overwhelming number of comments toward people like me are all about how we think too much and expect too much and analyze too much. We all want stuff with depth and that means we're snobs, etcetera. It's all this "you're a horrible elitist, shut up and stop talking about anime you monster" stuff.

Thanks for that "no, YOU'RE really the anti-intellectuals!" thing there. Such a solid argument! One I'm really going to take to heart!

Can't tell you, really, but do you really think it's rooted in anti-intellectualism? Maybe they just don't like it when people like you point certain things out in anime they like. I'm not saying they're right, but anti-intellectual just seems like reaching to me.

And since you question the solidity of my argument, I'd ask you what you think is intellectual about completely shooting down the suggestion that we look at sexism in anime from a different angle? Or what you think is intellectual about trying to shoot down a moé discussion because you didn't think it was going anywhere, even if the people discussing did?

I'd say both of those are more anti-intellectual than saying "You're looking into it too much."
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

The main thing I love about anime (and Japan as a whole) is that there is a ton of stuff that you cant really get anyone else. Sure some of it may be bad, but a lot of times you get stuff that is completely awesome like Drifters.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

...unless they get paid to like it.

http://i.imgur.com/dL4Kb.jpg

Just remember, America Always win Baby!

Ah yes, obviously after not being impressed by the first episode of a show, he can't possibly be impressed with the rest of the show.

That never happens ever. Shows never get better as they go along.

Must be a payoff!

A wildly popular show? I guess those millions of fans in Japan were just PAID to like it!

And the moon landing was faked!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
notazaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Perhaps they respond that way because they realize they have no counter argument to defend with. Either they can’t put into words a counter argument or they may actually agree with your analysis even if it’s something they enjoy, either way they get frustrated that they can’t counter with their own argument. So instead they counter with “you’re thinking about it too much” or whatever. I don’t know for sure but I suppose that might be part of the reason for it. I mean how much can be said about a mediocre boob anime that’s all that flattering. “Well yeah you’re right it’s crap, but I like it” isn’t much of a counter argument. I can see why some fans may not want critical analysis applied to their favorite fanservice anime when few good things can be said about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9