• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Los Angeles-Based Tokyopop is Hiring Manga Editor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Howabout firing DJ Milky or whatever Mid-Life Crisis monklier is at the moment? Most of the company's problems could be attributed to his pet projects and bad editorial choices.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
I seriously would not work with them, not because I disagree with how they do things (which I do), but because of the bad stuff they've done to their employees several times in the past.
DPX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
^^^Agreed

Plus, given how well they've been doing the past year *cough*, makes you wonder how secure ANY job with them actually is...
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Weren't there editors amongst the groups they laid off?
Why aren't they contacting them?
Do they expect hiring off the street to save them?
Their rep is pretrty damned low at this time. I am highly reluctant to buy any new titles from them & the few I have (Demon Sacred was it? because of the author) seem to be delayed or cancelled before they even hit the streets.
They are reluctant to go with titles longer than 7 volumes (as they said at comic-con awhile back), so why does Viz & Del Rey do ok with titles that run longer than 7 volumes? CCS was longer than 7 volumes. Hells bells, Gravitation was longer than 7 volumes. The problem with 2 & 3 volume titles is they barely seem to get the story going before they're over. Yes, GTO got thin in a few places & I never thought Dragon Knights was going to end, but we made it up to around 25 volumes on both titles. They need to focus on good stories & not just the shortest stuff they can find.

Maybe their best change is to rebuild their fanbase by finishing titles they've abandoned, or committing to finishing everything they start now. It's just sad to see what they've turned into when the whole popularity of manga in the US is really thanks to their willingness not to flip titles in the early part of this decade.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I seriously would not work with them, not because I disagree with how they do things (which I do), but because of the bad stuff they've done to their employees several times in the past.

I agree. They treat their employees like shit.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd work for them if they'd greenlight some more novel translations. I was ecstatic when I heard they were translating the FLCL novels, and they didn't disappoint with those. I'll agree though, they have sunk pretty far down in recent years.

Like 99.99999% of everyone else here though, I have zero experience in the "comic or manga" industry, and I'm not fluent in moon speak. Who do they think they are going to hire with those qualifiers? Someone that is currently doing the same job would be the most likely answer. Who else is fluently Japanese, with experience in the comic/manga industry?

Just for once I'd like companies to keep it real. "Wanted: Hard working employee that knows their s**t and won't be a liability to the company. Must be willing to learn on the job, and accept our ridiculously low starting pay"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1