• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Discontinues Macross

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:53 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi: Harmony Gold and Animeigo had a license which was already on shaky ground due to the Tatsunoko/Big West legal battle. Until that gets resolved, it seems like we won't be seeing any new Macross products for a while. And actually, Animeigo had the rights since '99, but it took 'em 3 years to finally get the dvds finished.

Tenchi: If they can't afford Macross, what makes you think they could get Ah My Goddess tv? I mean, they couldn't even get Ah My Mini Goddess. I'd say the best they could do at this point is sell the rights to their Macross liner notes to whomever else gets the series.

noriko: If ADV can't hold on to Sailor Moon, they certainly won't be able to keep Macross much longer than Animeigo.

Anyway, it's probably better this way. Whoever gets the rights
now can sell the series at a higher episode count, and will probably put more effort into making Macross available in stores. Plus the legal ownership of the series should (hopefully) be settled by then, making it easier for Macross 7 and Macross Zero to get released here.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:58 pm Reply with quote
It was a suit between Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Nue, not Big West. Big West stayed out of the suit. Read the related news on the Macross encyclopedia page.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough. Anyway, having seen Robotech a while back, I'm too lazy to pick up Macross, even though I know the former's been mutilated. It just isn't worth it to me for a couple unedited scenes here and there, I guess. I just hope that Animeigo can keep UY so I can finish it one day.
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Damn. Only one Macross series for sale in America right now. My hopes of seeing a legitimate, subtitled release of Do You Remember Love? before I die are now the lowest they've ever been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
treatment

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:22 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
It was a suit between Tatsunoko Pro and Studio Nue, not Big West. Big West stayed out of the suit. Read the related news on the Macross encyclopedia page.

hi, there.

I think you got it wrong there. The suit is between BigWest and Tatsunoko.

http://www.macross.co.jp/macross/contents/index.html

enjoy.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They are the evil company that made ADV create Robotech.

Robotech was created a decade before ADV even existed

Quote:
Tenchi: If they can't afford Macross, what makes you think they could get Ah My Goddess tv? I mean, they couldn't even get Ah My Mini Goddess. I'd say the best they could do at this point is sell the rights to their Macross liner notes to whomever else gets the series.

It has nothing to do with afford, and everything to do with HG not liking other people making money off their shows.

Quote:
noriko: If ADV can't hold on to Sailor Moon, they certainly won't be able to keep Macross much longer than Animeigo.

Actually from what I hear Clover, the Japanese Toei division yanked all the foreign SM licenses as they expired, supposedly at some point looking to do it again themselves.

Quote:
Plus the legal ownership of the series should (hopefully) be settled by then, making it easier for Macross 7 and Macross Zero to get released here.

Macross 7 will never be released here for 2 reasons- 1- The music rights cost as much or MORE than the actual series to license. 2- 50% of the fans hate it with a passion. Macross Zero, like many sure-fire hits in the US is in the middle of a rights fight amongst the US companies, and the licensing of it has nothing to do with the Tatsunoko/Big West deal or with HG.

Quote:
My hopes of seeing a legitimate, subtitled release of Do You Remember Love? before I die are now the lowest they've ever been.

The biggest problem is that the US rights to DYRL are owned by some creditor out there to whom it passed when BEST video went kablooie. No one has managed to find out exactly who that is.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I don't know for sure that AnimEigo can't afford to renew it, I just meant that, in a situation where they could just afford it they might still pass up renewing Macross taking into account the opportunity costs if they figure that, if they used that money to get a brand new license like OMG! TV instead, they'd likely get more money back from that expenditure since no one in North America has OMG TV on Region 1 DVD yet whilst a good percentage of the potential audience for subtitled, uncut Macross likely has the DVDs already. Not everyone who would like to own it would have it, granted, but I'd still wager that there would be more potential customers for OMG TV than there would be people who want Macross subtitled but procrastinated or couldn't afford to buy it before.

This is all hypothetical, of course, based on internal numbers practically no one in this forum has seen (and those that have seen them, if anyone, can't talk about them). I don't know that AnimEigo could afford a TV series based on a manga that's a lot more popular, relatively-speaking, in North America now than it was 10 or 11 years ago, when they licensed the 5 episode OVA series, and it's likely that they couldn't afford it, but, for the sake of argument, unless Robert Woodhead confirms it, we don't know for sure they couldn't afford it. And there are other reasons why they might have passed on Adventures of the Mini-Goddess, like, at the time, they had just recently acquired the rights to Macross and were in the process of licensing the first You're Under Arrest animated series, and Mini-Goddess is a completely different series from OMG! in tone anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
They are the evil company that made ADV create Robotech.

Robotech was created a decade before ADV even existed

Somewhat true.

Macross SDF: 1982-83
Robotech: 1985-86
ADV: 1992
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Whedon:
Quote:
It has nothing to do with afford, and everything to do with HG not liking other people making money off their shows.

If that were the case, then HG wouldn't have sold Macross to Animeigo in the first place, or Mospeada and Southern Cross to ADV.

Quote:
Actually from what I hear Clover, the Japanese Toei division yanked all the foreign SM licenses as they expired, supposedly at some point looking to do it again themselves.

And that was in spite of the hefty licensing fee Toei was asking for and got from ADV.

Quote:
Macross 7 will never be released here for 2 reasons- 1- The music rights cost as much or MORE than the actual series to license. 2- 50% of the fans hate it with a passion.

1)The band will eventually lose popularity, forcing the record label to start selling at a more equitable price. 2)GT was hated too, and still got released.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:21 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
The successive company picking up the license to it could buy the license from AnimEigo to use AnimEigo's subtitles.

They could opt to do their own subtitles, right?

Kagemusha -- I'm praying FUNimation scores the license for their superior subtitles. Fans could then pressure them to pick up the dub cast that AnimEigo used.

GATSU -- I've been renting Urusei Yatsura from Greencine.com though they are only buying the individual DVD's rather than purchase the box sets. *sigh* I don't know why AnimEigo is selling box sets and individual DVD's they way they are.

Tenchi -- While AnimEigo won't say officially why they couldn't score the AMS movie or Mini-Goddess series, one of the reasons was cost (and that's official). Pioneer (Geneon) has the deep pockets.

Just as well though. I got annoyed with AnimEigo on You're Under Arrest. Apparently, 'Today' couldn't be shown in the subtitles but a couple of times no matter how often it was actually refered to by name. As I mentioned above, I want FUNimation to score AMS TV for the superior subtitles.

As for music rights on the on Macross series, this is a serious problem and it doesn't matter how popular the group currently is. Dark Horse in a recent "Traveler" (Oh My Goddess) couldn't afford the rights to reproduce the lyrics to the Carpenter's songs used in the original. In Kare Kano volume 12, TokyoPop couldn't afford the rights to the lyrics to "You Light Up My Life".

If it is that bad just for printed lyrics, imaging the raping they will request for the acutal songs?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If that were the case, then HG wouldn't have sold Macross to Animeigo in the first place, or Mospeada and Southern Cross to ADV.

ADV is a distribution deal. Totally different from the deal AE had with HG

Quote:
And that was in spite of the hefty licensing fee Toei was asking for and got from ADV.

And before they decided to do this.
[/quote]
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:40 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
kusanagi-sama wrote:
The successive company picking up the license to it could buy the license from AnimEigo to use AnimEigo's subtitles.

They could opt to do their own subtitles, right?

Yes, they could if they want.
Fory-san

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:32 am Reply with quote
I noticed there seems to be some confusion on here over the Macross/Harmony Gold/AnimEigo deal. As one of the avid Macross fans whose followed the fiasco from the beginning, this is the basic lowdown:

Despite the legal troubles that are going on in Japan, Harmony Gold (like it or not) own the rights to Macross TV in America since it was the first series they used to "create" Robotech (along with Southern Cross and MOSPEADA). They gave the rights to the series over to AnimEigo for a short term contract in 1999. On December 31st, that contract expires and AE can't renew the contract because HG is charging more $$$ for it. Now, this can have two outcomes.

1. ADV is now releasing HG/Streamline's properties (including Robotech and uncut versions of Megazone 23, Southern Cross, and MOSPEADA). They could just toss the rights over to ADV.

2. In the worst case scenario, in order to support Robotech (ack!), they'll sort of "deny" the series even existed and shove it back into the dreaded vault.

Like with everything Macross, we'll just have to wait and see. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Fair enough. Anyway, having seen Robotech a while back, I'm too lazy to pick up Macross, even though I know the former's been mutilated. It just isn't worth it to me for a couple unedited scenes here and there, I guess.

Uless you have reen ADV's Robotech Remasterd,Macross is worth a look just to see what was left on the cutting room floor.and there are alot of unedited footage in Both macross and RR. But to Macek's credit, he allowed as much adult content as he can possibly get away with, when airing Robotech back in the 80's hell, i couldn't say the same for Voltron. Twisted Evil Actually i prefer Robotech Remasted over the Macross series, the english dub is very good and the "doctored" storyline (tying 3 unrelated series into one was creative on Carl's part.) wasn't bad for that era either.
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Macross 7 will never be released here for 2 reasons- 1- The music rights cost as much or MORE than the actual series to license. 2- 50% of the fans hate it with a passion.

There are Macross fans who hate Macross 7, but your 50% claim is simply exaggeration. Macross is probably the most popular mecha continuity outside of Gundam, and mecha is still a staple genre of anime. There is the appeal of transformable mecha (fighter jets no less) and an expanding fan-base for Jpop and JrocK music. Add to that the fact that licensed anime is not marketed only to established fans. Of course it would be licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3