• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds Assemble

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:14 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Shinbo did a lot of stuff,including Triangle Hearts and Nanoha

Its worth noting he did both of those long, long ago. Also you're the one who brought this up, so...eh?

Quote:
,so no one knows what he will go for.And Gen Urobuchi was not very famous for his work in anime industry at the time.

There is a reason they tried to keep his involvement secret. Everyone who knew who he was, knew what his involvement meant.

And hell, Madoka is easily his most optimistic, most cheerful, least depressing work EVER.

Quote:
Then why the hell did a lot of people believe after episode that the show had no substance at all?

Because they're morons.

Quote:
Oh ok ,would you mind explaining the context for me sir?

He was talking about the pre-release publicity, which DEFINITELY did not make the show look at all like what it ended up being. But the first episode? Yeah, that made it clear this wasn't going to be "normal" magical girl fare

Quote:
It means I will not be writing anything today,so yeah goodbye.

Ok?
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There is a reason they tried to keep his involvement secret. Everyone who knew who he was, knew what his involvement meant.

And hell, Madoka is easily his most optimistic, most cheerful, least depressing work EVER.

But that of course means that they were trying to mislead people into thinking this is typical magical girl show,and right after it was discovered that Urobuchi was scrriptwriter he wrote "It's time to recognize me as a healing-type writer."Also the tweet of him apologizing to people for misleading them happened after third episode.
Quote:
But the first episode? Yeah, that made it clear this wasn't going to be "normal" magical girl fare

Then can you please explain to me why was that episode full of cliches?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:29 am Reply with quote
While I agree with Justin that the second season of Moyashimon isn't as good as the first one, he's wrong when he says it's made by an entirely different staff. It's got a different character designer/animation director, but it's still directed by Yuichiro Yano, head-written by Natsuko Takahashi and produced by Shirogumi Inc. and Telecom Animation Film. I guess the first season simply had better manga volumes to adapt.
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:
Woman Called Fujiko is what is called a critics anime

...by anti-intellectuals who wallow in otaku-pandering stuff and attack everything else because they feel like nobody respects their taste.

Actually it's the opposite Rolling Eyes

But hey if this crap didn't have a "proactive" artstyle nobody would have paid it any attention just like how everyone ignored the last Lupin special which aired a few months prior.
exkaizer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

...by anti-intellectuals who wallow in otaku-pandering stuff and attack everything else because they feel like nobody respects their taste.

I'd like to point out that Zac is the one who brought up the moe thing this time, which has resulted in the inevitable flamewar. I like the podcast, but I hate when these comment threads devolve into off-topic namecalling and unsolvable arguments. I used to dismiss it as just a few crazies ruining it for everyone, but when you've got a moderator deliberately provoking people, it makes me not want to come back.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

No, there's no such term. Seriously, google up "critics anime" and you'll get around 1500 results, none of which pertain to what you're trying to describe. The closest stuff to what you're trying to describe, i.e. anime designed to win film festival awards and critical acclaim rather than mainstream acceptance would be more along the lines with Studio 4C's output-- Genius Party, Noiseman Sound Insect, Mindgame, and all that other awesomely weird stuff that we'll never get in English because fans would simply rather spend their money on Infinite Stratos.

Fujiko drew my attention for 3 reasons: 1.) Takeshi Koike, 2.) Sayo Yamamoto, and 3.) Fujiko Mine. Like the animators a great deal, always liked the character a lot, and was glad to see them take the franchise in a new direction. I'm not entirely sure it's a -great- series (it's certainly not my favorite of spring 2012; that'd be, like I said, Space Brothers, followed by Fate/Zero, Kids on the Slope, and maybe THEN Fujiko, which would still be tied with Polar Bear's Cafe) partly because I haven't seen the final third, but it's definitely a good one.

The first person I noticed really talking the show up was Hideo Kojima, so it's not like it doesn't have any crossover appeal either. I also take issue with your saying that critics have ignored the show's faults; pretty much everyone I've read and spoken to has admired Fujiko's visual boldness, but noted its frailty both in terms of storytelling and animation quality.

For the record, I do think Eden of the East is better. Not MUCH better... but better. I also don't really think that was "anime for critics," as it was an accessible, conventional-looking story that was pretty broadly successful.

Quote:
You're joking right? Considering they got CLAMP to do the rough character designs of the series and got their input on some of the characters (Clovis) when Kimura did the final drafts? I think Mike's comparison were to the aristocratic feel both series convey and aesthetic to European culture

Actually, my big criteria was simply "mecha series that a lot of ladies seem to enjoy". In 2000, it was Gundam Wing; in 2010, it was Geass. I'd say Code Geass is off the boil now, but they're making more of it, so who knows?

I'm fascinated by the imagery of Zac taking bribes in exchange for positive reviews of Madoka Magica. I read all 3 of his reviews, and to me he seemed to like it quite a lot all the way through. It's a very good show IMO, and not at all surprising that he'd rate it highly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote
The music and some of the scenes in Kids on the Slope had me won over. I also thought that a number of the scenes were beautifully crafted. I can see why some might be disappointed, but it got right to the heart of me, so much that it’s really a part of me.

I'm following the same series as Mike is this season. I'm cool with that.

The lead in Natsuyuki Rendezvous isn't quite as strong as I wish he were, but he isn't as generic and limp as the really lousy anime romance leads. I like the dynamic between he and the ghost as well as the ridiculous positions of the ghost. It’s a neat, distinctive way to play that kind of character.

I dig Humanity Has Declined. I find it's cynicism muted by the demeanor of the lead; it takes the edge off of the criticism.

I liked the Jigen episode best as Daryl did, but Jigen is my favorite too, although I like Fujiko a lot more after seeing it. I always wanted to, but the way that she was portrayed in most of what I've seen of the franchise didn't give enough reason. I loved the artwork and despite being initially disappointed by the ending, I quickly realized that it was perfect, it just lands a little roughly at first because the series deliberately plays to your expectations about Fujiko’s past and builds them so it can knock them down. I liked the series plenty, more than Zac, but while I don’t quite agree, I can’t understand his complaints. I do wish its budget had allowed it animation as sumptuous as its art. I believe that the production might have been stuck regularly running behind schedule, which might also account for some of its faults.

Has Justin not seen Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ or was he just content to let Daryl and Zac discuss it. (I can’t remember him talking during that segment)

I'm thinking that I might go to Otakon's twentieth anniversary too. If I go, it will be my first convention. I suppose that'll be a little like leaping into the tiger's den. (I might chicken out because of the cost or because Ican't get leave)

Mike! Please do '"Dubs That Time Forgot". It's one of the things that I've been most looking forward to for my first convention.

I watched a lot of Storage Wars for about two weeks, then the thrill wore off. Real lark while it lasted.

Remember when A&E showed A Nero Wolfe Mystery? I do, and it still hurts.

SD Golgo 13?

I never liked the whole SD motif.

Ooh! Ooh! SD Shoah.

That's possibly the worst thing I've ever written.

Michiko e Hatchin on Toonami. That could be boss.

I was not remotely interested in Sword Art Online, then I was a little curious because of what a few people thought of it, then they said more and I went back to beingnot remotely interested.

The Lychee Light Club anime will just be a series of comedy shorts. I am disappoint.

I didn't drink until I was almost twenty seven, but I just
nurse a glass of scotch or something now and again.

I like Kazuki Akane plenty. He doing that new Code Geass OVA and he’s worked pretty reliably on everything from The Vision of Escaflowne to Heat Guy J. I’ve taken a real shine to Sayo Yamamoto after Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~; she somebody I’d like to see do more.

Who is Danny Choo?

That's not really rhetorical, but I still don't really want an answer.

Technically, G Gundam was not on Toonami, it was on the Saturday Video Entertainment System block (SVES), a block that ran on Saturday nights in the early twenty first century that was eventually replaced by Toonami when I was relegated to Saturdays.

BarCho66 wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

Actually it's the opposite Rolling Eyes

But hey if this crap didn't have a "proactive" artstyle nobody would have paid it any attention just like how everyone ignored the last Lupin special which aired a few months prior.

Awww, let's lay off this poor guy. He clearly suffers from either deafness or a learning disability that made it impossible for him to process the fifteen minutes of critical discussion on the series , leading him to embrace a self-affirming fantasy that allows him to dismiss contrary opinions for reasons unrelated to their merit or substance. It's a tragedy, but these things happen around us all the time. Its best to accept it, then move on and leave him to work toward winning his Darwin Award.

exkaizer wrote:
Zac wrote:
BarCho66 wrote:

I'd like to point out that Zac is the one who brought up the moe thing this time, which has resulted in the inevitable flamewar. I like the podcast, but I hate when these comment threads devolve into off-topic namecalling and unsolvable arguments. I used to dismiss it as just a few crazies ruining it for everyone, but when you've got a moderator deliberately provoking people, it makes me not want to come back.

I think that he overreacted by introducing that dread word into the thread. Some people have made it very easy to want to do that, but it would probably have been more than enough to just sting BarCho66 for creating the meaningless specter of 'critics anime' without sprawling out into assertions about his tastes, even if those assertions seem plausible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

Actually, my big criteria was simply "mecha series that a lot of ladies seem to enjoy". In 2000, it was Gundam Wing; in 2010, it was Geass. I'd say Code Geass is off the boil now, but they're making more of it, so who knows?

I honestly can't fathom why people keep saying this. Gundam has always had a strong female presence in the fandom since 0079, infact I recall Tomino saying in a 2009 interview that teenage girls were biggest contributors to its popularity and it's not like 0079 didn't have it's fair share of pretty boy characters (Char, Garma, Amuro).

Surrender Artist wrote:

Awww, let's lay off this poor guy. He clearly suffers from either deafness or a learning disability that made it impossible for him to process the fifteen minutes of critical discussion on the series , leading him to embrace a self-affirming fantasy that allows him to dismiss contrary opinions for reasons unrelated to their merit or substance. It's a tragedy, but these things happen around us all the time. Its best to accept it, then move on and leave him to work toward winning his Darwin Award.

Are you just proving my point or do you seriously believe those string a big words amounted to anything? Because seriously I don't think what you wrote up made any sense other than you flocking like a sheep to every whim.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:34 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Who is Danny Choo?

That's not really rhetorical, but I still don't really want an answer.

Don't worry, your curiousity will get a hold of you when you decided to click this link! Surprised

http://www.dannychoo.com/
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Technically, G Gundam was not on Toonami, it was on the Saturday Video Entertainment System block (SVES), a block that ran on Saturday nights in the early twenty first century that was eventually replaced by Toonami when I was relegated to Saturdays.

Actually it did but you're probably too young to remember

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Fighter_G_Gundam

Quote:
An English language version aired on American Cartoon Network's Toonami block from August 5, 2002 to October 16 of the same year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdisFZ10oIM
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

No, G Gundam was definitely on Toonami. I distinctly remember coming home from high school on weekdays and watching G Gundam back in 2002. In fact, I don't think G Gundam was ever on the SVES block. Now, Rurouni Kenshin was a title that was originally on Toonami and then moved over to SVES, but G Gundam was Toonami through & through.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

No, G Gundam was definitely on Toonami. I distinctly remember coming home from high school on weekdays and watching G Gundam back in 2002. In fact, I don't think G Gundam was ever on the SVES block. Now, Rurouni Kenshin was a title that was originally on Toonami and then moved over to SVES, but G Gundam was Toonami through & through.

Really? Well derp. I for some reason I only ever associated it with SVES. There's probably some weird, seemingly arbitrary association in my memory that's overwriting reality. I guess my own lack of interest in the show leaves me with a weak memory of it. Ah well, whoops.

I started with the word, "technically," that's never a good sign.

BarCho66 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

Are you just proving my point or do you seriously believe those string a big words amounted to anything? Because seriously I don't think what you wrote up made any sense other than you flocking like a sheep to every whim.

Well, you would be the expert in meaningless words that amount to nonsense, so I defer to the wisdom of first-hand experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Actually it did but for a incredibly brief run late at night back when CN had extra airing time before moving up Adult Swim's action block. This was before 2004 when Toonami moved to Saturdays only.
Farix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
But the first episode? Yeah, that made it clear this wasn't going to be "normal" magical girl fare

I see that you are doing some historical revisionism there. The first episodes, while visually stunning, was full of clichés and very formulaic. If you look Zac did give the visuals a perfect score. To claim that he "should have known" that it was going to be this "awesome series" is a rather weak argument to make. Especially coupled by the fact that the other previewers gave modest scores solely because of the visuals. That means that Zac's scores (which are typically lower) were more nuanced. But to go on to say that he changed his opinion because he was "paid to" is utterly ridiculous.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

I see that you are doing some historical revisionism there. The first episodes, while visually stunning, was full of clichés and very formulaic. If you look Zac did give the visuals a perfect score. To claim that he "should have known" that it was going to be this "awesome series" is a rather weak argument to make. Especially coupled by the fact that the other previewers gave modest scores solely because of the visuals. That means that Zac's scores (which are typically lower) were more nuanced. But to go on to say that he changed his opinion because he was "paid to" is utterly ridiculous.

since your the last one that posted I'm just going to point this out, the person that started this whirl up only has less than 10 post he did it for this sole purpose. Also that image was whipped up on a 4chan thread when the first madoka dvd/bluray review came out on ann so put it to rest. A damn troll stirred up some sh** for the hell of it, I would think the user base here would know not to respond to obvious troll bait.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9