Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonball Evolution


Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Paranoia Phantom



Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

So being "open-minded" translates to "completely ignoring the fact that a particular movie sucks noodles"? That's news to me. Also, why in the world should any viewer settle for "mediocrit
?

Being open-minded means not being ignorant. You're being ignorant.

Most people have not seen this film, yet degrade it.
You may not know it, but you settle for mediocrity. I'm sure you've settled for mediocre anime, seen a mediocre film, have a mediocre lunch, etc. People can't go into this film expecting The Dark Knight. They need to look at it for what it is, and for what it was intended to be. Clearly, if 20th Century Fox intended on creating the next Pulp Fiction in Dragonball, they would've upped the budget and hired a more qualified director.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7846
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Phantom wrote:
This is what you get when one mixes lifeless Otaku's, with a live action ADAPTATION. The reviewer critiques the damned piece as if it were Award-worthy. Can't people take this film for what it's meant to be? A mediocre, sci-fi, anime adaptation.

Ignorance is the key here. Most people need to be open minded if they see this, or else, they'll end up like the loser who wrote this review.


"Don't you get it guys?! This movie is SUPPOSED to suck donkey balls, so that it sucks donkey balls means you can't criticize it for sucking donkey balls!"

A bad movie is a bad movie. You can come up with lame-ass nonsense excuses for everything, though, so go ahead and waste your life defending crappy, badly-made, badly-written movies based on the premise that they're "supposed" to be that way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Paranoia Phantom



Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Paranoia Phantom wrote:
This is what you get when one mixes lifeless Otaku's, with a live action ADAPTATION. The reviewer critiques the damned piece as if it were Award-worthy. Can't people take this film for what it's meant to be? A mediocre, sci-fi, anime adaptation.

Ignorance is the key here. Most people need to be open minded if they see this, or else, they'll end up like the loser who wrote this review.


"Don't you get it guys?! This movie is SUPPOSED to suck donkey balls, so that it sucks donkey balls means you can't criticize it for sucking donkey balls!"

A bad movie is a bad movie. You can come up with lame-ass nonsense excuses for everything, though, so go ahead and waste your life defending crappy, badly-made, badly-written movies based on the premise that they're "supposed" to be that way.



LAWL!!!11!!1111SHIFT-1!!!1

Badly-written? Really? Last time I checked, the actual SHOW was badly-written.

I'm not coming up with half-assed excuses. You're coming up with half-assed critiques.

What you're so aptly saying, is that you went INTO this film, expecting something else, such as, what, The Godfather? If I went into Speed Racer, came out and said "Where's the masterful dialogue, the drama, the romance?", it would be preposterous.


Only a semi-dyslexic 3-Year old would have went in like the reviewer "seemed" to have.

Yet, ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, I'll waste my life defending this film, while you waste your life hating it.

I think my time's better spent.


Last edited by Paranoia Phantom on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xanas



Joined: 27 Aug 2007
Posts: 2057
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but Spiderman was awesome, and Iron Man was awesome, and X-men was awesome and LOTR was also awesome.

So I know Hollywood can do fantasy, and I know they can do comic books and all of that stuff just fine when they put in the effort. So there is just no way I buy that Dragonball had to make a bad film. The source material might not be as good as the previously mentioned, but it wasn't bad, it's wildly popular, and even though I'm a bit more of a DBZ fan than a DB fan, there's still some good stuff in that series IMO. I can agree that maybe DB couldn't make a super high caliber film, but there is just no reason that it had to be this horrible.

So I'm very sad. I was hoping for DB movies that were at least somewhat cool, even if there was a bit of melodrama, overacting, and lots of grunting. But I expected this to be paralleled with fast paced flying fight scenes with beam duels, mirror image and mirage techniques, and awesome special effects. It sounds like we got none of that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7846
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Phantom wrote:

What you're so aptly saying, is that you went INTO this film, expecting something else, such as, what, The Godfather? If I went into Speed Racer, came out and said "Where's the masterful dialogue, the drama, the romance?", it would be preposterous.


Not at all. You're projecting, putting words in my mouth. I never said I expected this movie to be some kind of masterpiece. At all. Not once.

I went in expecting a fantasy action movie loosely based on the manga, aimed at a relatively young audience.

Here's what I was not expecting: a big heap of amateurish garbage.

This film is badly made, badly written. The acting is bad, the story is bad, the dialogue is bad, the action sequences are bad, the special effects are bad. It's a bad movie. Such things do exist, believe it or not.

You could write off or dismiss every criticism of every film ever made using your logic. There is no such thing as a bad movie if you approach it the way you seem to be.

Quote:

Yeah, I'll waste my life defending this film, while you waste your life hating it.

I think my time's better spent.


You're announcing to the world that you have absolutely horrendous taste and do not know what even a marginally decent kids' action movie is like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
tygerchickchibi



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 1270
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

You're announcing to the world that you have absolutely horrendous taste and do not know what even a marginally decent kids' action movie is like..


aaaaannnnddd.....?

If he wants to see it, he wants to see it. If he has "bad taste," then I suppose. I just don't know why you care, and still make fun of him for it too?

I know you wrote a review, and I know you thought it was horrible. That's OK. If you weren't planning on seeing it and were paid to do so, then probably, I'd commend you for that.

I'm going to go see it too. I'm not really looking to impress anyone. I do want to make my own review, I have a podcast so I don't think it would be the best idea to base criticism off of your review, that would be kind of bad. Anime hyper

I do believe you when you say it's crap. Why?
*shrugs.* I don't really know, I don't really read movie reviews. I suppose I'm one to go see it myself. That's all.

._. it's just the insulting based on different opinions is becoming a bit much now...

x.x but why am I surprised...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7846
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

If he wants to see it, he wants to see it.


That'd be fine if that were the sentiment he expressed rather than mashing together the "this movie is supposed to be terrible so you can't say it's terrible" thing with the "everyone saying this movie is bad is an ignorant fool" thing and then said "you need to watch it with an open mind unlike the loser who wrote this review", which is me.

So yeah I'll argue with him on those points.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
tygerchickchibi



Joined: 29 Sep 2006
Posts: 1270
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
LOL. Point taken.

Since you saw it already, I don't remember if you had said this in your review, but... if the movie was supposed to have a budget of $100 million, did it really look like they spent that much?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paranoia Phantom



Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not at all. You're projecting, putting words in my mouth. I never said I expected this movie to be some kind of masterpiece. At all. Not once.


Well, I meant the reviewer, whom I assumed was you, since you both seem to have the same mindset. Anyways, I inferred, and you did IMPLY in your previous refutes.

Quote:
This film is badly made, badly written. The acting is bad, the story is bad, the dialogue is bad, the action sequences are bad, the special effects are bad. It's a bad movie. Such things do exist, believe it or not.


OK, you're point, and justification for that point, revolves around the writing. I get it, and won't disagree. But, acting, dialogue, etc., all STEM from the screenplay, so don't try and separate them, to make it look like theirs more problems than there actually is.



Quote:
You could write off or dismiss every criticism of every film ever made using your logic. There is no such thing as a bad movie if you approach it the way you seem to be.


I'm just going in open-minded. I'm taking it for what it is. You could call that optimism, or whatever.

Quote:

You're announcing to the world that you have absolutely horrendous taste and do not know what even a marginally decent kids' action movie is like.



Er...pardon me, but knowing whether or not a kid's movie is good isn't my cup of tea, as I don't go around watching them. Maybe that say's more about your taste, than it does mine.

Frankly, the only reason I'm watching this, is because it's based off of Dragonball; good, or bad.


Quote:

That'd be fine if that were the sentiment he expressed rather than mashing together the "this movie is supposed to be terrible so you can't say it's terrible" thing with the "everyone saying this movie is bad is an ignorant fool" thing and then said "you need to watch it with an open mind unlike the loser who wrote this review", which is me.

So yeah I'll argue with him on those points.



We know the film isn't good. Yet, we're giving it a chance contrary to your lackluster, biased, and pessimistic review. Your critiques are based solely off your opinion. Your justification is...loose, to say the least.

I didn't say that this movie is "supposed to be terrible". I said that, one should take it for what it is. It's not The godfather, TDK, or Pulp Fiction. It's an anime adaptation. I would expect one with a semblance of a mind to realize that even the source material was ridiculous, cheesy, and weird, just as I know this film will be.

I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, but, the way in which you delivered it seemed pretentious and conclusive. You depict yourself as an elitist, and that your reviews is the be all, end all. Now, I'm not saying that you said that, but you definitely implied it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UltimaShadowfax



Joined: 03 Mar 2004
Posts: 275
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
You're making it seem like the reviewer didn't like it because it was "ridiculous, cheesy and weird," which is laughable. In fact, every post you've made so far has made me lawl to some extent.

"He didn't like the film so that makes him ignorant!"

Epic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7846
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Phantom wrote:
Your critiques are based solely off your opinion.


Oh, you're one of those people.

Quote:

I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, but, the way in which you delivered it seemed pretentious and conclusive. You depict yourself as an elitist, and that your reviews is the be all, end all. Now, I'm not saying that you said that, but you definitely implied it.


Whatever dude, don't read reviews if you can't handle someone being assertive and confident in their opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14431
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:25 pm Reply with quote
No_Life_Queen:
Quote:
In the first place, you can't make a movie adapted from an anime about giant monkeys and magic balls and expect it to actually be good!


Why? It worked out for King Kong and Willy Wonka. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Off hand it's gonna be bad when your basing it off of giant alien monkeys, greenmen, perverted old martial arts masters, and talking animals. I mean come on. Does it sound like something you'd want to watch?


Well, people want to watch it in anime + manga form, anyway...

inrud3r:
Quote:
yamcha being a blonde chinese


Korean. And the Pan-Asian setting is one of the few times I'm willing to side with testor on that ethnic choice of casting. But I will agree with the blonde dye-job. There's an irony to that one, since they claimed that DBZ would've been too much to handle.

Paranoia:

Quote:
Can't people take this film for what it's meant to be? A mediocre, sci-fi, anime adaptation.


If it was from that company which produced Twilight, yes. But this is from FOX, so we expect better. Though Twilight actually looks like it's got better FX than DB: E. Laughing

Quote:
Most people have not seen this film, yet degrade it.


Um, most people are currently bootlegging the film so they don't have to pay for it, and thus in fact, have seen it.

Quote:
People can't go into this film expecting The Dark Knight.


We don't expect Batman and Robin, either.

Quote:
if 20th Century Fox intended on creating the next Pulp Fiction in Dragonball, they would've upped the budget and hired a more qualified director.


FOX intended the fans to be stupid enough to buy into it, just because it was called DB. And as for the budget, the sucker's already over-priced at $100 million, because they had to re-shoot, er, finish it in post. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
What you're so aptly saying, is that you went INTO this film, expecting something else, such as, what, The Godfather? If I went into Speed Racer, came out and said "Where's the masterful dialogue, the drama, the romance?", it would be preposterous.


Um, Zac acknowledged that DB isn't "deep". His argument is that DB: E couldn't even deliver with on a "leave-your-brain-
at-the-door" level.

Quote:
Yeah, I'll waste my life defending this film,


Does that mean you're another studio plant? Razz

Quote:
But, acting, dialogue, etc., all STEM from the screenplay, so don't try and separate them, to make it look like theirs more problems than there actually is.


There are more problems, if the studio was willing to
greenlight that kind of a wretched script.

Quote:
We know the film isn't good. Yet, we're giving it a chance contrary to your lackluster, biased, and pessimistic review.


How is his opinion biased? He paid for the movie, at Japanese ticket price values, no less, and he's not even a DB fan. Outside of the ANN connection, he's probably closer to an average Joe reviewer than the people who actually own the series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Paranoia Phantom wrote:
I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, but, the way in which you delivered it seemed pretentious and conclusive. You depict yourself as an elitist, and that your reviews is the be all, end all. Now, I'm not saying that you said that, but you definitely implied it.

Actually, to get Zac's humor in the things he writes, you have to be on the forums long enough to get it, recognize it, and appreciate it. There is truth into what he says, but I did laugh at his review. I don't have to disagree with it, but I don't have to be an ass about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Shichimi



Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 349
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The whole point, surely, of reviewing stuff is to give your opinion on the product in question. Only a fool would listen to one single source or worse yet one single voice from that source. Reviews are useful indicators, but only if you are familiar with the tastes of the reviewer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Paranoia Phantom



Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, you're one of those people.


Yeah, those who don't bring bias into play when reviewing stuff.

Quote:

Actually, to get Zac's humor in the things he writes, you have to be on the forums long enough to get it, recognize it, and appreciate it. There is truth into what he says, but I did laugh at his review. I don't have to disagree with it, but I don't have to be an ass about it.


I don't think any amount of time spent on here would make him funny.

Quote:

You're making it seem like the reviewer didn't like it because it was "ridiculous, cheesy and weird," which is laughable. In fact, every post you've made so far has made me lawl to some extent.


So...he didn't like it because it was great & masterful? Your arguement doesn't make any sense, just as your "predecessor".

Quote:

Epic.


Yeah, yeah I am.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 17

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group