• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Resurrection Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I watched all 13 episodes on this set and the only things that turned me off about it is only 2 uses with the chainsaw and yet there is no blood whatsoever. In response to the person who mentioned the same thing its not just the cover art thats deceiving, also the ending song deceives you because the closing song also shows Hime using the chainsaw. And the other complaint is the lack of a dub track but I can live without it. If Sentai/ADV decides to make a dub track for Princess Resurrection and/or Clannad then I would gladly rebuy those on dvd or Blu-ray disc in an instant
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Looks like I'm the only one here who doesn't like the sub only release. Otherwise I would've been more tempted to collect the anime adaptation of the original Princess Resurrection manga, if it came with a quality and proper localization of both English sub and dub. I mean originality is a good quality to have simply due to its rarity, but right now the Sentai Filmworks licensed R1 anime DVD of Princess Resurrection from ADV isn't a quality production worthy of my contribution. However, it is a mockery to what could have been otherwise an enjoyable anime adaptation by Madhouse Studio.

But through the process of licensing the anime by Sentai Filmworks, Madhouse Studio as the copyright holder of the Princess Resurrection anime should had full executive decision on the R1 anime post production. So when I deemed the finished product of Princess Resurrection anime turned out to be a mockery with the approval from the original creators, needless to say I'm offended by that licensing decision made by Madhouse Studio, Sentai Filmworks, and ADV.

The real mockery is that Madhouse took a decent, fun-to-read manga and turned it into a dumbed-down, bland-as-vanilla adaptation that had little of the charm of the original.

An English dub wouldn't have salvaged this wreck.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
The real mockery is that Madhouse took a decent, fun-to-read manga and turned it into a dumbed-down, bland-as-vanilla adaptation that had little of the charm of the original.

At least I can still look forward to what could possibly be an enjoyable English voice acting, if nothing else. And since the anime series was aimed to be broadcast on TV network and not direct, straight-to-home video release, just what kind of explicit content you think that can be allowed on Japanese national TV network is beyond me.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Great Rumbler wrote:

At least I can still look forward to what could possibly be an enjoyable English voice acting, if nothing else. And since the anime series was aimed to be broadcast on TV network and not direct, straight-to-home video release, just what kind of explicit content you think that can be allowed on Japanese national TV network is beyond me.

Generally you're at least allowed the ability to show blood, which changes a part of the manga into something like he said, dumbed down and turned bland.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Generally you're at least allowed the ability to show blood, which changes a part of the manga into something like he said, dumbed down and turned bland.
That can still be the executive decision made by the original manga licensee, the Japanese medias publisher of the Princess Resurrection manga Kodansha. Madhouse Studio may have the copyright of the anime series, but why should the animated TV advertisement paid by the manga licensee, to outdone the original manga work owned by them? This is a case of the position of power within corporate ownership, pure and simple.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At least I can still look forward to what could possibly be an enjoyable English voice acting

If all I want to do is listen to people speaking in English, I can turn on CNN or C-Span. The show just ain't that good and no amount of English language dialogue will make the show anything other than what it is: a watered-down adaptation.

Quote:
That can still be the executive decision made by the original manga licensee, the Japanese medias publisher of the Princess Resurrection manga Kodansha. Madhouse Studio may have the copyright of the anime series, but why should the animated TV advertisement paid by the manga licensee, to outdone the original manga work owned by them? This is a case of the position of power within corporate ownership, pure and simple.

What? No, seriously, I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Anyway, they could have changed it because aliens came down on their flying cows from Venus and told them to change it, but that doesn't change the fact that anime got changed. And it was a change for the worse.

Quote:
just what kind of explicit content you think that can be allowed on Japanese national TV network is beyond me.

Berserk was a TV series. So are a lot of other series that have violence in them, among other things.

What I WANT is for the anime to have the aspects that made the manga good. If they can't get away with that on TV, then don't bother making an anime of it.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Quote:
At least I can still look forward to what could possibly be an enjoyable English voice acting

If all I want to do is listen to people speaking in English, I can turn on CNN or C-Span.
How do you perceive voice acting as the same as speaking?
Great Rumbler wrote:

Quote:

What? No, seriously, I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Anyway, they could have changed it because aliens came down on their flying cows from Venus and told them to change it, but that doesn't change the fact that anime got changed. And it was a change for the worse.
What do "aliens came down on their flying cows from Venus," has anything to do with Kodansha making executive decision on an anime TV series that they sponsored with their licensed intellectual property?
Great Rumbler wrote:

Quote:
just what kind of explicit content you think that can be allowed on Japanese national TV network is beyond me.

Berserk was a TV series. So are a lot of other series that have violence in them, among other things.

What I WANT is for the anime to have the aspects that made the manga good. If they can't get away with that on TV, then don't bother making an anime of it.
That's a bit too extreme even for a bias opinion, don't you think so? Using what was obviously an adult oriented TV violence during after-hour, as a standard for a teen program that was on a different time- slot altogether.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote
Considering the lowered expectations I had coming in, I found this pleasantly amusing. While I could certainly go for more of Hime with the chainsaws, I do feel I got my money's worth - then again, I did get this during the 50% off sale at Best Buy!

I do enjoy dubs, but I think it is pretty clear this would not support the cost, and I don't think ADV is in the position as of yet to take that kind of chance (considering the bloodletting they went through last year with the whole Sojitz debacle).

Considering the number of people stating that the manga is better, I might have to pick it up!
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

My point is that regardless of whether the characters are speaking in Japanese or English, the series just isn't really worth watching, particularly in light of the far superior manga.

Quote:
What do "aliens came down on their flying cows from Venus," has anything to do with Kodansha making executive decision on an anime TV series that they sponsored with their licensed intellectual property?

Nothing. Again, the point I'm making is that I don't care WHY they changed it. It could be for any reason or for no reason at all and I would still dislike the series BECAUSE they changed it.

Quote:
That's a bit too extreme even for a bias opinion, don't you think so? Using what was obviously an adult oriented TV violence during after-hour, as a standard for a teen program that was on a different time- slot altogether.

Yeah, that's an extreme example, but it's hardly the only one out there.

Madhouse or Kodansha or whoever couldn't even be bothered to show a drop of blood aside from a dark stain on the back of Hiro's shirt. They sucked most of the charm and humor out of the series in favor of giving it a broader market and I don't appreciate that one bit.

Again, I want the series to have the aspects that made the manga good. From the episodes I've watched so far, it doesn't really have that.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Quote:

My point is that regardless of whether the characters are speaking in Japanese or English, the series just isn't really worth watching, particularly in light of the far superior manga.
So sarcasm for the sake of complaining. that can't even count as you being cynical, just grumpy about something else that wasn't even anime related.
Great Rumbler wrote:

Quote:

Nothing. Again, the point I'm making is that I don't care WHY they changed it. It could be for any reason or for no reason at all and I would still dislike the series BECAUSE they changed it.
Yep, grumpy.
Great Rumbler wrote:

Quote:

Madhouse or Kodansha or whoever couldn't even be bothered to show a drop of blood aside from a dark stain on the back of Hiro's shirt. They sucked most of the charm and humor out of the series in favor of giving it a broader market and I don't appreciate that one bit.

Again, I want the series to have the aspects that made the manga good. From the episodes I've watched so far, it doesn't really have that.
You're just being grumpy because you didn't like what you see and you can't even figure out why, due to the fact that you just don't care what you're gonna see since it wouldn't made a different to you anyway. OK, we're done here.
reptilesandsamurai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Great Rumbler wrote:
Quote:

So sarcasm for the sake of complaining. that can't even count as you being cynical, just grumpy about something else that wasn't even anime related.
Great Rumbler wrote:

Quote:

Yep, grumpy.
Great Rumbler wrote:

Quote:

You're just being grumpy because you didn't like what you see and you can't even figure out why, due to the fact that you just don't care what you're gonna see since it wouldn't made a different to you anyway. OK, we're done here.

Huga!
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I was being sarcastic because it seemed like you cared more about whether these was an English dialogue track than whether or not the show was actually any good.

Quote:
Yep, grumpy.

Yes, I'm grumpy. I'm grumpy that a manga I happened to like got made into such a bland, watered-down monster-of-the-day series. And that I spent $30 on it solely because the cover promised me some of the things that made the manga good.

Just look at the cover: Awesome Hime weilding a chainsaw with everything splattered in gallons of blood.

Just look at the anime: Hime is still kind of awesome but the chainsaw shows up maybe twice and, oh yeah, there's not a drop of blood anywhere.

I have other complaints as well, but I'll save those for a rainy day.

Quote:

Err...what? I know exactly why I don't like it and that's more or less what I've said throughout my last few posts. Kondansha/Madhouse/whoever take the manga, toned it way down, and put out bland adaptation.

It would certainly make quite the difference to me if the adaptation had turned out to be a good series that was actually faithful to the tone of the original, sadly it is not.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:02 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Yes, I'm grumpy. I'm grumpy that a manga I happened to like got made into such a bland, watered-down monster-of-the-day series. And that I spent $30 on it solely because the cover promised me some of the things that made the manga good.
Am I suppose to take your words on that? That you had acutally bought the DVD at $30 when the suggested retail price was actually $39.98? I'm starting to think that you never bought the original manga either, and here you are being grumpy about something that you didn't even paid for to see in the first place. Heck, I don't think you even know why the manga was so great, because Hime surely wasn't always chainsaw wielding, and blood wasn't being spilled on every single page either. And those were your only complains about the anime adaptation:
Great Rumbler wrote:
Just look at the cover: Awesome Hime weilding a chainsaw with everything splattered in gallons of blood.

Just look at the anime: Hime is still kind of awesome but the chainsaw shows up maybe twice and, oh yeah, there's not a drop of blood anywhere.
And if you still don't like it, well take your case to Kodansha, who sponsored Madhouse Studio's production on the anime adaptation of Kodansha licensed Princess Resurrection manga. Because by licensing the manga story, characters, and setting to Madhouse Studio, Kodansha had full executive decision on how Madhouse should make the anime look like.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Am I suppose to take your words on that? That you had acutally bought the DVD at $30 when the suggested retail price was actually $39.98? I'm starting to think that you never bought the original manga either, and here you are being grumpy about something that you didn't even paid for to see in the first place. Heck, I don't think you even know why the manga was so great, because Hime surely wasn't always chainsaw wielding, and blood wasn't being spilled on every single page either. And those were your only complains about the anime adaptation:

Well, you caught me, dude. I was just lying about buying the DVD. Actually, I've never even watched the show before or read the manga. I just came in here because I'm a horrible person that gets off on spreading bold-faced lies. Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:48 am Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Am I suppose to take your words on that? That you had acutally bought the DVD at $30 when the suggested retail price was actually $39.98? I'm starting to think that you never bought the original manga either, and here you are being grumpy about something that you didn't even paid for to see in the first place.

Knock it off, DomFortress. I also bought my review copy for $29.98 retail at a local Best Buy. It isn't hard to find legit copies at that price (or cheaper) online if you look for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3