• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
I have to disagree with Answerman about the necessity of scanlations.

You probably don't need them if what you're after is the popular sort of stuff that gets licensed, but there is a HUGE amount of manga that will never see a legitimate release in English because they're either too niche or have no mass market appeal. If that's the sort of thing you love and you aren't fluent in Japanese, scanlations can be a godsend. I wish some of my favorite scanlation-only titles would get a legit release (I majorly prefer reading an actual book to looking at computer files), but while I'm waiting for some company to pick up Dorohedoro, I'll be grateful for scanlations.
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Doraemon is too massive

In Spain we get the movies every year and the DVDs of those movies get translated in spanish, catalonian, basque, galician and dont remember what else. Doraemon is pretty big here, not as much as in Japan thou.
I have all the tomes they released in spanish.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Anyway, now all we need is an anime where a narcoleptic girl rushes out of her house, toast in hand, crashes into the neighborhood boy that likes her, he falls on her chest, she throws him into a trashcan BUT HE CAN STILL STAND, he follows her to school with a banana peel on his head and confesses to her and swears to protect her. His mecha appears from underground and she blushes, her tsundere exterior reduced to a moeblob, and apologizes for her violence and falls instantly in love with him as they ride off into the sunset, only for their mecha to suddenly explode--but that's okay because we see them after the credits roll, the guy missing a leg with her helping him walk. It would sell like hotcakes and you know it.

I would it buy it in a heartbeat on one condition- the entire series is no longer than 2 half-hour episodes. Behold, the tropes of anime distilled to their essence! Very Happy
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I would it buy it in a heartbeat on one condition- the entire series is no longer than 2 half-hour episodes. Behold, the tropes of anime distilled to their essence! Very Happy
For sure, it would be an OVA or something. That way there's even more reason for style over substance. We'd need the explosions to be really slick, the boobs to look really squishy, and the main character's design to look really forgettable as he's flung at 60FPS into the garbage.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
Breasts Are Ubiquitous, Large, And Open For Business
don't lie people, that would be an awesome world to live in.

I've always wondered why 99% anime series end at the beginning of the romance. I theory is that people find something cute in the stubbornness of the characters. I know I found it cute but then they just drag on and on. For all the flaws,especially the ending, Kare Kano is still my favorite romance series simply because in dealt with the complications of romances instead of the series of awkward moments.

Just wondering, Does anyone else find that anime tends to be more conservative than most other mediums. I'm not saying the stuff is derivative or played-out but it is surprise that to this day we still have anime series that need a random hotspring or beach episode (not that I'm complaining).
Peebs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote
[quote] The Constant Miscommunication - I know that this is a very Japanese thing. I also think that people would have much happier lives if they just TALKED to each other about their interpersonal issues, instead of (a) asking friends and believing a misinterpretation or (b) stressing out about things that never even happened. This is so lame and so common that I'm not going to give you any specific examples. You've probably had enough anyway.[/quote]

Lack of communication is not a Japanese thing. It's more of a Humanity thing. We've all done it, perhaps unconciously, but it's happened nonetheless. If we all communicated, there wouldn't be dysfunctional families, countries at war, abusive relationships, etc. It don't matter none what you do or where you live. We're all humans and despite our being the "superior" race, we still don't communicate with each other.

I'm not disagreeing with the point itself, only with the "this is a very Japanese thing" part.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Harem – these shows need to die, and I need to be the one to swing that proverbial rusty hatchet into the exposed jugular of the “harem” genre. What have we come to as a society, that there is a harem genre? What kind of a just and caring God could allow this?!

Somehow someone with a Mormon background desiring harem titles to die seems wrong. (Hey, I'm related to Brigham Young by marriage 6 or so generations back).
So I would suggest the Mormon God could allow harem titles, possibly in a historical setting if needs be.

I like harem because I almost never like the hero/lead. I like one (or more) of the crew in shonen. I love Vegeta (Goku's an idiot.) I love Faust, but Yoh Asakura is annoying, etc. (there are, of course, exceptions.) So were it not for harem, I'd get no romance. (Hotohori! Yeah! But Tamahome's the "lead")

Quote:
A cliché I only really see in anime is in "anime romance". What I mean by the term "anime romance" is that with few exceptions, they follow the same recipe. At the start of the anime, the two characters will meet and they will have some type of connection. As a side note, if the anime has a multiple guys / girls "harem element" the one who will be the main love interest can be determined within the first episode or two. Either one or both of them will deny this throughout the entire anime, when there is obvious chemistry between the two. They will go through many experiences together and the "there is nothing between us" commentary will be all they say. At the climax, the characters will admit their true feelings to each other and kiss and then the curtains drop. Some example animes include, Slayers Next, Full Metal Panic!, Love Hina.

Isn't that a staple of Romantic comedy? We either get the romance to the point of their admitting to one another they love or we get the romance in place, but there are issues leading to either a new couple or a stronger relationship.
Look at Princess Bride. Do we see them marry? Do we not end with a kiss?
I just watched Bringing Up Baby again for the first time in ages. Do we not start with Cary Grant hopelessly henpecked by a fiancee only to end up with Katherine Hepburn?

Quote:
Is this supposed to be the happily ever after ending of anime? I believe too many anime's end a series at the start of the romance. Why does no anime ever have two characters get together sometime before the end?

That's the place for the sequel.
How many situation comedies on tv have been ruined over the years by allowing the couple to wed & then have a kid?

Quote:
I want to see an anime where two characters fall for each other and then the viewers get to see the characters actually try to be in a relationship. There should be more to the romance element of an anime than just trying to start the relationship; actually being in the relationship should be an element as well.

Like Kare Kano?
Dragonball Z?(Bulma was after Yamcha, but wound up with Vegeta)

Quote:
When Gurren Lagann understood that Kamina and Yoko were a couple they had a chance to proceed and see the relationship develop, but then infamous episode happened.

Gurren Lagann isn't a romance. It's a mecha title so the focus is the mecha.

Quote:
I attribute most of the blame for the cliché to the male lead who is always either far too innocent (Syaoran form Tsubasa),

That would be the "pure" character certain creators are fond of. It's sort of like Tom Sawyer reveling in the pure enjoyment of youth unhindered by the complex motivations of adulthood.

Quote:
incredibly oblivious (Ichigo from Bleach),

I know more than a few gals who consider a large number of guys to be rather oblivious to things romantic.

Quote:
or not tolerable enough for anyone to want him (Naruto from well Naruto).

And thus the perfect "geek/undesirable/even YOU can score a chick) harem hero, right?

Quote:
The part that is usually annoying about the female lead, (Kaname form Full Metal Panic!) is the usual stubbornness she has. Even when there is a male lead that acts on his feelings the girl decides she'll have no part in it. Of course that only lasts until the end of the anime.

Taming of the Shrew is what I think of with most of the gals in denial.
Princess Leia & Han Solo?

Quote:
For harem / triangle setups this can be modified slightly. First, make it less obvious who the main character is going to end up with. A good example here would be in the Air Gear Manga. Next, other characters involved with the love triangle that don't end up with the lead need some light at the end of the tunnel. Far too often they end up so so lonely and broken looking by the end of the show. There is a time and place for good tragedy but when that is not the goal, leaving the Third Wheel character with no positive things to look forward to, leaves the viewer with a bad taste in the mouth. This gripe is assuming both option of the triangle are valid options, and not mere fodder characters. If this other character, who we liked, is represented as having to be lonely and missing out on their one true love, Its hard to focus on the happiness of the successful couple. This can turn what is supposed to be a positive experience into a negative one for viewers. That entire issue could be easily fixed if my first criteria were met. Then there would be time to watch the other characters either become stronger / more independent or find another cool nice guy that harem anime never have.”

Yaoi.
Since it's beautiful boys in love fantasy, the author often sets up a fallback for the other boy.
However, there often is a back-up. Look at Mousse & Shampoo. She may want Ranma, but Mousse is there for her. Hotohori had his wife (& a whole harem, for that matter). ChiChi got Goku, but Bulma got Vegeta. Ceres... not going there, but both the guys win, don't they?

Quote:
“The one anime cliché that bugs me to no end, which I have come to realize recently, is when the characters' personalities and traits (what they actually do) do not match the characters themselves (what a character such as that would normally do). Primarily the "tsundre" type characters.

But isn't that the more heroic side of real life?
Someone who ISN'T a hero can save another person's life, right? Why do we have CPR training? We hear of little kids & dogs saving people's lives.

Quote:
This applies to my most loathed anime, Full Metal Panic!. The military elite teenager (a teenager cannot be a military elite, even if raised for the purpose) is unable to even come close to accurately judging a situation and responding appropriately (which is sad for anyone, especially an elite, in the military) and is lacking in basic common sense.

I'll give you the whole 15-yr-old-pilots-can-out-fly-experienced-pilots-with-twice-the-experience. I protest FMP. I love FMP for the comedic elements, though I do agree it's a strange mix of serious & comedy. The "situation comedy" element is the very funny fish-out-of-water lead knowing all these military things because he's been in battle since he was 6 or 8 yrs old which also means he missed out on being a child & having normal human interactions. A computer geek version of a military guy. Kurtz is just awesome & is a crack shot as his claim to fame in the story. You saying kids can't be assassin-style shooters?

Quote:
Basically, giving a character a trait which it is not possible for a character in such a situation to have, really drives me up the wall... "tsundre" just being the most popular and aggravating example. Other examples include where an actual princess would stoop to flirting and cooking for a commoner (shuffle!),

Cinderella
Slipper & the Rose.
It's a common fairy tale that a commoner COULD perhaps run into the King & make a difference in the world (King & I?)

Quote:
a ninja code of honor (doesn't anyone remember that they were assassins meant to kill people by any means, not honorable warriors?... Naruto et al. should take a page from basilisk, who captured that perfectly, even if it was supernatural).

This is the romantic "honor among theives" "Pirates code" crap popular in fantasy. Realistically by their very nature criminal types would be looking out for #1 (try Slayers & Gokudo for a "team" willing to let the rest suffer). Can't realy ding the Japanese for that.
On top of that, Ninja seem to have been in groups loyal to certain political powers, so there would need to be a certain loyalty/code to that.

Quote:
I'm saying a man with an inferiority complex could never become a superhero. Sometimes personalities simply do not match the characters they have been assigned, and that can spoil an otherwise good anime.”

Until you see that person with that inferiority complex faced with a person needing help that that person wants to save, you can't say that. Look at that actor diving onto the subway to save that guy a week or so back. The victim had no tie to him, but the actor risked his life to save the person.

Quote:
Annatar the Great has issues with narcoleptic anime characters:

I didn't think it was all that big a deal. Does it happen so much anymore? I know it was the rage in the 80's stuff like Project A-Ko.
On the other hand, as a non-morning person, I can relate to the whole punching the snooze one-too-many times & dashing out the door with my buttons mis-buttoned. It actually sort of sets a character if they do it all the time. Most people might oversleep once in awhile & rush to work/school all breathless, but for the offense to repeat speaks fo a certain disorganization to the character.

Quote:
Henry will protect you from clichéd dialog!

Heckle.
Cliche dialog screams for heckling.
"I will defeat you!"
"No! He needs his feet!"

Quote:
This is probably late in coming, but the "mid-season" acid-trip/recap episode in general makes me roll my eyes.

I see the recap as something from the past Japan is just refusing to abandon because re-using the footage saves them time, money, & whatever. In the dark days of my youth when even VCRs did not exist (60's & 70's), the re-cap eas useful for people who came late to a show, or to remind us all of what happened since in those days they tended to burn thru all 30 or so eps, then run repeat eps during the summer.
Video tape & dvds have really eliminated the need for that device, but obviously Japan prefers to keep the practice going. So do western tv shows (at least some do the flashback eps)

Can we blame Dallas for "The season was a dream"?

Quote:
BEN CAN STILL STAND AFTER THIS ANSWER?!?

I'm usually thinking it. Was it Terminator? What do we get to blame for the fighting juggernaut?

Quote:
No Actually Means Yes - A young woman is forced into kissing or more by a man, and initially struggles but then gives up any semblance of control and grows to enjoy it. Think School Days; Motoko's version of "come on baby, you know I love you" never fails, to the point of ridiculousness.

Bronte?
Gone With the Wind?
Calamity Jane?
Too many potboiler torrid romance novels where the gal gets raped but secretly wanted it from the past(I think we've moved past that phase, but I do remember the topic in rape discussions in the 70's--the mixed message of it all)

Quote:
You Don't Have To Do Anything For A Woman To Fall Hopelessly In Love With You

Do you believe in a love at first sight?

Last edited by CCSYueh on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason913

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
In response to the first letter you replied to, the writer of that question didn't ask anything about Pirates vs. Ninjas.
Yes, it's very annoying, but he didn't say anything about it.
[Now that you've been Answerman for a few months, tell us a little about your tastes in anime and manga, so we can know where you come from. What's your favorite anime series? Anime movie? What's your favorite manga series? What is your least favorite anime/manga? What's your guilty pleasure? What do you think about... shounen? shoujo? moe? mecha? magical girls? harem? fansubs? scanlations? the cost of licensed DVDs? etc...?]
No Pirates or Ninjas anywhere!
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:08 am Reply with quote
Heh, I still say that the one cliche that always annoys me is when at the end of an anime/manga (and ESPECIALLY Japanese video games), the hero lectures the villain on how his/her methods are wrong, violence is never the answer, killing is never OK, you should respect people, etc. All this after the heroes just spent the entire length of the series/game fighting, maiming, and killing their way through all those who tried to stop them.

Is it just me or does that not scream hypocrisy?
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:17 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
All this after the heroes just spent the entire length of the series/game fighting, maiming, and killing their way through all those who tried to stop them.
It was self defense Confused It's not like I went out of my way to run my party into every encounter I could.... oh wait >_>
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Brian, thanks for the Toradora! bit. Yes, it's not your kind of show, and your reasons for disliking it were perfectly valid. But you admitted that you were wrong and you apologized; that takes a lot of manliness courage, and I think that was wonderful.

I... I like you. You're a good guy =)
kadian1364

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Heh, I still say that the one cliche that always annoys me is when at the end of an anime/manga (and ESPECIALLY Japanese video games), the hero lectures the villain on how his/her methods are wrong, violence is never the answer, killing is never OK, you should respect people, etc. All this after the heroes just spent the entire length of the series/game fighting, maiming, and killing their way through all those who tried to stop them.

Is it just me or does that not scream hypocrisy?

At least Kenshin was as wise when he said even though he beat Shishio, it didn't prove that Kenshin was right or that Shishio was wrong. Part of why that series was great.

animeboy12 wrote:
I've always wondered why 99% anime series end at the beginning of the romance. I theory is that people find something cute in the stubbornness of the characters. I know I found it cute but then they just drag on and on. For all the flaws,especially the ending, Kare Kano is still my favorite romance series simply because in dealt with the complications of romances instead of the series of awkward moments.

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to mention Kare Kano for the longest time after I read David's complaint in the Answerfans section. Kare Kano is also my favorite romance anime, by a country mile, in no small part to beginning where most in the genre end. It's sublime storytelling and balance of laughter and sweetness really make it stand out.

As for the Answerfan question this week, I'd rather see a remake of a superior quality, popular title like FMA rather than another random video game/eroge adaption that seem to be flooding the airwaves these days. FMA was bold and imaginative, a series committed to maintaining high standards. By constrast, most game/VN adaptions are conservative in scope, predictable in storyline, and cater only to a very small, niche demographic. To me, it's no contest; give me a proven good rather than an army of cheap, smarmy, look-alike adaptions that actually are less original and inspired than this genuine remake.
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Brian, I'm definitely in your camp concerning Toradora! except that my reason for disliking the show are a bit different. I absolutely loathe Taiga. She's a real grade A...well, you know...and this is coming from a die-hard Asuka fan. I like everyone else in the show, but Taiga...ugh.
I like bitchy characters in anime, but when it gets to a point where the girl tells the likeable guy that's he's nothing but a dog, and that he should rot and die, and then asks where her dinner is...well, that's when you've lost me.
It's a real shame though, as Takasu is quite a refreshing male character for a series like this - for one thing, the man knows how to cook his own dinner and clean up after himself. That right there makes him better than 99% of the male leads in these high school romance shows. He's a kind, caring, and self-reliant individual, and I just find myself hoping that the creators of the show will give the guy a favour and let him end up with the pleasantly cheery girl. However, I know that won't happen, he'll have to endure a life of Taiga's abuse. Oh, joy.

Anyway, my most hated anime cliche actually ties into the above - the male lead who is utterly incapable of taking care of himself, has no personality, and relies on his harem of hot girls to do all his cooking and cleaning for him.
Shuffle! was the worst for this, especially regarding Kaede and Rin. You've got a girl who will finish cleaning the kitchen, and then immediately starts cooking again, because the guy was busy upstairs thinking and is going to be hungry. Such hard work, thinking. But when the girl gets sick, instead of looking after her like a decent person would, Rin instead invites his harem of hot girls over to pamper him, because Kaede had the gall to get sick (never mind that she got sick because she was run-down from slaving over this loser) Meanwhile, Kaede gets rewarded with a lovely evening spent sitting all by herself in a dark room.
The whole time I watched Shuffle! I was either yelling at the girls to stop pampering Rin, or yelling at Rin to start being a man and learn to look after himself, instead of relying on a bunch of girls to do it for him.
I mean, the lazy guy with the harem of girls who do all the work for him has been around for a while, but Shuffle! was definitely the worst offender.

Oh, and for one of the answer fans, you mentioned that Parakiss was an example of a typical love triangle. Really? I always thought that Yukari spoiler[got over Hiro pretty quickly as soon as George came along. It wasn't like she was mooning over which guy to choose, and the series definitely didn't have the feeling of "Oh, which hot guy will it be!" I always thought of Parakiss as being a coming of age story where a girl gets into a relationship that wasn't good for her, but made her a better person. In fact, her ending up with Hiro was just a pleasant little surprise that was added at the end.] I mean, maybe you noticed something that I didn't. Either way, I found it interesting that you would have something like Parakiss on the same level as Peach Girl. Now Peach Girl was definitely a love triangle, or some other geometric shape.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
ANN's mad editorial crusade against moe is quite off-putting.

And the new Answerman gives away his journalistic credibility by outright admitting that he'll make sweeping generalizations about something he knows noting about.

Am I the only one who noticed the irony of the Flake of the Week having a legitimate point?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Any truth to the rumour that ANN will soon be offering, "Just Say Noe to Moe" keychains to new subscribers? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7