• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise: Keanu Reeves' Enthusiasm Clinched Cowboy Bebop Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
After Speed Racer and Dragon Ball, I really hope this doesn't turn badly. Though the fact that there is some quality control does make me think this movie won't be as horrid as Speed Racer or Dragon Ball.

I'd be more happy if this had Watanabe apporval on this though. Seriously, Dragon Ball was beyond horrid and one would have to have massive amounts of sugar to watch Speed Racer without turning it off within ten minutes.

I have a feeling Sunrise won't let this be another failure though. Especially if the script isn't bad.

as has been said time and time again in this thread, Wantanabe will be the first to read the script, so if that's your major qualm set your mind at rest.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
After Speed Racer and Dragon Ball, I really hope this doesn't turn badly. Though the fact that there is some quality control does make me think this movie won't be as horrid as Speed Racer or Dragon Ball.

I'd be more happy if this had Watanabe apporval on this though. Seriously, Dragon Ball was beyond horrid and one would have to have massive amounts of sugar to watch Speed Racer without turning it off within ten minutes.

I have a feeling Sunrise won't let this be another failure though. Especially if the script isn't bad.

as has been said time and time again in this thread, Wantanabe will be the first to read the script, so if that's your major qualm set your mind at rest.

Well if that is indeed the case, then maybe this movie has a chance to do well.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
One thing's for sure. If FOX is considering rebooting Fantastic Four to be more TDK'ey, then they'll have to do a better job on Bebop. And Sunrise will definitely not want another DB: E on its hands.

JesusOtaku: Edward=the girl-playing-the-boy in CJ7.

rainbow: Reeves played a corrupt cop in his last flick, so disgruntled bounty hunter shouldn't be that tough for him.

Wrial: Just make the dog CG. Wink

RedTail: Oh, Akira will definitely suck. Rolling Eyes

yojimbo: I'm still optimistic on Astro Boy and Blood. Not sure about the rest.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Speed Racer was an extremely fun movie that was pretty true to its source material, it was just given some neon steroids. The live-action Cowboy Bebop would be lucky to be that faithful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
As soon as I read this I tried to picture Keanu Reeves being enthusiastic about something, but I'm coming up with nothing. I can only see this as a good thing since he may actually be able to show emotion in this movie.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't mind seeing Ving Rhames as Jet. Cool
Afax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:

After Speed Racer, The Legend of Chun Li, and reviews on Dragonball: Evolution- the "complainers" have a right to be pessimistic. It's people like you who swallow hook, line and sinker everything the studios throw your way that keep them in business despite the mediocre product they continue to churn out!

Speed Racer was extremely faithful to the TV series, and to the anime medium in general.

If anything, Speed Racers failure will ensure future producers will americanize their anime adaptations as much as possible.
Ghiblix2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering how the hell they are going to even pull this off to any quality that even remotely resembles the anime. They said Watchmen was impossible to film but really Cowboy Bebop sounds even more difficult.

He sort of looks like Spike but I'll be so amazed if this turns out any good.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ghiblix2 wrote:
I'm just wondering how the hell they are going to even pull this off to any quality that even remotely resembles the anime. They said Watchmen was impossible to film but really Cowboy Bebop sounds even more difficult.

He sort of looks like Spike but I'll be so amazed if this turns out any good.

Well, in regards to something like Watchmen, being filmed is stupendously easy to do, however capturing the spirit of the source material is the hardest part to do. Cowboy Bebop just needs gun battles and kung fu and a fairly close to the show script to do just fine.

However, since Keanu can only emote to the level of "WHOA", capturing Spike's smugness is probaby quite beyond him. But since he knows kung-fu, its almost a guarantee he wil be Spike.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Keanu hate is really out of place honestly. In my mind he did a good job in one of the best anime-influenced films out there. And the fact he is enthusiastic about this makes me think he may just do a good job here.

Sure, he has some movies where he didn't fit in the cast, and this may be one of them but I think he'll do as good of a job as he can and if everyone else brings enthusiasm to it there is no way it will turn out worse than this DB film which obviously didn't have anyone working on it who really cared at all. Most of the actors it sounds like had never even heard of DB based on what I've heard of that. Having the lead role in the hands of someone who likes the source material here I think is very important.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
Wrial Huden wrote:

The movie should focus on Spike, Jet, and Faye. There's no way they'll leave out Faye; there's gotta be SOME eye candy on the screen.

Would be nice, except that the 1st movie is supposed to be based strictly on the 1st episode (the "Red Eye" episode). At least that's what all the press releases and whatnot have suggested. Granted this is also subject to change before the cameras start rolling. So it becomes a question of how to "mash-up" the Poker Alice story (Faye's intro ep--her actual origin story could not possibly fit into "Red Eyes") into Episode 1 in order to introduce her "earlier" in the movies' story arc, if this is the route they want to go. Can't say i'm envious of those screenwriters who will have to try to do this.

One more thing...to echo a comment from one of the previous "live action Cowboy Bebop" threads, at least 90% of the soundtrack had better by composed by Yoko Kanno and performed by the Seatbelts. Not that the music will make or break this project, but leave it to Hollywood to "score" this thing (i.e. what's the flavor du jour of emo-screamo hard alt rock or hip hop these days?) and it certainly won't sound true to the spirit of Bebop. Wendee Lee went so far as to say that the music is almost like another cast member, and I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who disagrees with that.[/b]

If they go "emo" with the music, I will be so annoyed! They need to use Kanno's music. It's a big reason why I became such a CB fan in the first place. The film would be so wrong without her music.
Razgul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
it's good that sunrise have control over it's live action adaptations. Let's hope that other anime companies that plans on making deals with Hollywood do the same.
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"If the script or the casting is terrible, the live-action film adaptation will not be approved."
Now that would make it so much sweeter.
But then again the Japanese may approve of Keanu because his is indeed a big name (even though that doesn't say a lot for his acting skills).

I'm not worried about the music though. Even if they don't end up taking Kanno on board (which IMO is the likely outcome), in keeping with the original work I trust the studio would at least go for something Jazzy with the occasional rock/country. However, I seriously do hope that they keep the original Tank! or at least do some variations of it. I mean, barring licensing problems, there's just no reason for them not to use such a catchy, distinctive and cool-as-all-hell trademark from the series.

Last edited by nightmaregenie on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:
...and the dog.

They need Ein. Maybe they can hire the Top Dog from one of them Kennel Shows to do the job.

But they need to get someone else to play Spike.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
One thing's for sure. If FOX is considering rebooting Fantastic Four to be more TDK'ey, then they'll have to do a better job on Bebop. And Sunrise will definitely not want another DB: E on its hands.

Except they had nothing to do with Dragonball Evolution. Dragonball is a Toei/Shueisha property.
sdhd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be interesting with the Japanese inputs into making the movie. If the success of Cowboy Bebop is successful then the problem of why Dragon Ball Evalution and Speed Racer flopped is due to the lack of the original creators's inputs/hands-on when those movies were made.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6