• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds Assemble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Ah yes, obviously after not being impressed by the first episode of a show, he can't possibly be impressed with the rest of the show.

The point is that he didn't even give it a chance. He had that review written before he ever watched the first episode.

And just to put out another example from a show Zac trashed, Sengoku Collection 18 is the single finest episode of anime to air all year. At least.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
Was hoping for more backstory out of Fujiko in that series. But in the end it ended up just as another bit episode. Kinda felt like a letdown.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:
Woman Called Fujiko is what is called a critics anime

...by anti-intellectuals who wallow in otaku-pandering stuff and attack everything else because they feel like nobody respects their taste.

...unless they get paid to like it.

http://i.imgur.com/dL4Kb.jpg

Just remember, America Always win Baby!

Did that just get posted? Really? Think for a minute, dude. Think! Who would conceivably pay Zac off to give Madoka a good review? Aniplex of America? Do you really think that they believe that a significant enough portion of their Madoka disk sales depend on whether or not ANN gives it a good review? God.

What may have happened is that he initially didn't like it but was influenced by the interpersonal consensus of what is 'critic's anime', as mentioned in this thread earlier, and subconsciously changed his mind. That is a thing that happens more than we'd like to think in terms of not only critics but people in general: their opinions become those of the group they identify with. Most people reading this thread are WAY more guilty of that than they think. However, and to be completely honest, Zac seems to be one of the few people who make up their own damn mind about things.

I think the only legitimate answer is the simplest one: his opinion changed about the show as he saw more of it. It's happened to me. Hell, I started watching what would become my favorite anime thinking it would be horrible, and over the course of it, my opinion slowly did a 180. That's entirely possible.

Last edited by Galap on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:25 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

I think the only legitimate answer is the simplest one: his opinion changed about the show as he saw more of it. It's happened to me. Hell, I started watching what would become my favorite anime thinking it would be horrible, and over the course of it, my opinion slowly did a 180. That's entirely possible.

The big difference is, I'm assuming, you didn't post a gag review trashing the first episode on the largest English Language Anime News site that you happen to also be the Exectuve Editor of.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Galap wrote:

The big difference is, I'm assuming, you didn't post a gag review trashing the first episode on the largest English Language Anime News site that you happen to also be the Exectuve Editor of.

Well, no I clearly didn't but so what if I did?

First of all, I wouldn't really call that a gag review. It did contain his honest opinion of that material at the time (regardless of whether or not his change of heart was genuine or not), and was just a tad flippant, which is to be expected when you think something is stupid and you don't like it. He wouldn't be a good Executive Editor of the largest Englis Language Anime News site if he didn't voice his opinions about things.

And replying to the 'not giving it a chance' thing, seeing what the final review was like, he clearly DID give it a chance.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Galap wrote:

Man, what a tragedy! It must hurt a lot, I can feel your pain, dude. Here, catch my lolipop *!*, it will cheer you up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
I'm sure Aniplex really needed that extra push from Zac to sell the most popular anime of 2011, a multiple-award-winning show with thousands of fans.

And as you can tell, Zac's living it up on the payola, saving up for that bunny farm he always wanted in Tuscany, maybe raise a few children, start getting into Italian poltiics, write a book or two, go on the pundit circut. Aniplex has a lot of extra cash lying around to pay off anime reviewers, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Screw you guys, remixes are creativity.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:12 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

...by anti-intellectuals who wallow in otaku-pandering stuff and attack everything else because they feel like nobody respects their taste.

Just so everyone knows, this image is 100% accurate.

Anyway, I'm off to St. Bart's on a private jet thanks to my fat payola checks after lying to all of you about whether or not I really liked Madoka Magica! SUCKERS!
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

You moron,before you accuse people of accepting bribery maybe you should see the show for yourself.
The first episode intentionally sucked so it would shock the the viewers with twists that happen later on.When Zac was reviewing the first episode,he reviewed what he saw there,had no idea what was going to happen in next episodes.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

You moron,before you accuse people of accepting bribery maybe you should see the show for yourself.
The first episode intentionally sucked so it would shock the the viewers with twists that happen later on.When Zac was reviewing the first episode,he reviewed what he saw there,had no idea what was going to happen in next episodes.

While I can certainly see someone who disliked the first episode ultimately liking the show, to say that it "intentionally sucked" is completely ridiculous.

Madoka's twists may have been, well, twists, but the show did not try to hide its aesthetic or general creepiness at all in the first episode.

The opening scene, with Madoka running through the twisted building, only to come out to see her city in ruins, with a lone girl fighting a losing battle against a monster she could barely comprehend...thats not the thing "traditional" magical girl shows are made of. Especially with a song like Magia playing over the scene.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:

While I can certainly see someone who disliked the first episode ultimately liking the show, to say that it "intentionally sucked" is completely ridiculous.

Madoka's twists may have been, well, twists, but the show did not try to hide its aesthetic or general creepiness at all in the first episode.

The opening scene, with Madoka running through the twisted building, only to come out to see her city in ruins, with a lone girl fighting a losing battle against a monster she could barely comprehend...thats not the thing "traditional" magical girl shows are made of. Especially with a song like Magia playing over the scene.

Dude the opening sequence that you speak of lasted 10 seconds followed by 20 minutes of magical girl cliches,directed by the dude who directed Nanoha.Do you really believe that anyone on planet Earth thought that this is going to turn into a show about existentialism.
And if the show didn't try to hide its true nature,then why the hell did Gen Urobuchi apologize on his twitter for misleading people.
Now if you excuse me I have to watch Gundam Unicron .
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:57 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
[Dude the opening sequence that you speak of lasted 10 seconds followed by 20 minutes of magical girl cliches,directed by the dude who directed Nanoha.

Yes, because Nanoha is the shining example of "traditional" magical girl shows. Hell, the fact that it was directed by Shinbo would be more than enough reason to give it the benefit of the doubt. And if you knew the director then you probably also knew the writer, which would make such assumptions even more silly.

Quote:
Do you really believe that anyone on planet Earth thought that this is going to turn into a show about existentialism.

No, but it was certainly inserting more than enough creepiness to keep things unsettled.

Quote:
And if the show didn't try to hide its true nature,then why the hell did Gen Urobuchi apologize on his twitter for misleading people.

I really think you don't understand the context of those remarks.

Quote:
Now if you excuse me I have to watch Gundam Unicron .

Putting aside the easy jab at your typo, how is this relevant?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Yes, because Nanoha is the shining example of "traditional" magical girl shows. Hell, the fact that it was directed by Shinbo would be more than enough reason to give it the benefit of the doubt. And if you knew the director then you probably also knew the writer, which would make such assumptions even more silly.

Shinbo did a lot of stuff,including Triangle Hearts and Nanoha ,so no one knows what he will go for.And Gen Urobuchi was not very famous for his work in anime industry at the time.
Quote:
No, but it was certainly inserting more than enough creepiness to keep things unsettled.

Then why the hell did a lot of people believe after episode that the show had no substance at all?
Quote:
I really think you don't understand the context of those remarks.

Oh ok ,would you mind explaining the context for me sir?
Quote:

Putting aside the easy jab at your typo, how is this relevant?

It means I will not be writing anything today,so yeah goodbye.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote
I am not exactly going to say that the director of Negima?! is the next Hayao Miyazaki or Satoshi Kon.

Also the guy accusing Zac of being bribed by Aniplex is the greatest moment in ANN history.

No Hyperbole, greatest moment in ANN history.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9