• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate...Toradora! is one of those shows that don't start off on the right foot and doesn't get spectacular until about half way through the series when things only begin to heat up. It definitely left us with a spectacular ending nonetheless, especially with the novels having just finished (even though some things were altered).

It was essentially the opposite of To Aru Majutsu no Index if you ask me. Index started off with a bang, and deteriorated afterwards. Not a big coincidence, but both are done by JC Staff...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
"either far too innocent (Syaoran form Tsubasa)"

Confused Oh right, they haven't reached THAT arc yet. It's always amusing to hear people comment on Syaoran (or any of them, really) when they haven't read the later arcs.

As for remakes, well, I'm okay with it if there's a reason for it. FMA had most of the manga un-adapted, so good reason. DBZ's pacing was so slow it made a snail look fast, so good reason (assuming they really are lowering the episode count). Evangelion 1.0-4.0 will apparently have a whole different story as it goes on, so I'm cool with that one. But if someone said they were doing a straight remake of Bebop, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, etc.? Yeah, I'd raise an eyebrow or two.
marzipan.dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
"That dog wants that cookie so bad."

I love that picture.

Thanks!!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nosebleeds didn't come up in the answerfans responses. Maria Holic almost pushed that one into intolerable range for me, but some of the later episodes (the seven mysteries bit) managed to push it into the so exaggerated it's funny again for me.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
In Brian's defense, I had the exact same impression about Toradora from the first two episodes.

A friend of mine had to convince me to keep watching, and I'm glad I did.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Mad props to Ellen for coming up with the bullet heading:

Breasts Are Ubiquitous, Large, And Open For Business I think we have Hooter's new corporate slogan. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that one woman's eye-gouging, brain-stabbing cliche may be one man's treasured trope. Jes' sayin'. Wink
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
My number one annoying anime cliche is no one is dead until their body is confirmed dead on-screen by the cast. Drives me nuts.

Hmm, in responce to the FMP hate, I never really thought about it this way, but maybe that bit of "off-ness" in Chidori's personality is one of the reasons I didn't like the show (in addition to FMP's filler, odd pacing, constant pantyshots, and inability to pick a genre--or even two!--and stick with it). And in that same line of thought, I think that's one reason why I liked FMP:TSR so much more--the slapstick element takes a back seat and Chidori feels more realistic (while Sousuke's cluelessness, if anything, gets worse, but at least some of it is justified and most of it is resolved). I can understand peoples' frustration with these two, but I prefer to overlook those unrealisitc aspects and enjoy the plot and action and (in TSR) the way their relationship actually gets somewhere (it's kind of subtle, but it really does get somewhere).

As for Toradora!, I actually had a similar reaction to Brian. I watched one episode and immediately all the things I disliked about past high-school romance shows I've seen (Bokura ga Ita, Lovely Complex, to name a couple without pulling harem shows into the mix) came to mind, I had something resembling a mild seizure, the throes of which caused my finger to strike the Delete key while the file was selected. Not saying it was terrible and couldn't get better (if it does, by all means convince me to watch it since I'm not watching much right now), but, yeah, I have watched enough romantic comidies to sample the genre and I don't really have the patience for it anymore.

Anyway, now all we need is an anime where a narcoleptic girl rushes out of her house, toast in hand, crashes into the neighborhood boy that likes her, he falls on her chest, she throws him into a trashcan BUT HE CAN STILL STAND, he follows her to school with a banana peel on his head and confesses to her and swears to protect her. His mecha appears from underground and she blushes, her tsundere exterior reduced to a moeblob, and apologizes for her violence and falls instantly in love with him as they ride off into the sunset, only for their mecha to suddenly explode--but that's okay because we see them after the credits roll, the guy missing a leg with her helping him walk. It would sell like hotcakes and you know it.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
My number one annoying anime cliche is no one is dead until their body is confirmed dead on-screen by the cast. Drives me nuts.

Hmm, in responce to the FMP hate, I never really thought about it this way, but maybe that bit of "off-ness" in Chidori's personality is one of the reasons I didn't like the show (in addition to FMP's filler, odd pacing, constant pantyshots, and inability to pick a genre--or even two!--and stick with it). And in that same line of thought, I think that's one reason why I liked FMP:TSR so much more--the slapstick element takes a back seat and Chidori feels more realistic (while Sousuke's cluelessness, if anything, gets worse, but at least some of it is justified and most of it is resolved). I can understand peoples' frustration with these two, but I prefer to overlook those unrealisitc aspects and enjoy the plot and action and (in TSR) the way their relationship actually gets somewhere (it's kind of subtle, but it really does get somewhere).

As for Toradora!, I actually had a similar reaction to Brian. I watched one episode and immediately all the things I disliked about past high-school romance shows I've seen (Bokura ga Ita, Lovely Complex, to name a couple without pulling harem shows into the mix) came to mind, I had something resembling a mild seizure, the throes of which caused my finger to strike the Delete key while the file was selected. Not saying it was terrible and couldn't get better (if it does, by all means convince me to watch it since I'm not watching much right now), but, yeah, I have watched enough romantic comidies to sample the genre and I don't really have the patience for it anymore.

Anyway, now all we need is an anime where a narcoleptic girl rushes out of her house, toast in hand, crashes into the neighborhood boy that likes her, he falls on her chest, she throws him into a trashcan BUT HE CAN STILL STAND, he follows her to school with a banana peel on his head and confesses to her and swears to protect her. His mecha appears from underground and she blushes, her tsundere exterior reduced to a moeblob, and apologizes for her violence and falls instantly in love with him as they ride off into the sunset, only for their mecha to suddenly explode--but that's okay because we see them after the credits roll, the guy missing a leg with her helping him walk. It would sell like hotcakes and you know it.

That's scarily similar to the H-game that was brainstormed up in Welcome to the NHK.
El Oso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If the season finale of Gundam 00 ends with the corpse of Joseph Smith being sodomized

I just spit coffee on myself from laughing so hard. Thank you Brian, you've made my day!
LKK

Quote:
Magical Girls – there hasn't been a good mahou shoujo series in a while, right?

I would argue that Shugo Chara is a good current example of the magical girl genre. One of the best in the genre past or present, in my opinion. It may not be to your tastes which is fine. But as an example of the genre, it's up there with Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura.

Last edited by LKK on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
animepuppy

i'm actuly quite excited for the remake of FMA, Since this time there sticking MUCH closer its manga counter part. Now im not saying the lst FMA anime was bad, im actuly a huge fan of the anime, it just was too far off from its manga counter part, like main charaters that wheren't in the anime where in the manga and characters that where in the anime wheren't in the manga, so sometimes it got kinda confuesing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
Oh, I meant to comment on something else before I got distracted by ubiquitous large breasts that are open for business.

Vis-a-vis David's pet peeve about:

Quote:
I believe too many anime's end a series at the start of the romance. Why does no anime ever have two characters get together sometime before the end? I want to see an anime where two characters fall for each other and then the viewers get to see the characters actually try to be in a relationship

I hear ya. I'd like to see more of this too, being the sloppy romantic slob I am. However, story-tellers all over the world and through the ages have realized that, much like building a tree fort is much more exciting than just sitting in it, the agony/pleasure of wanting two characters to finally get together makes for more interest than watching Harry and Sally settle down into married contentment/bitterness. If a series is only 13 or 26 episodes long to begin with, you're likely to see a lot more of the not-hooking-up until the last second thing.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
Magical Girls – there hasn't been a good mahou shoujo series in a while, right?
Wrong!

The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
That's scarily similar to the H-game that was brainstormed up in Welcome to the NHK.
Although I only spent like 5 minutes on it and am not taking it seriously.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
It would sell like hotcakes and you know it.
The truly scary part is that you're probably correct..... Rolling Eyes
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
It was essentially the opposite of To Aru Majutsu no Index if you ask me. Index started off with a bang, and deteriorated afterwards. Not a big coincidence, but both are done by JC Staff...

Completely agreed with that. It started out to be really interesting and unique. The main character had a really unique power and the premise was interesting. And then they introduced vampires... I pretty much stopped watching it when I saw that episode. I might go back to that series some day but I couldn't deal with it and just stopped.

Brian Hanson, Answerman wrote:
but I am done with teenage romances set inside high school. Maybe it's because I'm still a young guy in my twenties and fully entrenched in the romantic travails prevalent at such an age, and am therefore too preoccupied to feel at all nostalgic for my high school years? Or maybe it's just fatigue...

Fatigue is a good word for that. Sometimes you can watch so many of one type of show that your tolerance and expectation goes down with it and more then often it effects your opinions. Especially if you have a broad viewing habit on anime. Alot of times if I feel tapped out of watching too certain series or genre I often jump back to an older series of a different genre to give myself a break. Alot of times after the break I find myself more refreshed and excited to watch new series again.

Too many school romances? I pop in some Blue Gender for some creep alien violence, GiTS TV series for something more serious then love and cookies or Gurren Lagann for more energy and action and fun. Too much shonen or Robots? I look towards something more normal like a slice of life series like Lucky Star or Azumanga or a Miyazaki film. Too many series where the characters have giant, glassy eyeballs and fabulous hair!?! Eureka Seven seems to fix that for me.

Heck if you really need to shake things up you can go with one of my fallbacks which I call my trilogy: GiTS seasons 1 & 2, Lucky Star, and Yugioh. Yes... Yugioh: japanese version. I don't know why but I find myself going back to it when nothing else seems to work. It makes me laugh, it makes laugh so much I cry, the animation and artwork can be really cool in the good episodes, and it actually has some pretty well made moments where the music and animation can actually make 2 people playing card games seem dramatic. hmm... I'm in the mood to listen to that Nico Nico Douga song now.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7