• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-20]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Okay guys. If you read the last 8 pages (which I have done because I am a lazy procrastinator in real life), you would see that everyone already addressed the Toradora! issue, and Brian has already told us that he only watched the first episode when he wrote the article. It was a first impression. He didn't know there was more depth, so he probably thought that it was going to stay the same for most of the show. A simple mistake.

However, he does know what he's talking about... At least, most of the time. The statement about Toradora! was off-topic; thus, if he omitted that out, then most of the answers he gave would be acceptable. Again, I said most. I am aware of the light novel demographic arguement in this thread.

Also, I think someone just tried to insult ANN by using this Answerman article! Wonderful work! Just so that the person knows, the staff actually do watch anime! A lot, really. They actually discuss about anime and have worthwhile things to say! Chicks on Anime, anyone? Yeah, they talk about anime. They have some great discussions too! Also, anime is sold on the market, and the market has issues! Connection? Plus, the news articles are worth reading when you actually want some news!

Yeah, I'm not adding the "@(insert username here) because I don't really want to.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Good looking older shows:

I am plowing through Yurusei Yatsura on Netflix, currently in the episode 40-48 range.

Some of the animation they pull off is quite stunning. The first year was pretty choppy, but the second year, wow, money makes the difference. There are fluid shots and angles that I have not seen attempted with even the best CGI help recently. Still the character designs are 80's but the flow of the scene I have not seen duplicated on any recent TV anime.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
Unbelievably weak argument. The difference here is that he is supposedly an anime expert. When the guy runs a column called "Answerman" and doesn't know what he is talking about, I really don't feel inclined to read anything from him again.
Speaking of weak arguments...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Most consensus I encounter among seasoned fans about Toradora run along the lines:

"Good series. Didn't live up to its potential, though. I wish they had gone with a less cliche pairing...."

"I liked it, but I'm not ecstatic about it. 8 out of 10 for effort...."

"It started off well, but I've come to feel that the scripting is rather weak. The series has a strong set of characters, which is more than can be said for many 'school anime,' and I think that the characters are being let down by some poor scripting."

Basically, great start but didn't live up to the potential of the early episodes, thus keeping it just in the realm of good.
(Kinda how Gatsu probably feels about WALL-E. Laughing )
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Not entirely sure why I'm doing this, but I thought I'd through my two cents in about Giant Robot shows.

I always find it wierd and slightly disconcerting whenever anyone asks if a genre is "dead." This seems to be something which is limited to anime and gaming fans. I don't hear movie fans complain about how horror is dead or how mystery is dead or how drama is dead. All of those genres have been around a lot longer then giant robots.

Second, no giant robot shows are not dead. To be honest, they won't die until the war epic or the coming of age story dies. Considering the war epic dates back to Greece and the coming of age story dates back to Charles Dickens (arguably you could say King Arthur here), I doubt your going to see the end of teenage boys finding giant robots hidden in underground bunkers in secret laboratories.

Now personally, I have a short list of what I consider great giant robot shows (RahXephon, VOTOMS, Macross, Evangelion, the first season of Code Geass.) But as long as there's a type of story which can have giant robots added to it, I doubt the genre is going anywhere.

On a side note, I'm not entirely convinced giant robot shows are a genre per se. Although I'm sure people would disagree with me.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Most consensus I encounter among seasoned fans about Toradora run along the lines:

"Good series. Didn't live up to its potential, though. I wish they had gone with a less cliche pairing...."

"It started off well, but I've come to feel that the scripting is rather weak. The series has a strong set of characters, which is more than can be said for many 'school anime,' and I think that the characters are being let down by some poor scripting."

There are so many things here that I strongly disagree with that I don't know where to start, so I won't. All I'll say is that these statements are definitely not the consensus amongst the "seasoned fans" around this site who have been watching it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

I am plowing through Yurusei Yatsura on Netflix, currently in the episode 40-48 range.

Some of the animation they pull off is quite stunning. The first year was pretty choppy, but the second year, wow, money makes the difference. There are fluid shots and angles that I have not seen attempted with even the best CGI help recently.

Actually, as any old-skool Urusei Yatsura fans know, it's not the money - it's the change in direction. Laughing
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Urusei Yatsura

What is kinda funny, is I opened up another browser to Neflix to double check the spelling the last half of Urusei, nevermind I got the first part wrong. Still, fluid pan shots and zooms from angles you just do not see anymore. I am making a list of episodes to pick up, I can not afford it all.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:00 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Lol. There's no way they could have had a pairing that WASN'T cliche. The guy could have ended up with:
the tsundere
the classmate he was pining for
the beautiful idol who transfers to his school

Yeah, Minori might be slightly less of a cliche, except that she's the one he's after from the start, and it might not be cliche exactly, but it's at least as common as the other two options. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

There are so many things here that I strongly disagree with that I don't know where to start, so I won't. All I'll say is that these statements are definitely not the consensus amongst the "seasoned fans" around this site who have been watching it out.

It's the consensus of this fan and the consensus of any fan willing to admit there are flaws in a show they like and not just fans blinded by the "lovulovu" aspect of it all. Toradora had a great start, one that made me think "my god there's actually a tsundere anime that's bearable to watch?!" It went in all sorts of different directions and actually created complex and interesting side characters something most shows of its genre won't do outside of the core couple. However its downfall lies in its namesake "toradora." You see it's almost like the writers got so tied up in coming up with something different and new and exciting in the tsundere romance comedy that someone had to come in and tell them around episode 18 "hey guys, the tsundere is supposed to end up with the lead guy what are you doing?" So in a desperate feeble, rushed, poorly written attempt to reroute to the cliche ending they had to sink all the ships beside the main one and have the dolt of the male lead have a last minute epiphany to make this all work out. There was no care or delicacy given to it and what you're left with are dead end well developed side stories that were swept aside and burnt up to make room for the ending that was "supposed" to happen, and that my friend is the main drawback of toradora that keeps it from being great and leaves it being only good.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
maaya wrote:

Satoshi Kon's (...) works

At least two of those are based off of previous material: Tokyo Godfathers is based off on an old John Ford movie, and Paprika is from a novel. To my knowledge, however, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, and Paranoia Agent are all original.

I think the writer meant recently, though, so some of those examples aren't helpful. But thank you for giving props to Kaiba, that series needs more attention.

I have to say that you made mistakes on Satoshi Kon's works. Perfect Blue is based from a novel by Yoshikazu Takeuchi. Tokyo Godfather is not based directly from John Ford movie, but it's safer say that "Tokyo Godfathers" was inspired by John Ford's "3 Godfathers" movie.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Key wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It's the consensus of this fan and the consensus of any fan willing to admit there are flaws in a show they like and not just fans blinded by the "lovulovu" aspect of it all.

I tried to avoid reading too much of your post, as I didn't want to have the ending of a potentially interesting series spoiled. But I will simply say that from those sentences alone, your post reeks of arogance. If someone has a different opinion than you, somehow they are automatically blind?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:37 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

and that my friend is the main drawback of toradora that keeps it from being great and leaves it being only good.

I thought it was Ep #19 that broke the camel's back, like this guy who started out enjoying with high expectations for the series but ended up having to lower them. (He samples pretty much most series each season for more than a decade - and no, he doesn't watch fansubs. Laughing )

Quote:

Okay, my point after all of this venting - the Writers didn't have to get to
this point in the story via such a brain-dead approach. They could have
written something where the characters didn't act like idiots and where
everything didn't have to depend upon coincidences. And they still could
have gotten to the same place.

There is no excuse for such lazy writing.
Tu101uk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Anime that never had a manga, novel, or game before it? Has everyone forgot Tenchi Muyo, Ryo-Ohki OVA then?

Sadly, for a series that is my absolute favourite, it COMPLETELY slipped my mind... T.T

I must be getting old... Or my memory really sucks (which it does Anime hyper)...

O-O~
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:47 am Reply with quote
I watched Toradora loyally up until episode 18, but then decided that it just wasn't worth my time anymore and gave up on it. It seemed that the romances weren't going anywhere, they would take one step forward then immediately take one step back, which was frustrating. I wasn't getting any sense of anything changing in an interesting, intriguing way. I thought the comedy wasn't good enough to compensate, so I just quit altogether--and I very seldom give up on a series which I'm more than halfway through.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11