• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Discontinues Macross

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The biggest problem is that the US rights to DYRL are owned by some creditor out there to whom it passed when BEST video went kablooie. No one has managed to find out exactly who that is.

Maybe your best chance is go to Mexico, watch Locomotion (an Argentinian alternative animation channel) and watch Macross DYRL with Spanish dub (althrough does have the Original Japanese audio) Smile
jstillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:57 am Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Damn. Only one Macross series for sale in America right now. My hopes of seeing a legitimate, subtitled release of Do You Remember Love? before I die are now the lowest they've ever been.

Actually is showing up as the license expired aka "Unlicensed" anime download sites now.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually is showing up as the license expired aka "Unlicensed" anime download sites now.

Most people don't even know it's licensed, because none of the anime companies have it.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It isn't licensed in the US. Obviously it's licensed in Mexico, but what about other places.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yes, it is licensed in the US, and has been for virtually 20 years

BEST Video owns the rights to it, and it was released as "Clash of the Bionoids", I believe they released another version under a different name. The point is though, that they still have that license, and it now belongs to some creditor or another and no one has tracked it down yet. There was some noise that Harmony Gold had acquired it and it'd be released this year, but never panned out.
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've kinda put it next to Angel's Egg, The Belladonna of Sadness, and The Adventures of Hols, Prince of the Sun in the "Can probably learn Japanese in the time it takes to wait for a subtitled DVD" list. Not that it'd be worth it just to watch a couple movies, but I'm learning the language anyways (for various reasons), and it's a nice perk.

Quote:

I've already seen it several times. I just want a real copy - my VHS fansub is rather poor quality that doesn't do justice to the amazing visuals, and it will probably wear out in a couple years besides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jstillion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just want a real copy - my VHS fansub is rather poor quality that doesn't do justice to the amazing visuals, and it will probably wear out in a couple years besides.

I agree with you, I just purchased the 3 boxsets of Macross, even though it will proable show up via unlicensed anime very soon. I buy everything I can and I don't intentionaly download licensed anime. I have over 156 + dvd's of anime that I have bought over the last 5-6 years (and just picked up the Excel Saga box set just recently).

I love robotech and reading this threed and doing research opened my eyes. I never knew that robotech was based off of Macross, Southern Cross, and later. I hope ADV does release the later two other series like the sailor moon uncut / subtitled only.

Do you rember Love has several sites that say Best Video licensed expired... I hope it's not licensed. Does any one know for sure?
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Kiseki in the UK did put out an official, licensed NTSC version of DYRL.

The subs were done with a closed caption box, and they suck, but it's legit Smile
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:28 pm Reply with quote
ROCK!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

EDIT: They haven't updated their site since 2001. I'm getting worried.

Sword of Whedon, how's the video quality? I'd be willing to get a DVD with crappy subtitles as long as the video is sharp and the colors are bright. But I don't want to buy something that looks terrible.

Anyways, it couldn't be worse than Kino Video's subtitles for Love and Pop - which, I shit you not, contains the line "WTF"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sword of Whedon, how's the video quality? I'd be willing to get a DVD with crappy subtitles as long as the video is sharp and the colors are bright. But I don't want to buy something that looks terrible.

I dunno if they ever did a DVD of it. I only saw the VHS.
Video quality was OK, honestly they are/were a crappy company, but I know for a fact there is a licensed version in English Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3