• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvelous Entertainment Asks for 20 Employees to Retire

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope they're not cutting animators, they get paid peanuts anyway so I doubt cutting these jobs would decrease their outgoings significantly...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I hope they're not cutting animators, they get paid peanuts anyway so I doubt cutting these jobs would decrease their outgoings significantly...

They asked for people to retire but if there aren't enough respondents to the request, then they'll have to start firing people. And that's what Gonzo is having to go through right now.
DPX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Guess they aren't so Marvelous after all, but at least they're asking.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
That's a shame, I like Marvelous a fair bit. Not one of my favorite companies, but they're a name I usually associate with things on the higher end of the spectrum at the very least. =\

It's nice to see they're at least asking, but still...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Although I can't blame people for not wanting to quit their jobs, its nice of the company to ask instead of firing 20 random people.

I really hope those people who are going to retire will find new jobs somewhere else. Hopefully Marvelous Ent. will pull through, it would be a sad if more people had to lose their jobs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
They're marvelous enough to give them a nice golden good-bye, but I hope its pension scheme is adequate. Still I suppose if it can pay off the mortgage, they could always do a bit of freelance to top it up. Wink
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
melonbread wrote:

They asked for people to retire but if there aren't enough respondents to the request, then they'll have to start firing people. And that's what Gonzo is having to go through right now.

Unless Japan does things very differently than the US, they will more likely lay off workers than fire them. Semantics aside, though, I think you're right.
melonbread

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:18 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
melonbread wrote:

I don't see how your reply is anything to do with what I said o_o
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
melonbread wrote:

I don't see how your reply is anything to do with what I said o_o

What I'm saying is if there are other people leaving, then your animators will be fine. But if there are not enough people that leave and they have to start cutting, then your animators will be in danger of being cut as well. No one can be immune in this day and age of the economic downturn that has had impact on a global scale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1