• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise: Keanu Reeves' Enthusiasm Clinched Cowboy Bebop Deal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Wrial Huden wrote:
...and the dog.

They need Ein. Maybe they can hire the Top Dog from one of them Kennel Shows to do the job.

But they need to get someone else to play Spike.

I'd actually be willing to watch the movie if a dog played Ein. At least that way we'd see if Fox actually is doing the job right by putting the proper characters in.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Kaio: Exactly my point. They don't want to make the same mistake as Toeisha.
linainverse545

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:30 am Reply with quote
Anything BUT Keanu Reeves!

ROBERT DOWNY JR THANK YOU!!

That's my pick for Spike. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
linainverse545 wrote:

That's my pick for Spike. 8O

Unfortunely, we can't pick the cast. Only Fox can, within reasoning. Some how, because Sunrise has given us no reason to worry (other than Keanu), let's just see how this pans out.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Afax wrote:
yojimboray wrote:

After Speed Racer, The Legend of Chun Li, and reviews on Dragonball: Evolution- the "complainers" have a right to be pessimistic. It's people like you who swallow hook, line and sinker everything the studios throw your way that keep them in business despite the mediocre product they continue to churn out!

Speed Racer was extremely faithful to the TV series, and to the anime medium in general.

If anything, Speed Racers failure will ensure future producers will americanize their anime adaptations as much as possible.

i think the problem with all 3 films is that they "americanized" them. i'm american, and despite my complaints about hollywood, i think they make the best movies in the world. however, what draws me to anime is the unique humor, drama and insight the japanese instill in their works. "americanization" is the last thing i want to hear when it comes to japanese animation and manga.

Last edited by yojimboray on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
linainverse545 wrote:

he doesn't have the perfect look (tall and angular) but, except for that, i can't think of anyone else who'd be more suited. if he was announced to play the part of spike, i'd go see the film immediately without waiting for reviews.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
linainverse545 wrote:

Too old, like Keanu.

I'd prefer James Franco. He has the look and the energy. And he's only slightly older than Spike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Even though this appears to be developing well I'm not sure I would actually go to the trouble of seeing it; I mean if it's just Bebop in live action, what's the point? I think that's where a lot of my personal apprehension comes from; the fact that even if they do a bang up job I've been there and done that. I would be more likely to go back to the original if I wanted to experience it again. For that reason I hope they take a risk and do something to reel me back in...maybe an alternate universe Bebop or something.

Isn't that what they just did with Dragonball? To try and hook people back into something they've probably already read/watched to death, they did an 'alternate universe' version (as even Toriyama called it) to try and make it interesting. And look at how that panned out. Rolling Eyes

And heck, how do we get a good majority of anime, as a Answerman question asked? It comes from manga and light novels. Now, why bother watching the anime when you could just go back and read the original source material. It's about seeing it in a new medium. Yes, the original CB anime is amazing, and the manga adaptations were mediocre, but getting to see it done in live-action, if it's done well, would be awesome.
And count me with those despairing at the Keanu hate. I don't know what the big deal is. I like him.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, this movie is to be based on the "Red Eye" episode called "Asteroid Blues" which is the very first one. Ein doesn't show up until Session 2, Faye until Session 3, and Ed until Session 9, so having them included in this movie would be unnecessary.

Unnecessary maybe, but not impossible. Seems the movie will be a continuation of the Mars Red Eye story, but that can happen even after some of the additional characters showed up. Heck, look at Spike and Vicious' intertwined story - continuations of that main story show up in separate places in the series.

So let's say, the Bebop went to Earth, right? Met the other crew, then when next they passed by Mars, the Red Eye people were waiting for them. See, I already wrote a scenario for them. Laughing

Afax wrote:
yojimboray wrote:

After Speed Racer, The Legend of Chun Li, and reviews on Dragonball: Evolution- the "complainers" have a right to be pessimistic. It's people like you who swallow hook, line and sinker everything the studios throw your way that keep them in business despite the mediocre product they continue to churn out!

Speed Racer was extremely faithful to the TV series, and to the anime medium in general.

If anything, Speed Racers failure will ensure future producers will americanize their anime adaptations as much as possible.

That maybe.

From what I hear from old Speed Racer fans, the movie is true to the spirit of the old TV series. It's just that new anime fans just don't sync with old Speed Racer (really, how many anime fans of today have or would have sit thru the old TV series).

Also keep in mind that Speed Racer is already an Americanized version of Mach Go Go Go. It's already once-removed from Japanese to begin with.

nightmaregenie wrote:
Quote:
"If the script or the casting is terrible, the live-action film adaptation will not be approved."

Now that would make it so much sweeter.
But then again the Japanese may approve of Keanu because his is indeed a big name (even though that doesn't say a lot for his acting skills).

Keanu is one of the ones spearheading to make the production of the movie possible in the first place, so it'll be up to him if he wants somebody else to play Spike.

nightmaregenie wrote:

I'm not worried about the music though. Even if they don't end up taking Kanno on board (which IMO is the likely outcome), in keeping with the original work I trust the studio would at least go for something Jazzy with the occasional rock/country.

Or they could go directly and get the jazz musicians Kanno got her "inspirations" from. Laughing

nightmaregenie wrote:

However, I seriously do hope that they keep the original Tank! or at least do some variations of it. I mean, barring licensing problems, there's just no reason for them not to use such a catchy, distinctive and cool-as-all-hell trademark from the series.

That's actually a high possibility.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

They need Ein. Maybe they can hire the Top Dog from one of them Kennel Shows to do the job.

I'd actually be willing to watch the movie if a dog played Ein. At least that way we'd see if Fox actually is doing the job right by putting the proper characters in.

Hey, if the Underdog movie could be done.... Laughing
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Wrial Huden wrote:
...and the dog.

I admit i can't see why there's so much hand-wringing over "casting" Ein. (i.e. real dog or CGI?) It's not like Welsh Corgis are endangered species, right? The only "issue" i see is getting Ein to hiccup and hop funny (straightforward sound editing and there's where greenscreen or CGI would come in) for the Mushroom Samba adaptation--if "live-actioning" this is even necessary (standalone story not relevant to the individual character stories nor the grand Spike vs Vicious story arc).

Also, to weigh in on Keanu...it's not like Spike Spiegel is a multi-hued palette of emotional range; he usually comes off as quite aloof, and even when he's feeling more intense than that "inside", the facade of cool indifference does a decent job of hiding that. Are we implying that Keanu can't handle an emotional spectrum of, i dunno, two or maybe three shades? This is hardly a full-blown endorsement of the man on my part. I'm just withholding judgment until further notice. Nor do I particularly speak or think highly of his acting resume up to this point, BTW.
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
revilenigma wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Heck, done right and I see this film getting an oscar nomination for costume design. There was a lot of great fashion in cowboy bebop.

no way they would give an oscar to a movie based on a anime.

Well, I did say _nomination_.... not winner.

Hey, show a little pride and ambition! Very Happy Seriously, Whatever costume design genius is able to create Faye's wardrobe in all its gravity-defying glory without it looking overly skanky should get some kind of award.

Unless that whole gravity-defying thing would be classified as SFX and not wardrobe...
nagato316

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
tlsmith1963 wrote:

If they go "emo" with the music, I will be so annoyed! They need to use Kanno's music. It's a big reason why I became such a CB fan in the first place. The film would be so wrong without her music.

Or at the very least, it would be a soulless Bebop adaptation without Kanno-sama's participation. Her unique score was just as much a factor in drawing me into enjoying Bebop as was the action, story, and character development. That diverse and eclectic mix of styles and genres perfectly captures the "uber-multicultural universe circa 2071" feel in a way that neither "typical Hollywood" soundtracking nor straight-up J-pop/J-rock could.

But I am confident in one thing...

nightmaregenie wrote:
However, I seriously do hope that they keep the original Tank! or at least do some variations of it. I mean, barring licensing problems, there's just no reason for them not to use such a catchy, distinctive and cool-as-all-hell trademark from the series.

Even Hollywood's not gonna screw this up. If you lose "Tank!", you might as well stop calling this film Cowboy Bebop. (No fair mentioning it was only used in the trailer for Knockin' on Heaven's Door and not the actual movie. Same director. Same cast. Same music composer. Still Bebop.) Even the Wachowskis knew to keep "Go Speed Racer Go!" despite ransacking everything else in _that_ movie adaptation.

[Moderator edit: Please use the "edit" button in the future, instead of posting three times in a row. Thanks. ~Cloe]
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks that Cowboy Bebop should be pretty good? I know that later on the anime gets deepish, but for the most part imo is just: Pretty women, space fights, fist fights, some jokes and stuff blowing up really nice.

That genre is basically what a hollywood blockbuster is, and nobody makes hollywood blockbusters as good as Hollywood, imo. I feel like if they went for something super heady or overly serious, they'd totally lose the feel of what makes Cowboy Bebop fun.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Wrial Huden wrote:
...and the dog.

I admit i can't see why there's so much hand-wringing over "casting" Ein. (i.e. real dog or CGI?) It's not like Welsh Corgis are endangered species, right? The only "issue" i see is getting Ein to hiccup and hop funny (straightforward sound editing and there's where greenscreen or CGI would come in) for the Mushroom Samba adaptation--if "live-actioning" this is even necessary (standalone story not relevant to the individual character stories nor the grand Spike vs Vicious story arc).

Also, to weigh in on Keanu...it's not like Spike Spiegel is a multi-hued palette of emotional range; he usually comes off as quite aloof, and even when he's feeling more intense than that "inside", the facade of cool indifference does a decent job of hiding that. Are we implying that Keanu can't handle an emotional spectrum of, i dunno, two or maybe three shades? This is hardly a full-blown endorsement of the man on my part. I'm just withholding judgment until further notice. Nor do I particularly speak or think highly of his acting resume up to this point, BTW.

I think if Spike is going to be played like Koichi Yamadera did it, Reeves might be able to pull it off. If it's like Steve Blum, he may not. Yamadera's performance was less intense than Blum's. I liked both Yamadera & Blum in the role, btw. Very different approaches, but both good.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:23 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

So let's say, the Bebop went to Earth, right? Met the other crew, then when next they passed by Mars, the Red Eye people were waiting for them. See, I already wrote a scenario for them. Laughing
If they do that, I will not be watching that movie then. The only way I could accept having the whole crew in a movie would be if they did a new story plot like it was just another episode that wasn't in the series, just like they did with the last movie. But to add them to a story they were not in originally, is a non starter for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6