• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Superstars Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:47 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

I hope the DS is like the Gameboys of the past were it doesn't have the US only lock on it. If it doesn't, atleast I can import it.

Nope, the DS is completely region-free.

Which means you can import all the neato Japan-only titles that've just come out, like the new WarioWare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:40 am Reply with quote
Steve: FYI, I talked to him at BAAF.
Izlude

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:56 am Reply with quote
Wait a sec...City Hunter and Fist of the North Star were Jump titles? O_o

Hmmm this title will probably be released stateside to cash in on the Shonen Jump game.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:06 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steve: FYI, I talked to him at BAAF.

I'm sure you did Gatsu, I'm sure you did Wink
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:09 am Reply with quote
... wow, Death Note. And to think in the last thread I was joking around over Shonen Jump videogames saying that if they ever put Death Note into one, I'd HAVE to buy it to laugh myself silly.... Looks like I'll be buying this one.

Anime hyper Looks like Light gets to attack with his Shinigami, though I've never seen the shinigami get violent. This will be VERY intresting.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Hmmm this title will probably be released stateside to cash in on the Shonen Jump game.

Never going to happen. As Wyvern pointed out, this is a legal nightmare. The characters are stretched in so many different directions you'd have to get all of them to agree on the game's release and the terms involved. For example, while Viz technically owns the rights to all of these characters, that's only in manga form, 4Kids and FUNi would have to agree as well since they have the anime rights to certain series. And then Atari would have to be involved as well since they have the exclusive rights to all DBZ games and have Goku in this game would probably violate that (not to mention if they're to add some Yu Yu Hakusho characters as well).

This is the same reason that Bandai has yet to be able to bring over any of their compiled character games like Robot Wars or Sunrise World War. They're all Sunrise character properties, and Bandai owns Sunrise, but that isn't enough to make it possible for them to release games like this in the US.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BOZZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I am still surprised Ichigo 100% characters are in this game... So odd... I guess her moves might be a panty flash or throwing stories/books at people (one guy said this on another board I visit)....

I wonder if they might even include Eye Shield 21 characters, some of the characters from that series would definetly fit in a fighting game of this sort...
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Erm...just a guess but...

I'm assuming since they announced not-as-hugely-popular titles Death Note, Ichigo 100% and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo that they will most likely only include RUNNING Shounen Jump series, plus DBZ because it was so popular...

Although I am wondering how Raitou and Aya are going to fight as well...Perhaps it takes Raitou ten seconds to write in a name, resulting in a 1-shot KO? Sure hope not. Or maybe Aya flashes someone, causing them to be petrified in awe?

I am hoping that Shonen Jump USA doesn't try to bring get Nintendo USA this game over, although I do think it's possible. They would obviously have to try to influence anime companies to license all of those series...Tho the main check to that is Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo because that's too weird for more dub-lubbin' rabid Amerime Oh-Tack-Oos. (Or Nintendo USA could jsut cut out the Death Note, Ichigo 100%, and Bo-bobo, but then, you see, I'd have to kill them.)

Does anyone have that poster that allegedly shows Rukia in this game??
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:21 am Reply with quote
(*clears throat after laughing in joy*)

Ahem. Well, if it's a Super Smash Bros. type game with nothing but SJ characters, I can certainly say I'll always be picking a Kenshin character. Anime hyper

But sadly, I don't have a DS nor am I looking to get one anytime soon... Anime cry
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:15 am Reply with quote
Maybe an American version of the game can come out here, and only have characters from US Shonen Jump. Couldn't all the companies that own the rights to publish games based on certain series simply license the characters for this game or something?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:49 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Maybe an American version of the game can come out here, and only have characters from US Shonen Jump. Couldn't all the companies that own the rights to publish games based on certain series simply license the characters for this game or something?

Read Emerje's post.
tebalith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
I'm assuming since they announced not-as-hugely-popular titles Death Note, Ichigo 100% and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo that they will most likely only include RUNNING Shounen Jump series, plus DBZ because it was so popular...

Well, Death Note is hugely popular. Insanely popular, if my impression is right. I tend to check amazon.co.jp's rankings when a new volume is released, and DN seems to be in the top ten quite a lot, even reaching the #1 position impressively often.
I don't know about Bobobo[...] and Ichigo 100%, but they don't appear to be unpopular either. So... in this aspect, it makes sense to use these series.
But I never thought of Death Note or of Ichigo 100% as candidates for a beatm 'em up. On the other hand, that makes the whole thing interesting. Anime hyper
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:50 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Just using US Shonen Jump characters would still be difficult. Look at it this way, if the game only used DBZ, One Piece, and Naruto, your looking at Nintendo, Viz, FUNimation, 4Kids, and Atari all needing to agree. Add more titles to the mix and you're spreading things even further. Add Fist of the North Star like people have suggested and both Gutsoon! and Manga Ent. would have to be included. Add Houshin Engi and ADV would need to be involved. Add Ultimate Muscle and Bandai would want part of this as well. It's an ugly scene with no way of getting all of these companies to work together on a single license. If Nintendo was really being smart about this they'd make an English mode for the game as sort of an incentive to get people to atleast import it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saouri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:17 am Reply with quote
I just want to know about the images...
In the Magic Box's link i can't see it.

And a little cuestion...what is Boboboubo Boubobo? I've read it' a manga, maybe will be adapted to anime?

Tnxs for answer.

Saouri, from Venezuela.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cyrax777

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:28 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Say what? BO-BOBO!!!

I am so importing this game.

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo > all.

he better have nose hair based attacks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3