• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chicks On Anime - Representation of Anime Fans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misshope

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
misshope wrote:

I have always thought of you guys as a respectable news site that at least attempts to have some integrity in what you report. But using the word "weeaboo" to criticize something really compromises you guys in my eyes.

Um, I'm not sure where you got that we used weeaboo to criticize something. I said,

Quote:
A while back on the ANN forums, we were considering banning people for using the term "weeaboo." There's a lot of negative feelings associated with that word—both for the people being called a weeaboo, and for the people who are doing the name-calling. I don't think anime fans are at all flattered by this depiction. On either side of the argument. If there are that many negative feelings towards just a word—which was meant to replace another word... how are we supposed to react to this exaggerated, yet disturbingly sincere rendition?

In that quote, not only did I acknowledge how derogatory the word was, I also said that it was not a flattering label, and that that commercial was painting everyone with that negative brush. I was not criticizing people by using that word, I was saying that the commercial insulted anime fans by using that exaggerated stereotype to portray anime fans.

You did acknowledge it's bad. But later it was used by someone else and claimed the commercial was a "celebration" of it and "fan douche baggery". I was surprised that tact was taken at all.

* edit as I just saw the response to this which acknowledges the comment.

I disagree that the commercial was about "weeaboos". That is a label/perception applied to it-not something I think they were intentionally trying to do.

Vic is not someone that's going to be mean to his fans-whatever nasty rumour crap is bandied about-he has always worked hard to reach out to and be kind to his fans. Neither do I think Sakuracon would purposely be mean to their fans.

I think the more logical conclusion-it's a corny/crappy commercial not a statement about fandom.
kanser_in_chaos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Really? People were offended by this? I can see it being a little annoying, sure. But, first of all, all the people who were offended are more serious and mostly older fans, and they already know about the con. And we have almost all been at this point before.

Plus, it doesn't suggest all fans like all these things EVER. Every person said their very own one. None of them say they agree completely. Its basically introducing the different things that you can associate with it.

Plus, cons are full of what you call "Japanophiles". What's so wrong with them? So you don't like it. Are you really that screwed up, that you can't let someone else obsese over a few things and live their own lifestyle, whatever it is, without being douches? They aren't trying to be japanese, they just really like japanese POP CULTURE! It isn't about serious issues. I think you people are the ones TRULY being offensive.

Finally, this will draw in NEW people, it isn't for the same people who are going specifically for panels or anything, really, though these people may find out about them. Honestly, I had 0% interest in listening to people talk about the stuff whenever I could be trying out japanese snacks, seeing shows, being at (my first ever) concert, and immersing myself in all the craziness and stupidity of it. IT WAS FUN!! Maybe some people will see it and think "I like a couple of those things, maybe I'll like going there....". Then, hey, either they mature, or find a fun party.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
If this commercial gets onto regular rotation on some TV channel, I'm going to stop wearing my Gunslinger Girl t-shirt in public.

HA!!!
Smile Very Happy Laughing

By the way, does anyone know when that second season of Gunslinger Girl (Teatrino?) is going to be released in the U.S.? Question
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
These opinions are only mine, Bamboo's and Casey's and do not represent ANN as a whole. And it's not even like we have anything against the con. Heck, I'll even be attending Sakuracon, myself. We were just commenting on an embarrassingly terrible, condescending commercial.
I would like to make a suggestion on a future column to be a follow up of this one, by discussing just what kind of "NEW people" this ad campaign had drawn into this year's Sakura Con. So that anime fans like this one here will see for themselves just how degenerated the anime fandom's collective mentality had become.
kanser_in_chaos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Cloe wrote:
These opinions are only mine, Bamboo's and Casey's and do not represent ANN as a whole. And it's not even like we have anything against the con. Heck, I'll even be attending Sakuracon, myself. We were just commenting on an embarrassingly terrible, condescending commercial.
I would like to make a suggestion on a future column to be a follow up of this one, by discussing just what kind of "NEW people" this ad campaign had drawn into this year's Sakura Con. So that anime fans like this one here will see for themselves just how degenerated the anime fandom's collective mentality had become.

Please, you didn't have to be so derogatory. And what? I said a few years ago that I went to my first con for the fun of it, wanting to be a crazy idiot. Does that make me a terrible person? Now I want to go for the party AND to the panels. Other's can't find out that there's more to it than shows, music, pocky, and sushi?

Of course, maybe the part that you were truly angry about was that I said it is bad to call people derogatory names because they act differently than you or like different things?

Oh, and why does it have to be a "colective mentality"? You people talk about them all being the same "Japanophile", yet you say that all fans must be the same, composed type of person, or they're embarrasing you? No freedom or individuality allowed then? They don't fit your picture of what a person who likes anime should be, so they are out?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:14 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I'm not saying that "weeaboo" isn't derogatory. It is. I just think comparing it to racial slurs is a bit ridiculous.

I want to raise a question here though: Isn't 'weeaboo' supposed to be derogatory? I mean that's kind of the point. I don't really see whats wrong with that though. As far as I'm concerned a weeaboo is somebody who is obsessed with everything Japanese solely by virtue of it being Japanese. As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty stupid. I don't really see anything wrong with being derogatory towards people I think are stupid, be it via a specific term like weeaboo or a more general term like douchebag. Of course there is nothing wrong with liking Japanese stuff assuming you like it on it's own merits. But then you're not really a weeaboo. Just somebody with an interest in certain (or even numerous) aspects of Japanese culture.

kanser_in_chaos wrote:
Please, you didn't have to be so derogatory. And what? I said a few years ago that I went to my first con for the fun of it, wanting to be a crazy idiot. Does that make me a terrible person? Now I want to go for the party AND to the panels. Other's can't find out that there's more to it than shows, music, pocky, and sushi?

Of course, maybe the part that you were truly angry about was that I said it is bad to call people derogatory names because they act differently than you or like different things?

Oh, and why does it have to be a "colective mentality"? You people talk about them all being the same "Japanophile", yet you say that all fans must be the same, composed type of person, or they're embarrasing you? No freedom or individuality allowed then? They don't fit your picture of what a person who likes anime should be, so they are out?

Yeah yeah yeah. Every time someone gets criticized they trot out the old 'don't hate me because I'm different' pony. If we're talking about the same kind of behavior here though, it's not different. It's dumb. There's a major difference. I respect people's varying interests and ways. I don't respect stupid behavior. Being loud, disruptive, annoying, childish, etc at a con is not different. It's stupid. Squealing over how 'kawaii' pocky are to your friend daisuke-chan (aka tom) before 'glomping' a stranger isn't different. It's stupid. If you want to do it, that's up to you. Don't try to pass it off as just 'different' though and don't whine when people point out it's stupid.
kanser_in_chaos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
If you're gonna comment on something I say, at least bother to read. I never said I was one of them. Also, most cons have become a place FOR that, though they have other things, like the more "mature"(though I don't really agree calling it that). They appeal to a wide audience.

Sure, stupid people, fine. But what's so stupid? There not insulting anyone. It is there own community. They're just as bad as any person who looks at the clothes they buy before buying them, has a preference in food or snacks, and talk similarly. Do you relate to a few people? Yes? Then by your definition it makes you an idiot.

I wasn't saying they're different. I was just saying, quit calling it stupid just because you don't like it. There's nothing necessarily stupid. Stupid comes by a case-to-case basis. I'm not one of them. Honestly, I'm not outgoing or friendly enough to fit in with people having fun together like that. They don't hurt or bother anyone. You're just a whiny little CBingFT.

Oh, and the teacher of mine who introduced us to the existence of an anime fandom was both deeply immersed in the subjects, knew a lot of key people on a first name basis, went to panels, and screeched n' glomped. So really, you're just steriotyping. That makes you a hypocrite.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
o.o Wow, what interesting responses I've seen.

People say that we're taking it too seriously, but people are indeed arguing their points on a "non-serious" topic.

I dunno...it seems like it's going both ways to me.

Anyway, I watched the commercial some time ago, and I must say, I thought it was terrible. The first moment I saw it, I immediately thought of the otaku "Stereotype." I thought their 08 AD was a lot better than this one. I kind of left it at that, but the new one left kind of a bad taste in my mouth, I think it was a little too overbearing, and as most have said, "in poor taste."

I couldn't even laugh at this one. More power to the people that found it funny, but I just thought it was awful.

misshope wrote:

If ANN hosts it, then doesn't it in some way represent ANN?

NO.

evilnekohilda wrote:

Now if you want bizarre animu-themed commercials done right, you should watch the Adult Swim "Swimcon" ones (BACK IN THE DAY):

link one
link two

xD These commercials were awesome. I would totally go to a Swimcon if it existed, and it was close to the west coast.

In short, there were a few posts I agree with, DomFortress had to be the one I could share my sentiments with, actually.

If I first saw this commercial as a "NOOB" I still wouldn't use this as my base for going. I would probably check their site, but I'd still hate their commercial.

Reality is, I'm not going due to circumstance. Con isn't on my list.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
I’m not even that much of an anime fan and I eat both sushi AND pocky. You don’t have to put down people who happen to like all three. I like the way it tastes, okay? And you people have the nerve to talk about being stereotyped.
Could you be more specific as to why you like them all so much, aside from the carelessly composed and superficially sounded respond of "it's Japanese"? Because that's hardly worth mentioning due to a lack of effort.
Cloe wrote:
Quote:
Though I'd hope I get no more flak for overstating my case than anyone else in here that agrees with you. I don't think that would be quite fair.

I think DomFortress is also vastly overstating his case, to be honest. Wink
It's good to know that I'm being well received. And thank you for listening. Very Happy
misshope wrote:
You did acknowledge it's bad. But later it was used by someone else and claimed the commercial was a "celebration" of it and "fan douche baggery". I was surprised that tact was taken at all.
Do the anime fans being portrayed by the ad were celebrating and more than willing to go to Sakura Con to you?
misshope wrote:
I disagree that the commercial was about "weeaboos". That is a label/perception applied to it-not something I think they were intentionally trying to do.
Then could you specify just what do the anime fans being portrayed by the ad looked like to you?
misshope wrote:
Vic is not someone that's going to be mean to his fans-whatever nasty rumour crap is bandied about-he has always worked hard to reach out to and be kind to his fans. Neither do I think Sakuracon would purposely be mean to their fans.
That's because the ad was targeting to the anime fans who won't be offended by the negative "Japanophile" behaviors that's being portrayed.
misshope wrote:
I think the more logical conclusion-it's a corny/crappy commercial not a statement about fandom.
Then does this "corny/crappy commercial" makes you want to go to Sakura Con even more?
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
If irresponsible and therefore negative "Japanophile" behaviors at Sakura Con are what you had in mind after you saw that ad, then I think it has done what It was sat out to do.
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
What makes you think that I was even angry? Can't I have an inquiry without me being bias?
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
I'm saying anime fans should start being responsible for themselves. In another word, why the "Japanophile" had to be publicly irresponsible only when it comes to anime conventions? Why not just simply be publicly irresponsible all the time? I will not stop those from pursuing their happiness, if that's what they truly desire for themselves.
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
If you're gonna comment on something I say, at least bother to read. I never said I was one of them. Also, most cons have become a place FOR that, though they have other things, like the more "mature"(though I don't really agree calling it that). They appeal to a wide audience.
But you do go to the same convention with them, and enjoy the same activities and behaviors as they do. For you do realized that anime conventions are becoming a public place for the negative "Japanophile" behaviors.
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
Sure, stupid people, fine. But what's so stupid? There not insulting anyone. It is there own community. They're just as bad as any person who looks at the clothes they buy before buying them, has a preference in food or snacks, and talk similarly. Do you relate to a few people? Yes? Then by your definition it makes you an idiot.
And that's why you'll be there for the publicly irresponsible and therefore negative "Japanophile" behaviors, while I won't.
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
I wasn't saying they're different. I was just saying, quit calling it stupid just because you don't like it. There's nothing necessarily stupid. Stupid comes by a case-to-case basis. I'm not one of them. Honestly, I'm not outgoing or friendly enough to fit in with people having fun together like that. They don't hurt or bother anyone. You're just a whiny little CBingFT.
But doesn't it bothers you to only consider the publicly irresponsible and therefore negative "Japanophile" behaviors at anime conventions as being "friendly enough to fit in"?
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
Oh, and the teacher of mine who introduced us to the existence of an anime fandom was both deeply immersed in the subjects, knew a lot of key people on a first name basis, went to panels, and screeched n' glomped. So really, you're just steriotyping. That makes you a hypocrite.
And does your teacher also has a social life outside of the anime fandom like I do?
Ian the Sax Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
I haven't really been following the conversations in this thread and I might be reitterating something someone has already said but even if the commercial may portray stereotypes that the anime community doesn't support, isn't the majority of the audience that sakura con attracts already know that this isn't what the con is about? I came to my first sakura con as a nine year old kid who had only been exposed to DBZ, Martian Successor Nadesico, and Inuyasha,(This was back when the con was held in the hilton) yet I was after that immersed in the world of anime and came to know more and more about it. Anybody who really wants to understand what the anime community is about will find out for themselves when they meet members of that community. For years there has been an ongoing problem with stereotypes directed at anime viewers. Complaining so ardently about a 30 second TV spot that as a Seattlite I didn't see seems a little bit too much. I understand that people don't appreciate the content of the commercial, but while the commercial doesn't help our image, I think the real problem is the preconception in itself, and as a society we need to change that.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:32 am Reply with quote
Ian the Sax Player wrote:
even if the commercial may portray stereotypes that the anime community doesn't support, isn't the majority of the audience that sakura con attracts already know that this isn't what the con is about?
Not likely, as the convention itself seems to support, condone, and promote the publicly irresponsible behaviorism by the making, broadcasting, and sponsoring of this ad, if you happened to missed it.
I came to my first sakura con as a nine year old kid who had only been exposed to DBZ, Martian Successor Nadesico, and Inuyasha,(This was back when the con was held in the hilton) yet I was after that immersed in the world of anime and came to know more and more about it.
And thanks to this ad, more and more younger North Americans, not just the anime fans, will know about the kind of publicly irresponsible behaviorism conducted by the convention attendees.
Anybody who really wants to understand what the anime community is about will find out for themselves when they meet members of that community.
And when you've seen them once in an anime convention, you've met them all. For that's how the collective mentality of the negative crowd in anime fandom works.
For years there has been an ongoing problem with stereotypes directed at anime viewers.
And it won't be the last time, until the irresponsible and therefore negative crowd of the anime fandom to stop making excuses, and start taking responsibility for themselves. Unless of course, they're planning on changing the entire anime fandom to be just as irresponsible as they are, and shut themselves from the rest of the world because of it. But how's that going to positively and productively promote anime subculture in the future?
Complaining so ardently about a 30 second TV spot that as a Seattlite I didn't see seems a little bit too much.
You lost me there, right around the "I didn't see seems a little bit too much." part. Just what were you trying to say there?
I understand that people don't appreciate the content of the commercial, but while the commercial doesn't help our image, I think the real problem is the preconception in itself, and as a society we need to change that.
Excuse me, but just what is the change that you're proposing? Can you be more specific?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
kanser_in_chaos wrote:
If you're gonna comment on something I say, at least bother to read. I never said I was one of them.

Oh sorry. I must not have read. I especially didn't read the part the part where you said "I went to my first con for the fun of it, wanting to be a crazy idiot." Too bad. If I'd read that it would have been clear that you are not a person who acts like an idiot at cons.

Quote:
But what's so stupid?

I just explained that daisuke-chan.

Quote:
They're just as bad as any person who looks at the clothes they buy before buying them

Makes sense.

Quote:
Do you relate to a few people? Yes? Then by your definition it makes you an idiot.

I'm humbled by your superior logic.

Quote:
I was just saying, quit calling it stupid just because you don't like it.

Why? When did it become bad to point out stupid behavior when I see it?

Quote:
There's nothing necessarily stupid.

There's that damning logic again.

Quote:
So really, you're just steriotyping. That makes you a hypocrite.

No actually a hypocrite is someone who's acts contradict their beliefs. I didn't even mention stereotyping. I believe the generic internet criticism you were looking for was 'elitist'.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:

Now if you want bizarre animu-themed commercials done right, you should watch the Adult Swim "Swimcon" ones (BACK IN THE DAY):

link one
link two

See, these look good and to the point. You can even laugh at it and not feel offended. It feels like you want to go because of the upbeat attitude of the folks in the commercial. Sakuracon's one looks forced and tries to throw every Anime stereotype within the precious few seconds it has. I can even see Vic Mangina also had to whore out his role in Ouran HS Club as well via the Shojo Beat Manga.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
evilnekohilda wrote:

link one
link two

See, these look good and to the point. You can even laugh at it and not feel offended. It feels like you want to go because of the upbeat attitude of the folks in the commercial. Sakuracon's one looks forced and tries to throw every Anime stereotype within the precious few seconds it has. I can even see Vic Mangina also had to whore out his role in Ouran HS Club as well via the Shojo Beat Manga.
Exactly. There is this portion in any anime convention that's about celebrating the anime fandom by being excited about anime as a hobby. But that will be during an appropriate time, at an appropriate setting, and in an appropriate manner within an appropriate segment of an anime convention. Like having an anime dance party setup & approved by the convention in a ballroom & dance hall during downtime. However, the negative behaviorism of being publicly irresponsible for recklessly exploiting the Japanese culture, is not positively promoting anime subculture. Therefore "Japanophile" is an inappropriate behavior at any anime convention.

A people's culture is their ways of life, and the last time I check, the Japanese people aren't being publicly irresponsible for recklessly exploiting themselves. Just why is it that the "Japanophile" are behaving so negatively irresponsible, while excusing themselves for their ignorance and shallowness by saying "it's anime", or even worst "it's Japanese", is completely beyond me. So those "Japanophile" had better explain themselves to people like us, the anime fans, just exactly who they are, if they can. Otherwise don't even bother coming to us, and asking for respect, equality, acceptance, understanding. When they had done absolutely nothing positive to our anime fandom community.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
A people's culture is their ways of life, and the last time I check, the Japanese people aren't being publicly irresponsible for recklessly exploiting themselves. Just why is it that the "Japanophile" are behaving so negatively irresponsible, while excusing themselves for their ignorance and shallowness by saying "it's anime", or even worst "it's Japanese", is completely beyond me. So those "Japanophile" had better explain themselves to people like us, the anime fans, just exactly who they are, if they can. Otherwise don't even bother coming to us, and asking for respect, equality, acceptance, understanding. When they had done absolutely nothing positive to our anime fandom community.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18