• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy: Terrible American Tourist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting article, I enjoyed reading about Japan. Anyway, I'm sure Akihabara is going to be a bit...how should I say it? Different maybe? After all, it's like that Otaku Area, right? Anway, it's all very interesting. Try to have a good time Zac.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, it looks like you beat me in going to Akiba, Zac.
I won`t be going till tomorrow.

No comments on the food, kinda surprised?
Yes, i finally got to buy Melon-Pan, it rocks.
I do recommend going to the movies Zac, it`s an interesting experience. Watched 7 Pounds, the whole arranged seating seemed kinda weird to me though.

The cow thing? You dont have to be in a store to experience that, thats everywhere! The train system is great though, can get anywhere quickly to be sure. Hope you add more pics showing what else you`re up to.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
It's not hard to move them, actually. All you have to do is either hand motion your way between them or just say sumimasen and they will acknowledge your presence and move.

So now it's my fault when I'm annoyed that I have to move somebody out of the way to browse the selection in a bookstore? There's something called common courtesy, and these people clearly don't have it. Just because something is a "normal part of Japanese culture" doesn't make it amazing and wonderful and magical.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
LOL

the last picture is the same thing that happened to me. When i was in Book Off i could barely walk through the aisle because so many people were just standing there reading manga.
maichips

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
It's not hard to move them, actually. All you have to do is either hand motion your way between them or just say sumimasen and they will acknowledge your presence and move.

So now it's my fault when I'm annoyed that I have to move somebody out of the way to browse the selection in a bookstore? There's something called common courtesy, and these people clearly don't have it. Just because something is a "normal part of Japanese culture" doesn't make it amazing and wonderful and magical.

It seems to me, though, that the manga cows in the picture have figured out how to do it the right way. It's more logical to stand right by the shelf you're interested in rather than sitting on the floor or crowding the adjacent shelf. Most American manga cows I've seen just sit down and lean against any nearby shelf, thus making themselves more difficult to move.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

I think we're not seeing eye to eye here. You probably have not been to Japan, unlike myself. I'm not saying that I am an all knowing Japanophile, but having lived in Japan for nine years you learn to deal with these kind of things in a Japanese way. I'm not going to say that it's all powerful and amazing and magical as you've referred to in the post, I'm just saying that there is a way to deal with it. And this kind of "behaviour" is encouraged at Book Off. It's a part of their customer service. Remember, Book Off is a USED bookstore chain.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
maichips wrote:
It seems to me, though, that the manga cows in the picture have figured out how to do it the right way. It's more logical to stand right by the shelf you're interested in rather than sitting on the floor or crowding the adjacent shelf.

Actually, it's more logical not to stand in anybody's way and, you know, not be a huge jerk. Especially in a store as crowded as the one in that photo! Just the thought of having to work my way through that nerdy, impervious manga cow mess makes me livid.

fighterholic wrote:
I think we're not seeing eye to eye here. You probably have not been to Japan, unlike myself.

Rolling Eyes You're suggesting I have to visit the country in question to point out rude behavior?

fighterholic wrote:
I'm just saying that there is a way to deal with it.

And I'm saying it's ridiculous that I should be the one that should have to deal with manga cow herd's self-indulgence, rather than them taking the smallest effort of common courtesy.

Last edited by Cloe on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
K.o.R

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
The "random moe arcade thing on the left": The picture was of the two heroines from Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Zac Bertschy wrote:
NNNNYYYYAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAGGGGGGGAGAGGGGGGG

THE ABYSS, IT STARES BACK INTO ME

Hey, it's your first trip to Japan and hence a real chance for you to find out what average japanese (not Akiba-kei type) *really think* about shows like KnJ Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Rolling Eyes You're suggesting I have to visit the country in question to point out rude behavior?

It comes from a matter of perspective. That is your perspective, and I have my perspective.

Cloe wrote:
And I'm saying it's ridiculous that I should be the one that should have to deal with manga cow herd's self-indulgence, rather than them taking the smallest effort of common courtesy.

Can you suggest to me what they can do then about their "behaviour" that is encouraged by the store itself?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow so now you've really experienced Akiba. The KNJ thing was funny. I agree though I would like to see what the non otaku think about those sorts of things.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
maichips wrote:
It seems to me, though, that the manga cows in the picture have figured out how to do it the right way. It's more logical to stand right by the shelf you're interested in rather than sitting on the floor or crowding the adjacent shelf.

Actually, it's more logical not to stand in anybody's way and, you know, not be a huge jerk. Especially in a store as crowded as the one in that photo! Just the thought of having to work my way through that nerdy, impervious manga cow mess makes me livid.
There is nowhere else to stand though. It isn't like B&N where there are chairs to sit down in so it is accepted behavior to stand as close to the shelves as possible to keep the isle clear. And it isn't hard at all to get them to move out of the way. Usually just having a presence will cause them to make room for you to pass through.

Last edited by bayoab on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I now have an image of Zac as a morally righteous and responsible otaku that do justice to caution the healthy community.

OR

behind the facade lurks the smile of a harmless perversion. Wink
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I don't know, it just looks like the group would kind of make it hard for anyone else to actually... you know, look at the books.

Not everybody in that bookstore is an otaku (on that picture maybe oO) and they're usually pretty polite. Sometimes they move on their own as well and they apologize when they blocked your way ... sometimes =) Depends on how absorbed they are by their book (+ plus the music in the store is pretty loud as well, you don't necessarily realize somebody waiting behind you to access a shelf).

Plus, they're not noisy, sitting on the floor, talking aloud in a group about how this two bishonen would make an awesome pair and they don't destroy the books .... they are still pretty different from the "manga cows" I know from Europe ^^;

Last edited by maaya on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
boznia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't read the sign, but a picture of Columbo. Hmm...

Also, I notice the Obama/Kerry lovechild's American flag is backwards. While I don't expect that detail to be common knowledge in Japan, it's still humorous to see.

Thanks for the pictures, Zac.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22